The best flashlight ever?

fyrstormer

Banned
Not quite sure about the claim, but I like the sustainability of it as long as he's using steel parts that would otherwise be thrown away.
He bought a fully-assembled flashlight that required industrial equipment (and probably fossil fuels) to manufacture, then put it inside a stick. It would be more sustainable to leave the flashlight as-is and use the sticks to mulch a garden. There's nothing wrong with innovation, but let's not start attaching buzzwords just yet.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
...and you can put your weed in there!

I think he's either doing a psychology or marketing experiment through kickstarter, or is sorely lacking in feedback -not just on this project.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...when he started trying to sell me iron pipe as a handy way to screw the light in a base...he lost me.

This is a hoax or inside joke...or a very sad day in the history of American progress.

The above analysis regarding mulch is smack on point.

Sorry, but you must be CPF'in© with us.

obi

Sent from a long time ago...in a galaxy far, far away.

ssvqwnp

Newly Enlightened
Wow, now I've got wood...

Oh, and about the link to that Sanyo lamp in post 15: It says there's an accelerometer inside to let the light switch between lamp mode and flashlight mode -- neat. However, it also states that it goes into flashlight mode if the lamp is turned 90 degrees or more... I guess you can only look at ceilings and walls in flashlight mode, nothing on the floor.

fyrstormer

Banned
...and you can put your weed in there!

I think he's either doing a psychology or marketing experiment through kickstarter, or is sorely lacking in feedback -not just on this project.
That actually sounds pretty plausible. It does look like a college project for determining if people will pay more for a product plus useless gimmicks than they would pay for the product alone. I, being someone who buys a medium-size combo meal instead of a large even though the large is only a few cents more, am an outlier in his market demographic.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
That actually sounds pretty plausible. It does look like a college project for determining if people will pay more for a product plus useless gimmicks than they would pay for the product alone. I, being someone who buys a medium-size combo meal instead of a large even though the large is only a few cents more, am an outlier in his market demographic.
Paying for more than you'll use is only waste, in my book.

I'm guessing it might float. That's one good thing.
No, floating the streamlight module alone would take a decent chunk of 2x4. Then the pipe bits, and batteries...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, taking a flashlight and sticking it into a stick is not that innovative in of itself, unless you want brownie points for being the first to want to.

I mean, why not just take a Surefire, etc...and stab it into the wall, presto A WALL LIGHT! Add the pressure switch to the outside of the wall, and you now have a wall light with a wall switch.

Want a ceiling light? - Stab it into the ceiling.

And so forth.

:D

Someone here put a light in the crotch of a tree many years ago, and visited it taking pictures as the tree grew over the light...so, over time, you'd have a light in a tree naturally...not inserted into a drilled hole, etc.

THAT would be a more interesting lamp to me at least, but I would think the production times would make backorders a nightmare.

I wonder if BAMBOO grows around stuff the way trees do?

:naughty:

Bamboo is already hollow, pretty strong, grows fast...maybe a better starting point.

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bamboo is already hollow, pretty strong, grows fast...maybe a better starting point.
Next time I go home, I'll visit the old place and get some bamboo. Or maybe my aunt can ship some from Florida? That stuff'd let D cells in...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sweet, we'll get the kickstarter $ ready!

:D
One big problem with bamboo is that it likes to split. If I were to sell these, I could only do it if I found a way to keep them from splitting. The walls between chambers are also very brittle, like thin-cut end grain of wood but worse.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
One big problem with bamboo is that it likes to split. If I were to sell these, I could only do it if I found a way to keep them from splitting. The walls between chambers are also very brittle, like thin-cut end grain of wood but worse.

I know!

Insert the bamboo into a flashlight tube!

:hitit:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Insert the bamboo into a flashlight tube!
I was actually considering going the other way - drill out bamboo and insert a stock MiniMag LED. This requires a bamboo section that will house the head, and a separate, smaller section for the body. And finally, maybe another bit for the tailcap. Epoxied on, with a muted-color mag lite, you'd probably get away with it.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
On a positive note, if it ever quit on you, all you have to do is get rid of the batteries, light the end on fire and you have candle mode! Blow out the flame and the glowing ember will give you hours of ultra-low/map light mode! Just don't get it too close to the map! Come on people, lets think outside the box!

fyrstormer

Banned
The only thing I can't tell you is what kind of resin to soak it in. I never found out that part. But basically it turns the bamboo into a composite material very similar to carbon fiber, except more combustible.