Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

mbw_151

Enlightened
Been looking for another Vision for a while, haven't seen any. I just grabbed a regular Minimus. These seem to be disappearing fast as well. This is a sad development, these are by far my favorite headlamps.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Good news, they discontinued the 100 lumen Minimus because they are making a 300 lumen Minimus! Hopefully there will be a Vision model of the new version as well.

I am so very pleased to be wrong: :)
From my experience, SF seems to upgrade a product via inline substitution & virtually no associated fanfare, and this doesn't appear to be like that. [...]

nja4k

Newly Enlightened
A 300 lumen vision with better batterylife and I am all over it.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they dumped the fresnel lens and that's probably a good thing, too many issues with artifacts and backscatter and not enough throw. Hopefully the runtimes are better too and they just didn't tweak the output with turbo modes and step-downs, we'll see.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they dumped the fresnel lens and that's probably a good thing, too many issues with artifacts and backscatter and not enough throw. Hopefully the runtimes are better too and they just didn't tweak the output with turbo modes and step-downs, we'll see.

While the fresnel lens didn't seem to bother me nearly as much as it did some users here, I'll agree that the reflector change is certainly a welcome upgrade.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might not be the place to ask but.........looks like no changes to the Maximus and Maximus vision? Anyone have the Maximus vision? Thanks.

mbw_151

Enlightened
It seems like all the 100 Lumen Minimus and 75 lumen Minimus Vision headlamps have been flushed from the retail system. Anyone have an idea when we'll be able to buy the new reflector models, 300 lumen Minimus and ??? Lumen Minimus Vision? I hope these aren't a victim of "Surefire" months (or years) or worse yet vaporware. Even though I hardly ever use my Vision on high, I want the new higher output version.

Step one of twelve, "Yes, I am a Flashaholic."

gunga

Flashaholic
Well. I got one of the last minimus vision headlamps in Canada. Nice deal. I echo what everyone has said. Beam artifacts, extra light on the edge that can be distracting with glasses. I added a bit of super lube to smooth the knob action but I could always adjust the output one - handed. I really just wanted a rotary control headlamp. The new version seems nice but is not quite what I wanted.

I did find an effective if somewhat ghetto fix for the beam. A large patch of DC fix covers the optic and smooths out the beam a lot. It's not super pretty and gets in the way of the red filter (that I won't use) but it works.

Edit: the red filter works fine.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1455308294.209076.jpg

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well. I got one of the last minimus vision headlamps in Canada. Nice deal. I echo what everyone has said. Beam artifacts, extra light on the edge that can be distracting with glasses. I added a bit of super lube to smooth the knob action but I could always adjust the output one - handed. I really just wanted a rotary control headlamp. The new version seems nice but is not quite what I wanted.

I did find an effective if somewhat ghetto fix for the beam. A large patch of DC fix covers the optic and smooths out the beam a lot. It's not super pretty and gets in the way of the red filter (that I won't use) but it works.

View attachment 1989

That's amazingly simple! Does it also eliminate the light artifacts/reflection that can hit you on your nose?

edited to add: I've never used my red filter, either. I find that with how dim the white light will go, you really don't need a filter for reducing output.

gunga

Flashaholic
Note. A user earlier in this thread used a glass frosting spray for the same effect. I think it would work well but don't feel like buying that just for this headlamp. I'd probably want to practice on something else first.

gunga

Flashaholic
Well. The DC fix is ghetto, and will not be durable in field use (where it won't be needed as much anyways), but it functions well. Smooth beam, no distracting prism effect. Probably cuts output, not great for Max output but great for sub lumen lows. The best solution doesn't exist. If the red filter was available as clear, DC fix could be used on that. That would be the best "solution". I may try the glass frosting spray but it's permanent and toxic. We'll see.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dont worry gunga, when you get your new ZL the Surefire will likely get permanently shelved or sold. At least if you like it as much as I like mine. I have used and tried quite a few headlamps and nothing even comes close to this one imo. Its perfect for my uses anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts