Surefire T1A Question

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
nbp,

I believe the Jetbeam RRT-0 and Nitecore IFE series go as low but they all have PWM. Noticed the PWM at work when shining it on a spinning fan. And other than them being brighter on high, both Jetbeam and Nitecore does not exude that level of confidence and reliability as the T1A.

scout24

Flashaholic
The only lights that I know of that go lower are the Spy series of lights from Data, and some of Milky's creatons as well. Milky built ma a Luna Floodmaster a couple years ago that is noticeably dimmer than my Titans on it's lowest setting. Pjandyho- Glad you like the T1A, It will grow on you... :)

schurtjl

Newly Enlightened
How does the T1A hold up to EDC in the pocket with keys, etc.? Does the anodizing and lens get chewed up? Any chance of it inadvertently turning on while in your pocket? Thinking of picking up one of these soon.

nbp

Flashaholic
Haven't had mine fighting keys or other stuff really, but I've seen pics of those who have keychained them, and they don't do too badly. They wear on the edges, but not terribly. It is unlikely to turn on in the pocket, I've never had it happen. There is a slight "click" into place when you turn it off, and that seems to be enough to keep it from activating itself. If it does happen to nudge on a little bit, I believe there is a auto off function at the lower levels after 5 min. or so. I *think* I am remembering that correctly. Guys?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since the day I bought the T1A (the day starts from my first post here), I have been carrying it daily and I love it! It is probably one of the toughest lights around. Carried it in the small pocket of my jeans (the one meant for cigarette lighters or coins), and it kept dropping out whenever I took down my jeans. To date, the T1A had fallen out of my pocket onto concrete floor a total of 6 times and only suffered 2 dents, one on the bezel, and one on the tail cap, and yet it still function flawlessly. I am amazed!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haven't had mine fighting keys or other stuff really, but I've seen pics of those who have keychained them, and they don't do too badly. They wear on the edges, but not terribly. It is unlikely to turn on in the pocket, I've never had it happen. There is a slight "click" into place when you turn it off, and that seems to be enough to keep it from activating itself. If it does happen to nudge on a little bit, I believe there is a auto off function at the lower levels after 5 min. or so. I *think* I am remembering that correctly. Guys?

Yes you got that right although until now I haven't been able to ascertain for sure where the exact point is where the light would shut down after five minutes. Those few times I have tried it seems to shut down on so low an output it felt lesser than 0.3 lumen. Tried cranking it up a little higher and waited for five minutes but it did not turn off by itself.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for one if they'd put enough thought into the keyring/lanyard attachment to have kept it tailstandable. Someone here did tease us with a flush custom tailcap for a while, but nothing ever came of it.

I wouldn't mind 70l for 1hr. That's still more efficient than my current edc, & I'd rarely if ever go past low/med anyway.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, would be nice to have the flat tail cap. Been looking for a custom maker but haven't been lucky.

nbp

Flashaholic
Hey Andy, how are you liking your T1A after a few months of use? For some reason this thread stuck in my head and I was curious. My T1A gets used every single night around the house and getting ready for bed/up at night. One of the all around most useful lights I have ever owned. I hope yours is serving you well!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Splendid! I love it so much! Sort of gotten used to the rather cool tint and I enjoyed playing with it so much I have it on my daily EDC routine. Even when chatting with my friends or wife over a cuppa I would occasionally take it out of my pocket to play with it by rotating it on and off several times. Very useful light I would say and I don't regret spending the money on it. Did I mention it is tough as hell? Dropped it on concrete floor more than ten times and not only does it still work, it showed only a slight ding on the bezel and tail cap. The low output is extremely useful for when your eyes are dark adapted and the rotary UI is fantastic in allowing precise control of output. I still do occasionally wished for a slightly higher output out of this light but I always have my HDS rotary to turn to. These two lights are on my EDC routine everyday now. The T1A covering the lower low and the HDS covering the higher high. Can't help feeling you are all covered with these two lights!

Thanks for having this thread and me in mind! :)