The DEFT EDC is out!

fyrstormer

Banned
It's not so good for heat conductivity, but it's great for flexibility. Of course, I don't think anybody would buy a special DEFT model just so they could swap the light engine for something more pedestrian, so the loss of flexibility doesn't matter in this case.

Perhaps it's a bad question to ask, but how much is the XP-C emitter overdriven in this setup? As I recall, their OEM specs (admittedly designed for inferior heatsinking) don't allow for much wattage.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not so good for heat conductivity, but it's great for flexibility. Of course, I don't think anybody would buy a special DEFT model just so they could swap the light engine for something more pedestrian, so the loss of flexibility doesn't matter in this case.

Perhaps it's a bad question to ask, but how much is the XP-C emitter overdriven in this setup? As I recall, their OEM specs (admittedly designed for inferior heatsinking) don't allow for much wattage.

The LED is run at 1.4A which is quite beyond the max spec. Trying to squeeze every last drop out of this LED. Of course max spec is set not only for less than stellar heatsinking but for lower bin parts and on top of all that to be able to last 10s of thousands of hours. The combination of extremely good heatsinking, high bin parts, and lack of a need for tens of thousands of hours in use allows me to push it far beyond spec.

In my tests the LED will hold steady at 1.6A with good heatsinking so I decided to back off that a bit for reliability's sake. Pushing the LED this hard and keeping the P60 format is a recipe for a dead LED in short order. You can also see why I went "overboard" on the thermal path front. P60 has a place in the market just not in my lights.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome.....Awesome.......Awesome.

I been wondering when these would come out.

In the beamshoots in your website the Aspheric beam doesnt show CREE Wires???? My Aspheric XR-E R2 show that square with lines, but does XP-C Aspheric not show those????

Thanks,
Jose

CKOD

Enlightened
Just for curiosity, how big is the XP-C die? Just wondering about A/mm^2 vs A/mm^2 for comparing to other emitters. Either way, running at 300% recommended max current is quite a stout overdrive.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome.....Awesome.......Awesome.

I been wondering when these would come out.

In the beamshoots in your website the Aspheric beam doesnt show CREE Wires???? My Aspheric XR-E R2 show that square with lines, but does XP-C Aspheric not show those????

Thanks,
Jose
Are you referring to the current spreaders or the bond wires? You can see the current spreaders on a white wall but not in normal use. The bond wires do not show however. It also does not have the artifacts that the XR-E had(rings).

Just for curiosity, how big is the XP-C die? Just wondering about A/mm^2 vs A/mm^2 for comparing to other emitters. Either way, running at 300% recommended max current is quite a stout overdrive.
The XP-C die is .68mm x .68mm. That makes it about half the surface area of the XR-E depending on the chip used. It should be noted that the actual die is rated at 1A max so 1.4A is not that far off from that. :)

Curt R

Enlightened
Are you using the XP-C or the XP-E? The XP-E can take 1.4 Amps with
your method of heat sinking, but the last time I checked the XP-C was only
rated at 500 mA and could be safely driven to 750 mA.

Curt

fyrstormer

Banned
In my tests the LED will hold steady at 1.6A with good heatsinking so I decided to back off that a bit for reliability's sake. Pushing the LED this hard and keeping the P60 format is a recipe for a dead LED in short order. You can also see why I went "overboard" on the thermal path front. P60 has a place in the market just not in my lights.
Oh yes. Knowing what you do to poor, innocent little LEDs that never hurt nobody, the need for a good thermal path is a given. ;) Mostly I'm surprised you're able to run so much power through a small-die emitter without overwhelming the one part of the thermal path you can't control -- the N-P junction inside the emitter die itself.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using the XP-C or the XP-E? The XP-E can take 1.4 Amps with
your method of heat sinking, but the last time I checked the XP-C was only
rated at 500 mA and could be safely driven to 750 mA.

Curt
It is indeed an XP-C.:eek: Shock! Horror! The XP-E can take quite a bit more than just 1.4A without breaking a sweat. 2A in an XR-E is about the limit though. So armed with that knowledge one might assume that 2X overdrive limit would also apply to other LEDs in the same chip technology/package family. It does not however scale linearly. The smaller the die the more the percentage of overdrive you can do. In one sense you can look at the XR-E as being nothing more than an XP-C die but with a heater around the border since the extra die surface acts to heat the die and package. Without this "extra" heat the die can then be driven even harder before reaching the same junction temps.

In the end it should also be noted that different manufacturers have a different opinion of what a "safe" drive level is. I would never expect or chastise Surefire for not running their LEDs this hard. The entire point of my company and what I do is to push things to the limit and give my customers an exceptional experience. That's what I aim for anyhow.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster

I'm confused. I see the pictures, but the beam is alot nicer then one would expect with aspheric plus it even looks like it has throw and alot of usefull spill

Is that about right?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saabluster

I'm confused. I see the pictures, but the beam is alot nicer then one would expect with aspheric plus it even looks like it has throw and alot of usefull spill

Is that about right?
The beam is a normal aspheric pattern. Any apparent "diffusion" is an artifact of the fact that I was holding the light in my hand when the picture was taken. Since it is dark the exposure is longer and any shakiness in my hands while the shutter was open would cause a diffusion effect. Also the shots are zoomed in so I think that is what is tricking some people into thinking the beam is much wider than it really is. It is essentially just like the old DEFT but slighty larger.

bedazzLED

Enlightened
I tried and tried to hold out until pay day (blast that damned monthly pay!!), then I noticed the quantity in stock went from 50 to 40 to 30 in very short order!

So my order has been placed and just waiting for my order-has-been-shipped email to be sent!

Can't wait for this little beauty to cross the ocean to the land down-under!

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Hi saabluster.

Is your mailbox issue fixed? I've tried to contact you the past few days about my order but no response yet so I thought maybe the emails are not getting through.

Regards,
bedazzled.