Surefire Maximus, Minimus AA, Minimus Tactical and Minimus Vision!

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. I know. I just really wanted a rotary control headlamp. No one else sells those.

Yeah there is a shortage of rotary control headlamps for sure. At least the ZL has a lot of different brightness levels though and with the programmability you can set it up anyway you want. It may be the next best thing to a rotary or infinitely variable sliding switch like on the Nitecore HC90. And, the button has a very nice feel too.

gunga

Flashaholic
What is the lens made of? Any one try scuffing it up with steel wool or fine sandpaper? I think that could work.

Edit : tried it. The surface is quite hard. Results were meh. I only scuffed the top area. I need to do the entire dome. Not feasible. So now polishing out the scuffs and using DC fix.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Well. The DC fix works well but I'm sure it cuts output and the surface is a bit soft and floppy. Just a bit too ghetto for me and my most expensive headlamp. I bit the bullet and used some frosted glass spray. It wasn't perfect:

- I ended up with a few q-tip lint bits.
- it was tough to get into the deep crevices around the lens (I probably put more than needed and rushed it a tad).
- I'm sure I did nothing good to my lungs (the stuff, like most spray paint, is toxic).

In any case, I'm happy with the results. It was about $11 here ($8 usd) and gives me the results in want. It cuts output a bit I'm sure, so Max output is reduced, but then again I wanted this for min output, a silent switch and ramping output. The beam is nice and smooth (though still square). There is still some light coming down on the nose potentially but so far it's not bothering me (I'll need to do more testing to see).

So here's a pic.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1455604490.928825.jpg

Highly recommend if you want a smooth beam and lower low. Don't bother if you're happy with the current beam profile or want max output of course.

This is old tech (cree XRE?) so the new version is intriguing.

The new minimus is 300 lumens, has 12 programmable levels on the dial, uses a push button switch and has the same reflector as the titan I believe. I don't know what levels are available or if a neutral or high cri version is planned. The new version doesn't fit my needs but could be far superior for many users.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...]The new minimus is 300 lumens, has 12 programmable levels on the dial, uses a push button switch and has the same reflector as the titan I believe. I don't know what levels are available or if a neutral or high cri version is planned. The new version doesn't fit my needs but could be far superior for many users.
Ye gods I didn't know it was that different. If they've moved away from the older rotary UI I confess to having no interest in the new model. :sigh:

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep. There is a button on the side. The rotary provides 12 levels. I think they are programmable but am unsure. I really like the old interface, so that's why I got it. I put a glow sticker on the dial and have a large trit coming for the battery cap. Pimping my headlamp...

gunga

Flashaholic
Small update. So usage has been great so far. The frost spray works well. Also, the lowest level is about the same as a zebralight h600fc on second lowest setting. Advertised as 0.05 lumens. Outstanding.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question regarding which model of the Minimus was first?

The smoother aka "G2 ish tail cap look" knobs with no tether on the battery door, or the more aggressive knurling that had the tether on the smaller battery lid.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK cool thanks,

I have my first Minimus coming and it has the G2/G3 looking battery "tube" style to it.

It's new but I am curious what my verdict is going to be...

May end up being a catch and release...

gunga

Flashaholic
It's hidden in this thread, but there have been numerous improvements. This is the only rotary control headlamp that exists and it works for what I want. A keeper!

gunga

Flashaholic
Here's post #52. Keep reading back. I think they changed the design late 2011?

---
The latest revision of the Minimus has addressed the body tension issue by replacing the two static tension pins with larger pins that have a small set screw in each pin to allow user adjustment of the tension to compensate for wear/manufacturing tolerances, the artifact issue has been eliminated by modifying the refector housing, excessive light knob tension has been adressed with internal seal changes, and the knob lengthened to improve grip. Additionally, a battery cap lanyard has been added to prevent knob dropping/loss.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems I might be looking at an earlier generation.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The more I use my Minimus Vision, the more I get the feeling the battery is draining a lot faster than it should. Do any of you feel like the battery is going dead long before you think it should?

Example: I replaced the battery and used the light for about 20 minutes. Next time I pulled it out of my bag, I turned it up to full brightness and it gave me the low battery warning flash. This all occurred within the last 3 months. I use USA made CR123 cells.

Greenbean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I read somewhere doing some research on the internet that some of the models of the headlamp were prone to rather thought I read somewhere doing some research on the internet that some of the models of the headlamp for prone to rather high parasitic drain, one user always loosens his battery compartment before putting it in his glove box.

Might be what's going on,