The DEFT EDC is out!

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my DEFT EDC the other day and have been remiss in posting. For that I am sorry. I own many lights but have always had a soft spot for lights that THROW, my initial experience being with some of Mac's HIDs, including the Elephant. I later became somewhat taken by the Aspherical lens designs and purchased several by Ledean and Mac. These were based on the Maglight platform and had, as I recall 50mm (or thereabouts) aspheric lenses. The performance was phenomenal! I had the opportunity to purchase two smaller aspheric designs by a company called Chapman. These were interesting lights with defocusing mechanisms but nowhere near the power of the Mag-based lights I had.

Then, I was most fortunate to find a new light by a guy by the name of saabluster, the DEFT, thethe ultimate aspheric light saber casting LED dies hundreds of yards! I had been spoiled by the smaller lights by Chapman but longed for a better performing light. What if a small sized aspheric COULD perform near the level of some of the "big guns"? I just got that light the other day as I've said.

When I received the DEFT EDC light I thought it resembled a ray gun out of Flash Gordon---rings glore and alternating annodizing and shiney Aluminum. From a size perspective it's about the same as my U2. That's about where the similarities end however. Up front is an aspheric lens, looking out the barrel as a bug eye. Pop in a freshly charged 18650 and awaaay ya go, casting the familiar but more squarish die shape near as far as one of my Mag based lights but....BUT...in a most portable EDC-sized light! This light is an incredible achievement for saabluster and this light truely turns the corner in terms of an amazing throwing light in a carry sized package.

It has become my current carry light into the fields spotting wildlife in the wee hours of the morning. Try it, you'll LOVE it!

Karl

Edit: One very important aspect of the DEFT EDC that has been drawn from the OMG Lumens original DEFT is the placement of the lens, well BEHIND the front of the bezel. One major downfall of many of the previous aspheric light designs was side light spill which forced the user to hold the light far in front of one's self to avoid being partially blinded. The DEFT EDC hs been designed so that this side spill is not a problem and this light may be used and held as any other light which one might carry.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I was out tonight later than I thought, so no chance to do any proper beamshots or comparisons.

But in the spirit of EDC, I snapped some Famous Landmarks in London, illuminated by this pocket rocket.

First up St Paul's Cathedral. Designed by Sir Christopher Wren with its huge Dome and Angels. Without Illumination, apart from the very bright kind supplied for all to see!

5979303415_4fbf58de67_b.jpg

Then with the DEFT EDC on the Angel above the arch.

5979862552_a78a4c1c88_b.jpg

I was 300 feet from the base of the arch.

Then a quick walk across the river Millenium bridge and the Thames to the Tate Modern Gallery, the high chimney.

5979302433_8a3966995a_b.jpg

I was about 250 feet from the bottom of the Gallery.

I'll do some more tomorrow with a better camera and some comparisons. But this little light is a lovely and very pocketable investment. Beyond the ability of my phonecam, the light will illuminate the wharves across the Thames at Tower Bridge (and atract some impressed tourists at the same time - I think they thought I was the police, such was the power of the light!

Great fun!

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I placed my order last thursday but haven't received a confirmation email of it shipping out yet. How long is it taking others to get theirs?

Nokoff

Enlightened
Nice shooting Nyctophilliac ... you wouldn't happen to have a T9 aspherical running 8.4V to compare real world at those distances would you?

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I placed my order last thursday but haven't received a confirmation email of it shipping out yet. How long is it taking others to get theirs?

I think it took 4-5 days to get my shipping notice....BTW this is a great little thrower......Robert.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice shooting Nyctophilliac ... you wouldn't happen to have a T9 aspherical running 8.4V to compare real world at those distances would you?

Nope. But I have a friend who does - I must see if I can borrow it. Although it is a bigger product, and running at a voltage the Deft cannot compete with - anyway the DEFT EDC is very small and does not suffer from having a bulbous end (!).

For my comparisons I have selected:

SAIK SA-09 (Focusing Asperical)
Led Lenser P7 (Sort of aspherical, focus optic anyway!)
Ultrafire 007 (Backwards facing reflector-projector of led die)
Solarforce Skyline II (DEEP reflector thrower)
DEFT EDC

these are all approx the same size although they use different cells. I was going to include my Thrunite catapault, but it's a bit big. Of the various 18650 lights I own, that have reflectors, I have chosen the Skyline II as it has easily the best throw of any of them.

OK I'm off with me camera now. God help the neighbours!

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was fun!

Here's the line up:

5982846098_8713ae9a75_z.jpg

From the left SAIK SA-9, SOLARFORCE SKYLINE II, DEFT EDC, LED LENSER P7 AND ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007.

Head on.

5982847240_16e7673274_z.jpg

Sorry about the dust!

Indoor shots down a thirty foot corridoor fstop 5 and exposures one fiftieth and one twenty fifth of a second.

SAIK SA-9
5982849258_f7d4b6905d_m.jpg

5982856572_9d525489cc_m.jpg

SOLARFORCE SKYLINE II
5982848276_fcc122f43d_m.jpg

5982296971_585d1d34aa_m.jpg

DEFT EDC
5982292381_8d8a07e843_m.jpg

5982291409_fe9f2f718c_m.jpg

LED LENSER P7
5982293419_46a512b912_m.jpg

5982855548_cc5bb175d2_m.jpg

ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007
5982850114_8d69e0b41a_m.jpg

5982290299_6079b8518d_m.jpg

As you can see, the DEFT EDC has a tiny tiny hotspot, but it is the 'Hottest' so thirty feet is not where this torch is at its best - LET'S GO OUTSIDE!!!!!

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meanwhile out of doors I take my life in my hands (knowing my neighbours) and here is a test at throwing about 100 feet in my back yard.

shots at one tenth of a second, one second and a couple at ten seconds.

First the balance
5982313331_c78ab86eef_z.jpg
5982312571_bd56d3e5ff_z.jpg

SAIK SA-9
5982306289_beed6376a8_z.jpg
5982307603_4db00f4f49_z.jpg

SOLARFORCE SKYLINE II
5982299119_b8172beef9_z.jpg
5982859092_4175ff038d_z.jpg

DEFT EDC
5982309951_364e860fd3_z.jpg
5982308919_8cdc1b86b8_z.jpg

LED LENSER P7
5982860994_b779edce9c_z.jpg
5982301919_950237993c_z.jpg

ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007
5982305365_4dec74f4db_z.jpg
5982864220_9057206059_z.jpg

Now, just because I like the shots, here are the DEFT EDC and the ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007 shot at ten seconds.

DEFT EDC
5982311323_647d9441cf_o.jpg

ULTRAFIRE RECOIL 007
5982304397_e8d35f4cf7_o.jpg

Anyway, as you can clearly see, the DEFT EDC is the tightest and brightest - really need to get a further target I think!

Tomorrow...

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo Nyctophilliac! Awesome shots! Thanks so much for risking your well being just to satisfy us Flashaholics beamshot lust ;)
I would be interested in seeing what this little thrower could do at longer distances as well!

samuraishot

Enlightened
Bravo Nyctophilliac! Awesome shots! Thanks so much for risking your well being just to satisfy us Flashaholics beamshot lust ;)
I would be interested in seeing what this little thrower could do at longer distances as well!

+1 Thank you for the awesome beamshots, Nyctophiliac!

Barbarian

Enlightened
Thanks to all of the members that have shared their opinions of this light. Nyctophilliac's great beamshots convinced me to place an order for this tremendous thrower.

Special thanks to my buddy Robert who graciously offered to send me his light for inspection, but is now not necessary because my order has been placed.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: I have already received shipping notice!!!

Last edited:

MTL-TL

Newly Enlightened
Beautiful shots Nyctophiliac. I'm not very camera genius, can u tell me at which exposure does the beam and the ambient light looks more like the real world, like what you say there ? That would help greatly. And also if you can put it up against Catapult, this would really put me on the map.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all of the members that have shared their opinions of this light. Nyctophilliac's great beamshots convinced me to place an order for this tremendous thrower.

Special thanks to my buddy Robert who graciously offered to send me his light for inspection, but is now not necessary because my order has been placed.

:thumbsup:

EDIT: I have already received shipping notice!!!

Thanks Tim you are always a class act. I know you will like your Deft EDC......Robert.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beautiful shots Nyctophiliac. I'm not very camera genius, can u tell me at which exposure does the beam and the ambient light looks more like the real world, like what you say there ? That would help greatly. And also if you can put it up against Catapult, this would really put me on the map.

Real world estimate, eh? Tricky. basically we can see 'quicker' than the camera, also we adjust according to which bit of the overall view we want to, therefore when I look at the hot spot on the house, it appears bright, then if I shift to look at the house next to the hoptspot, my eyes adjust and I can see that as well. I never see an overall image like any of the pictures. But I guess a good compromise would be to take a gander at the 1 second exposures. The tenth of a second are too dark, the ten second too light (makes the sky look almost like day, or at least dawn.)

Yeah, if you like I can do a couple of beamshots tonight up against the Cree Q5 DX 3D Mag aspheric (to which the DEFT EDC will most definitely lose) and my Thrunite Catapault V1 (with one 18650) I suspect the hotspot of the DEFT EDC will be brighter than the hotspot of the Catapault, and it will have more throw. It trashes my Fenix TK21 in this regard.

The thing that interests me most about the DEFT EDC is even though it puts out less overall light than many of the lights I tested, it's form and function are very very pleasing. The only thing I'd change now if I could would be to have a forward clickie, as I believe this would be a perfect signalling torch, and the reverse clickie makes that difficult if not impossible.

I hope you all enjoy this light as much as I.