Survival Preparedness

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I just tried a package of Mountain House Turkey Tetrazzini that had to be 18 years old. It's one of the first bags I ever purchased for hiking here in Alaska. IT WAS GREAT! Tasted like I made it myself on the stove today! Shocking, I really didn't expect it to taste that good! I'll buy more!

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
Ok, seeing this thread come back up has drawn me in again. I have given much consideration to this issue under the proposed month long camp in.

It has gotten me to take a good hard look around the house and ask the tough questions. I learned that even though I have the "gear" to last, my home is not well organized or really properly stocked for the drill. It is now my new goal to correct this.

The areas for improvement:
-Upgrade water storage, better containers and more of them.
-Reorganize kitchen pantry with additional staples and clean out/sort freezer.
-Reorganize gear storage, I have three large storage cabinets in my finished basement that need an overhall. Sort the old gear that is no longer used out and repack the remaining gear with additional items like more toilet paper and such.
-Take unused gear and sort into new kits for family members to use in their cars and homes.

After those tasks are complete, I will look it over again...
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I live on Canyon Lake, but we had catastrophic flooding this past summer, and there's no telling how many septic systems (bad ones) that were submerged, not to mention all sorts of other nasties that flowed into the lake from the runoff. I will say that I would drink the local lake water if it were filtered with something like a MSR Waterworks II or better.
I searched for a long time for a lightweight food that actually tastes good and is nutritionally complete. Those dehydrated foods in grocery stores are flat-out nasty. Purchasing directly from the website is the best bet. They've got a large assortment of foods, but my favorites so far are Turkey Tetrazzini, Chicken Polynesian, Seafood Chowder, the beef stew, and the beef stroganoff w/noodles (also one of the cheapest in the large cans), but I haven't found anything that I have not liked. The quality is absolutely amazing. I know I sound like a salesman for them, but I'm not. I was just overjoyed at finding a product like this. I had to eat alot of questionable things before I found it. They ship free for orders $50 and up, and they always have a freebie special going on. Right now it's buy 10 things, get the cheapest free. The link is:
http://www.mountainhouse.com/

Kirk

Enlightened
I still lean toward MREs for "survival" food. Ready to eat. No preparation. No water needed. And I think they taste good. I especially like MREs when backpacking. I use the military heaters so I need very little water to heat the food. All the water I carry (especially IF you have to carry all your water--like in the desert) is for drinking. The also allows me to dispense with a stove, fuel, pots, eating utensils, and etc. No clean-up afterward; just toss the bags into your trash carryout bag. I feel MREs would be ideal when the power fails or bad weather keeps you stuck at home. As for water at home, our tap water tastes "interesting", so we've been buying the cases of .5 liter and 1 liter bottles of drinking water--whatever's on sale. These bottles usually have a 2 year shelf life. These get kind of expensive, but who said you had to get all your supplies all at once? Buy your supply of water first; as much as you want to spend per week or month, then get the food supply worked out. After all, most people can probably get by with what food they have on hand for a week or two.
Kirk

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting the Mountain House link, Virgo! They have quite a selection. I have added it to my bookmarks.

Speaking of basements (finished or not), I stored some regular long grain rice in a cabinet down here one year, and the mice got into it. It was in the bags it came in. Good idea to store things in Rodent proof containers.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kirk,

The Idea is that we all have unique needs and storage space capabilities. Your idea is good, as are all here. In the food department, a variety of different types is probably best. This is cook/no cook, heat/no heat, requires/does not require water types.

In this manner, a variety of scenarios can be covered.

Kirk

Enlightened
Albany Tom,
I've purchased MREs from Cheaper than Dirt, Sportmans Guide, and Major Surplus and Survival. I like the ham slice and the chicken & rice best, but all do well, except tuna & noodles; I don't do tuna & noodles. I also like most of the side dishes. I don't know, I just feel like I've had a "complete meal" if I get an appetizer (crackers, etc.), a main dish, a side dish, and a dessert. I suppose if you're camping and have been hiking all day, bark would taste good, with a little Tabasco, of course! As an aside, I bought some MRE desserts once. Most were good. 2 were labeled Fruit Pastry "Humanitarian Daily Ration--Food Gift from The People of the United States of America". Inside the foil bag were Pop-Tarts! Now, how "humanitarian" is that?
wink.gif

Kirk

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tom,
I have a vacuum packer but haven't tried it on things that "create" bugs yet. Other things that have this problem besides rice are dried beans & pasta. Guess I should take some flour & vacuum it. If weevils don't hatch, everything else should be safe. I would think even an insect would have problems surviving in a vacuum. TX

haertig

Newly Enlightened
Alongside all the stored food, water and other supplies I'd add a copy of the book "The SAS Survival Handbook" - by John Wiseman or it's smaller condensed version the "SAS Survival Guide". Also good is the "US Army Survival Manual (FM 21-76)". These are all probably available at your local Barnes and Noble. While most of us are probably urban/suburban dwellers and don't often have need to build spring spear traps for wild boars in the local parks, there still is a bunch of useful info in those books if the worst were to befall us.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camping is one thing. Backpacking is another. MREs are too bulky and weigh too much for extended backpacking. That is one reason Mountain House and others exist. Military Issue MREs come with Tabasco Sauce, instead of pepper.

Of course, we are talking about surviving at home for 31 days. From what I have seen, Mountain House cans offer the best for long term storage.

Tom, surplus steel ammo cans can be useful also.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
As silly as this sounds, with all the organic solvents and chemicals involved in the military paint on a can, plus the solvents of the contents, I'm too much of a weanie to put food in them with just plastic as a barrier. Besides, mine are otherwise occupied.
smile.gif

txwest - the lack of bug growth in a vaccum was the exact thought I had. Maybe time for an experiment? What vacuum level can a wevil withstand? Hmmmm... Also, I was figuring that the vacuum would reduce the moisture content, and splitting up the food into smaller bags would reduce the chances of all the bags being contaminated.

*sigh*
I need to redo/create the car kit, make an office kit, better plan for water storage, re-write my wish list, and try some of this new to me food.

Oh, and buy some rope for the office. I'm only on the third floor, and there are plenty of windows...

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
I had purchased some dintymoore beef stews for this years storm season and they had no exp date like veggies an franks &beans,rice etc.. so I called dintyM and the ladyhad me read pff the numbers on the can. Turns out most have a five year shelf life!! Thats pretty good for store bought stuff and lasts as long as MREs big cans too, hormel black label hams have a three year shelf at my local k mart. If you have to you can eat Mountain house dry.Number 10 cans store well, the bags have a very small(5 years I believe) compared to #10 cans 20yrs. I have some cans from 1978 their still tasty. 20 to 25 bucs for a water barrel and their not to big. Rotten.

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Kirk - where do you get your MRE's? Every one I've tried tasted like, well, let's not go there. They're great if you like them, though.

Not having to heat or add water is an advantage, the weight is more than freeze dried if camping, assuming you find local water and filter it, otherwise it would be less weight to go with the MRE's. For home, I think MRE's + heaters would be a bit more expensive than freeze dry + water, but maybe not. Storage compared to freeze dry + water should be about the same, but you are saving a big hassle with the cooking gear and cleaning items. One of the reason I like to keep some commercial canned food. Heavy, but no cooking, water, or other supplies needed. You can eat right out of the can.

Charles - I've run into a similar thing, except with little bugs that came with the rice. That's the primary reason I've put a vaccum packer on my wish list. I plan to pack into smaller bags, and hope that the lack of air keeps the bugs from growing. Now I'm adding "big metal cans" to the list... Probably those big things they put popcorn in around holiday time...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, everyone here has got some great ideas. I'd like to save this thread for future reference. Is there an easy and uncomplicated way to do this?
Ron: Glad you mentioned it, I like the taste of some of the dry Mountain House also. The dried broth of the beef stew is delicious as well as that of the seafood chowder, but I must admit that I haven't tried a dried chunk yet.
wink.gif

Seems like I read somewhere that the company had cracked open one of the #10 cans for the space program from the '60s, and it was still as packed and tasty. I'm 28, and I must say that it would be an experience eating food actually older than I am.
grin.gif
The pouches, which I buy alot of, are rated at seven years I think, while the #10 cans (great for emergency home storage), are rated at 30 years. Anyone else have any favorites they might recommend?
Edit: Ooh, I could use a 20-gallon barrel, or two...

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by stingray:
You can use your car to charge batteries and run 12 volt items to an extent, if it wasn't totalled and had plenty of gas at the time.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Better yet, have a couple of Electric vehicles charged, and you can run your entire house for many days... or just the essentials for months. Add solar panels to the roof, and you have a limitless supply of heat and light and refrigeration, etc... (this all assumes that the mushroom cloud didn't put enough dust in the air to prevent sunlight from reaching your array
frown.gif
)

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
Good idea to store things in Rodent proof containers.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We buy rice by the 25-pound bag and store them in the bottom of our second small deep-freeze. Only way we've found to keep the buggers out of it (both small and large). The deep-freeze also holds many more weeks of food supply....

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by virgo:
Wow, everyone here has got some great ideas. I'd like to save this thread for future reference. Is there an easy and uncomplicated way to do this?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Simply click on "File" and then "Save As..."

You'll need to do it for each page of the thread (currently 2). This will simply save the entire thread as a HTML document which you can view with your browser at any time.

Note - If you are offline when you open the file, you will loose most of the pictures & smilies as these are just links to other internet hosts (All text and the page format will still be ok
smile.gif
)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Excellent, thanks x-ray! I wasn't sure if I would have to do it for each page or not.