The DEFT EDC is out!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi saabluster.

Is your mailbox issue fixed? I've tried to contact you the past few days about my order but no response yet so I thought maybe the emails are not getting through.

Regards,
bedazzled.
If you are who I think you are then you should have the shipping notification by now. It got sent on Monday.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically OTF lumen is about 75-80% of emitter lumens with a regular lens...what about with an aspherical lens? This will be my first aspherical lens light.

CrowdGather

Newly Enlightened
I just got mine last night and it is sweet! can't wait to take my kids out at night so we can zap the stars in the sky with this little bad boy!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically OTF lumen is about 75-80% of emitter lumens with a regular lens...what about with an aspherical lens? This will be my first aspherical lens light.

Depending on the focal lengh I have seen as little as 25% less OTF vs. reflector set-up, but some cheaper DX Zoom types are as much as 50%.

Still, with high lux lights like this the OTF lumens is not an issue and Saabluster is my new super Hero!

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, 240L becomes 190L with a normal lens (240*.8) and then 144L (190*.75) with the aspheric lens, that sound about right?

On a different subject... I would assume that this light picks up no additional lumen with an IMR cell due to only drawing 1.4a and being regulated. Am I correct?

Walterk

Enlightened
When will someone post a review with proper beamshots inside and outside, maybe with Lux-readings and compared to other common flashlights?

Edit:
I monitored this thread as I hoped it would be a light that I would like to buy.
Do you refund when the Deft EDC is not giving 90% satisfaction?

Edit 2:
Thx for your reply, it is good to know what service level can be expectated.

Last edited:

one2tim

Enlightened
Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, this is sketchy now that I read the German forum's opinion. I have used aspherics, but only with intention of doing more of a McGizmo XRU style collimation of the beam rather than a focused image of the die for throw. My results with the former application have been great. I have an SST50 behind an aspheric lens and the results are nothing short of a theater spotlight in my hand.

This is going to need some informed objective reviews before I'll consider pulling the trigger.

obi

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered one and I can't wait to get it. I'm not expecting it to be as impressive as my DEFT enthusiast, but for a smaller sized aspherical I'm sure it'll be top of the line for its size. Michael has done a spectacular job at making his DEFT an awesome light and I doubt he has done any less in creating this light - the DEFT edc. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll attempt to get side by side beamshots comparing my full size to the newer edc version. So Michael... Hurry up and get me my light!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will get out to do a side by side comparison with my "C" and "D" mag aspherical lights but I wll say, without the benefit of some more critical testing, the DEFT EDC has VERY favorable results out to about 50 yards and, considering the huge size differential, this is one amazing feat! This week I'll get out...really!!!

Karl

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
When will someone post a review with proper beamshots inside and outside, maybe with Lux-readings and compared to other common flashlights?

Edit:
I monitored this thread as I hoped it would be a light that I would like to buy.
Do you refund when the Deft EDC is not giving 90% satisfaction?
Walter I posted some more beamshots on my site. I put forth great effort to make sure the shots are as accurate as possible. The original shots on the site did not include a non-zoomed version and my hand was a bit too shaky but the exposure was spot on. It always annoys me to see people trying to sell their lights by using overexposed shots to exaggerate the performance of the light. That's what I was concentrating more on intially. The water-tower shots up now give a sort of "white wall" shot that is comparable to using an interior wall for normal reflectored lights. IMO an interior white wall shot of an aspheric is utterly useless.

If someone really just didn't like the light I would take it back and refund the purchase price as long as the light was in its original condition. I can't refund shipping costs or any customs fees that have transpired as there just isn't enough profit in these lights for that. I don't run a flashlight loaning service. I do however take care of my customers if there are ever any functional problems with the light. I won't abandon my customers after a sale.

Can anyone access the beamshots from this german light forum? http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/taschenlampen/5782-omg-lumens-neuer-deft-edc-xp-c-q4-led-2.html
they defently don't like the deft-edc over there. I received mine yersteday, but its my first asperic and don't have any others to compare with.
Edit: I like the output of the light, just want to see some comparison with other asperical lights. To see if it was worth the extra $
I have access to the pictures over there. Just some teardown pics, a DEFT-edc beamshot vs the DBS V3 XR-E, and a graph showing his measured performance of various lights.

I don't know if it would be right for me to post a pic of his graph here or not so I will just give you the figures off of it.
[email protected]
Dereelight DBS V3 XR-E R2 Aspheric 22.29
Eagletac M3C4 XM-L 20.71
Brinyte D8 Q5 17.22
DEFT-edc 14.10
Tank SST-50 13.99
Eagletac M#C4 3x XM-L 6.82

Multiply his numbers by about 3 and you will get numbers closer to the performance of these lights at 1m.

You are quite right that they are being quite harsh over there. And quite unfairly I might add. Maybe some people feel I am not bound by the laws of the universe and have therefore set their expectations a bit too high. Take a look at that list of lights. Those are far bigger lights than mine. Anyone who knows anything about how lights work knows that in the game of throw size is almost everything.

I suppose I didn't realize just how easy it was to market a light when you can say "The longest throwing LED flashlight in the world". I can't say that with the edc. Of course it always takes a bit of the shine off when you have to qualify your claims with "at this price" or "at this size" and so on. But credit should be given where credit is due. There is no light in this world that can beat the edc at the same size. That is a significant accomplishment. Sure you can buy a bigger light with better performance but it is... bigger. My light has taken the P60 size light to the absolute limit(barring some yet to be released proprietary tech). My reward for having worked so hard to push technology farther than anyone else in this industry is the castigation I have received over there.

Yeah, this is sketchy now that I read the German forum's opinion. I have used aspherics, but only with intention of doing more of a McGizmo XRU style collimation of the beam rather than a focused image of the die for throw. My results with the former application have been great. I have an SST50 behind an aspheric lens and the results are nothing short of a theater spotlight in my hand.

This is going to need some informed objective reviews before I'll consider pulling the trigger.

obi
I know it is hard for many people to believe that the seller could possibly be objective about their own product but I am. I treat my kids the same way. There must be a degree of emotional detachment or else it is hard to see and fix the flaws. I won't bore you with how awesome the light is as that probably will not be given the credence it is due. Here's the "flaws" as I see them.

I would prefer the aluminum used was 7075
The anodizing is only type II
There are some very tiny nicks here and there on some lights(although I do go through and discard the ones that are in my opinion excessive)
The switch is a reverse clicky and is not as stout as I would prefer.
The lanyards are junk. The worst I've seen frankly. I am in the process of buying some from elsewhere to remedy this.
The threads are quite smooth after we have gone through and de-burred them but there is more play in them than I like.
I wish the lenses were AR coated.

That's about it I suppose. Overall though I think the light gives a very good impression. Each light I finish I ogle over as I am wrapping it up.:D

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered one and I can't wait to get it. I'm not expecting it to be as impressive as my DEFT enthusiast, but for a smaller sized aspherical I'm sure it'll be top of the line for its size. Michael has done a spectacular job at making his DEFT an awesome light and I doubt he has done any less in creating this light - the DEFT edc. Unless someone beats me to it, I'll attempt to get side by side beamshots comparing my full size to the newer edc version. So Michael... Hurry up and get me my light!
No the edc will not be a replacement for your Enthusiast. When I was making the original DEFT I had many people blown away by the performance but sad they could not take it with them everywhere due to the size. The DEFT-edc is the answer to that prayer. It is small enough to stick in your pocket without having a massive lump sticking out causing people to question the level of "happy thoughts" running through your head. ;)

What kind of switch does this light have?
It is a single stage reverse clicky.

egrep

Enlightened
Great update from the maker. I too am bound by physics and appreciate what he has to say there. The frank description of the shortcomings makes me want to buy a light just to reward that honesty. I'd really like a pocket light tuned for max throw and I know it'll take innovation to achieve the best possible result.

I still have not been able to learn of the UI for this light. I'd like to know more about that. Though I see it's a reverse clicky. I suspect it's got 2 or 3 brightness levels, no disco modes.

One more thing. Remember Osborne computers. What happened there was the market places knowledge of soon to be revealed new technology/products. That killed sales of the existing product with deflated capital which had negative impact on the companies viability and ability to release the new product.

Due to spending too much lately and out of anticipation of purchasing your next light (in your own host?) will likely be my tack. But I do plan to keep an eye out here :)

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my DEFT EDC arrived this morning, in tip top, pristine and shiny condition.

Like the Seraph host, first time I've seen one in the flesh, not sure what the difference is with the modifications, but it feels like a quality light. Threads were smooth and the O-ring was greased adequately. Lanyard not brill, discarded anyway! Popped in an 18650 and Voom! Nice and bright and concentrated. Not a light for map reading unless you put the torch across the room from your map, or maybe across the road?

On first impressions, I like it. Brighter than my old Recoil Ultrafire 007 and my SAIK SA-9 (the former a backwards facing reflector light, the latter an aspheric) but not as bright as my DX CREE Mag 3D Aspheric. Unfair comparison with the mag though.

Very much daylight around here so pics up later today hopefully.

I think the term EDC might be a misnomer, or at least a bit tongue in cheek. The excellent optic and throw that this light advertises is a specific tool. Also being a single stage light, I don't see how this could be your only light for EDC carry, it's applications and it's strengths lie in the throw. It remains not my first choice for close work.

That said, I would be happy to have it on my belt and a smaller light (take your pick, Lumapower Incendio, Fenix PD20, HDS Twisty, etc etc) in my pocket and I'd be all set for any eventuality.

Saabluster, how is the waterproofing? and I haven't tried, but is the top end removable to access the led/optic?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that thoughtful reply.

I wish you luck with this new model for sure!

obi
Thank you sir.:thumbsup:

Great update from the maker. I too am bound by physics and appreciate what he has to say there. The frank description of the shortcomings makes me want to buy a light just to reward that honesty. I'd really like a pocket light tuned for max throw and I know it'll take innovation to achieve the best possible result.

I still have not been able to learn of the UI for this light. I'd like to know more about that. Though I see it's a reverse clicky. I suspect it's got 2 or 3 brightness levels, no disco modes.

One more thing. Remember Osborne computers. What happened there was the market places knowledge of soon to be revealed new technology/products. That killed sales of the existing product with deflated capital which had negative impact on the companies viability and ability to release the new product.

Due to spending too much lately and out of anticipation of purchasing your next light (in your own host?) will likely be my tack. But I do plan to keep an eye out here :)
The UI is as simple as it gets. Push button and the light turns on. There are no modes to worry about. I do not consider this a bad thing either. With a dedicated thrower such as this the whole point is about throw. Generally when you need a light like this there is no such thing as too bright. When you are spotting you can use all the light you can get.

Well, my DEFT EDC arrived this morning, in tip top, pristine and shiny condition.

Like the Seraph host, first time I've seen one in the flesh, not sure what the difference is with the modifications, but it feels like a quality light. Threads were smooth and the O-ring was greased adequately. Lanyard not brill, discarded anyway! Popped in an 18650 and Voom! Nice and bright and concentrated. Not a light for map reading unless you put the torch across the room from your map, or maybe across the road?

On first impressions, I like it. Brighter than my old Recoil Ultrafire 007 and my SAIK SA-9 (the former a backwards facing reflector light, the latter an aspheric) but not as bright as my DX CREE Mag 3D Aspheric. Unfair comparison with the mag though.

Very much daylight around here so pics up later today hopefully.

I think the term EDC might be a misnomer, or at least a bit tongue in cheek. The excellent optic and throw that this light advertises is a specific tool. Also being a single stage light, I don't see how this could be your only light for EDC carry, it's applications and it's strengths lie in the throw. It remains not my first choice for close work.

That said, I would be happy to have it on my belt and a smaller light (take your pick, Lumapower Incendio, Fenix PD20, HDS Twisty, etc etc) in my pocket and I'd be all set for any eventuality.

Saabluster, how is the waterproofing? and I haven't tried, but is the top end removable to access the led/optic?

Glad to hear you like the light. The feel of quality is due to the work we put into these lights. The grip rings are made in house with a gold metallic fleck in a dark blue base which gives a sort of greenish/bronze iridescent quality to them. Unlike the OE rings I also make sure that the mold part line is hidden on the underside. I also gave them a nice quality texture.

The center machined finish sections are also done by us to provide a more cohesive external design that follows on from the bare stainless steel bezel. The combination of the bare metal and metallic grip rings is stunning in my opinion. I actually had to make a machine specifically for doing the machined finish on these lights. It is like a mini lathe essentially.

The threads as they come to us are very rough and gritty. After we get through with our de-burring process however they are very smooth. At several points through the build we are cleaning and re-oiling the threads always making sure we got all the burrs off.

The edc nomenclature is not intended to be tongue in cheek at all. To be fair many people have their own thoughts as to what edc means but to me it relates mostly to size. It is of a size that can fit almost any situation be it jeans in a casual setting or in a suit pocket. To me edc does not indicate that it is the sole instrument on ones person. Most of us here adhere to the one is none and two is one philosophy and a well rounded arsenal will include a light that can reach really far when the need calls for it.

It is not a dive light but it is fully o-ringed and should be just fine in the hardest rains you would ever experience. Even if it got flooded a rinse of the light in clean water will suffice. Unlike most lights I pot the electronics to protect them from any damage.