SureFire R1 Lawman

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Curse you Robin24k! I read your review and now I must buy one! Oh the humanity!

PS Please don't review the UNR Commander when it come out!

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire has confirmed that it's water-resistant.

Before taking pictures for my reviews, I always wash the lights with soap and water (to get rid of dust, fingerprints, etc. and also test water-resistance). I also filled the charge port with water and kept it there for a couple minutes, and the water level stayed the same so there was no ingress.

Curse you Robin24k! I read your review and now I must get one! Oh the humanity!
Hey, I said that the final decision is up to your budget or equipment allowance...don't blame me for it...

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price is kind of disappointing to me. If it was 250 I would eventually succumb to its pull and buy one :)

I agree, a little hard to believe that it will actually be used much as an LEO duty light at that price. Of course, SF might possibly give the lights to LAPD for almost nothing to promote the branding.

Speaking of the branding, the new SF light reminds me of that music again, the music that never fails to make me wonder what it must be like to strap on a gun, pin on a badge, and become - A LAWMAN!:

http://www.greaseman.org/bits_album_lawman.html

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
I've always been a big SF fan and am very excited that they have finally come out with a viable LEO light. Their old rechargeables were pretty good, but taking the battery out was just such a pain. The packaging, while cool, is a little bit over kill though. Loving the light already!

R1.jpg

R12.jpg

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened
lapolicegear has it for 320.

No longer in stock....and add $9.95 (or so) for shipping.
They are the cheapest Ive found though...I paid an extra $5 because I hem-hawed around and didnt order from them quick enough.
Got mine from Bravotac for $335 with free shipping. Ordered at 3:30 my time and had shipping confirmation by 4:30 my time.

Cant wait to get it. Been waiting a long time for a replacement from SF for my 8AX, and Im hoping that maybe this will fit in the holster the 8AX rode in for the last 6 years...otherwise the wait will be on again for the correct holster! LOL!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's an open-top holster, it should work fine. I'm using a Pelican 7060 holster, which fits pretty much everything...ML125, R1 Lawman, Stinger DS LED, etc.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
No longer in stock....and add $9.95 (or so) for shipping.
They are the cheapest Ive found though...I paid an extra $5 because I hem-hawed around and didnt order from them quick enough.
Got mine from Bravotac for $335 with free shipping. Ordered at 3:30 my time and had shipping confirmation by 4:30 my time.

Cant wait to get it. Been waiting a long time for a replacement from SF for my 8AX, and Im hoping that maybe this will fit in the holster the 8AX rode in for the last 6 years...otherwise the wait will be on again for the correct holster! LOL!

LAPG has 10% off coupons all the time..so your looking at around 300 shipped

python

Newly Enlightened
Good review, tkanks!!! :thumbsup:
The problem is the SF price.
I'll wait for price drop.
[FONT=arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Robin,

Do you have a comparison photo to show the difference between the Lawman and some other two batteries SF lights like E2DL, E2L, or even E2L AA? The last I remember, the Lawman seems huge in the hands of the SF spokesman during one of the SHOT Show video.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If it's an open-top holster, it should work fine. I'm using a Pelican 7060 holster, which fits pretty much everything...ML125, R1 Lawman, Stinger DS LED, etc.
It'd be cool to see photos of the R1 compared to other daylights; past and current to see how it sizes against them please

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a picture in the conclusion section of my review. ;)
It's actually quite small compared to the other lights, and I can feel a difference in size and weight between it and the Stinger DS LED that I usually carry.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
It that a Fury on the extreme left? If that is then I think the Lawman is huge in comparison to it.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's a Fury on the left. Keep in mind that the R1 is designed to compete with mid-sized rechargeable systems, not tactical-sized lights.

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened
Well, I think Robin mentioned it, but on my R1 the tailcap switch is VERY stiff.
No way Ill be using this as I did my 8AX. Could use that for a long time holding the tailcap switch in, as well as any of my other SF lights, but either mine has an issue, or Surefire needs to address the ridiculous pressure required to maintain the light "ON" with the tailcap.
Im hoping its an issue with mine only, but if not, c=ant help but think they didnt really do much field testing with officers before pronouncing it ready to go...I know several including myself that dont like the idea of having to hold that thing down during a traffic stop for a long time, or having to switch grips to activate it from the front for constant....the old one wasnt that way, and while I can see having it more stiff, mine is ridiculously so.
Again, Im hoping mine is just a fluke....Ive got big, strong hands, so a bit stiffer isnt an issue, as I did read that before I ordered, but this is bad.

BTW, I did email Surefire to ask them about the switch....awaiting their response. Hopefully it wont be "we purposely designed it that way", or Ill be one unhappy camper.
I know Robin said in his review that it was like that to prevent accidental activation in a "tactical situation", but then why werent the M3 and any of the others like that too?
Id say its got to do with the battery, and they had no easy way around it. My tailcap appears to be contacting the "removal ring" (for lack of a better term) at the same time as the cap hits the body to activate. Has marks on it consistent with the position of the ring.

Dunno....maybe I really do have a bad one...it happens.
Hopefully thats it. Will follow up when I know whats up for sure. Until its resolved, this one wont be on my belt though...back to the 8AX until then.

BTW again, the good news is, it will fit in the holster for the 8AX nicely.

Also, size wise, if you have a 9AN Commander (as I do), its the same size, minus the barrel width. Width wise, its like the 8AX. Just think of it as a more slender, much brighter, rechargeable 9AN with a REALLY stiff tailcap switch (jury is out on the last until I hear back from SF).

I really like the light. I think the brightness setting they chose will work well for a number of situations...I would like a bit lower low like for use in the car for paperwork or something, but it will do until they release the dongle (LOL) for it!

Again, I know others have said it, but thanks Robin24K for the review!

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
My tail switch is pretty stiff as well. Just a little bit stiffer than the 6PX Tactical I have. I also have a 6P Defender that is about 5 years old and the switch is noticeably softer. Then again, I also have a 10 year old E2 with a stiffer switch.

I just use the side switch.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's stiff, and that's normal...it was the first thing I mentioned to them, and the response was that it's designed to prevent accidental activation in tactical situations (hence the raised lip on the tail cap as well). Unscrewing the tailcap about 1/3 turn from constant on should make it a bit better, but if you want constant on, it's better to use the head switch or twist the tailcap, rather than holding down the tail switch. Keep in mind that if the light is on, tapping the tail switch will turn it off, so you probably don't want that to happen unintentionally.

My guess is that the R1 is designed for use primarily with the head switch, especially if you're using a multi-mode program set. I've got medium mode in memory for the head switch, so if I need more light, I can just twist the tailcap.

Id say its got to do with the battery, and they had no easy way around it. My tailcap appears to be contacting the "removal ring" (for lack of a better term) at the same time as the cap hits the body to activate. Has marks on it consistent with the position of the ring.
Mine has that too. It's probably from using constant on, not momentary. The removal ring does not serve any electrical purpose, the tail switch briges the center contact to the body.

Last edited:

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened
Mine has that too. It's probably from using constant on, not momentary. The removal ring does not serve any electrical purpose, the tail switch briges the center contact to the body.

I wonder if thats part of the issue. Maybe if the bottom of the inside contact ring was shaved a bit so that it didnt make contact, it would alleviate some of the issue?
Just thinking out loud, but Ive been playing with it a bit, and it almost needs to be rocked to the side to activate if its screwed down too far.

Not really something I expect from SF...but we will see where, if anywhere, it goes.

My real issue is that I want the light off when I want it off...and on when I want it on, which is why I MUCH prefer the momentary on. Basically, when I let go, I dont want to have to "click" it off. It also means I might as well have only one setting if I have to use the head switch, which kind of defeats the purpose.
Its more what Im used to, and as Surefire said its a direct replacement for my 8AX, and all of their other lights are designed with tailcap switch as the primary switch, Id think this would be the same, with an auxiliary head switch. It would seem that the opposite is true.
If so, Id then ask, why would they decide to change what LE likes in lights?
Its the reason Streamlight went to a tailcap switch....or a DS version.

Anyway....Ill either get used to it or get rid of it if SF says thats the way its supposed to be. It will be the first SF Ive ever gotten rid of if that happens though...

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you primarily using it in momentary from the tail switch? Tailcap switches tend to be preferred on smaller lights, and the R1 is the first SureFire with a head switch (if I'm not mistaken), so it's definately something different.

Usually there's a preference towards head switches on larger lights, so it's not trying to change LE habits. Imagine having to use a tail switch on the UDR Dominator...

I wonder if thats part of the issue. Maybe if the bottom of the inside contact ring was shaved a bit so that it didnt make contact, it would alleviate some of the issue?
Resistance comes from the tailcap spring, not the battery (it doesn't move), so I don't think it's related.