The great toilet seat debate

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toilet Seat down, up or just DIY?

Ok is it just me but the whole issue of leaving the toilet seat up is a rather stupid issue?

Granted it is nice for guys to put the seat back down when they are done with No. 1 but that is not what Im talking about.

Some women get vehemently upset that you dont put the seat back down.

Cant I get equally mad that they dont leave the seat back up when they are done?

I have heard excuses that they assume the seat is down, like say late at night, and fall into the toilet.

Well guess what? Whose fault is that? yours. I'll admit I have done the same thing not checked the toilet in the dark and sat down to a seat up position.

I say, if its your *** then check the seat for yourself and move it accordingly. Stop assuming the world revolves around your needs.

Unless you are disabled.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Toilet Seat down, up or just DIY?

I agree. I don't see the problem.

Worked with four women in an office once and two new ones started whining about the seat after a few months. I told them it ain't gonna happen. Idiots! What the hell is so hard. Hell, easier to put down than lift it if you think about it.

Veiled profanity removed.
Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Imon

Enlightened

Lol, this thread is destined to head ... into the toilet if you know what I mean.

This has only been an issue a few times with me and of course the (explicit) instruction was "Why can't you sit down whenever you go to the restroom?"
To which my response was "Because it's easier to remain standing."
Anyways ... I don't think there's not going to be a consensus on this issue and both sides seem to have legitimate complaints but since, I assume, CPF is mostly men you'll only hear one side.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a self-closing toilet seat. You just tip it to start it falling and it closes slowly. It's pretty cool.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened

Ok is it just me but the whole issue of leaving the toilet seat up is a rather stupid issue?

A seat down is nice because it helps avoid one seeing splattered remnants, helps one avoid a cold sit-down surprise, and helps reduce micro-spray when flushing. If for none other than simple sanitary reasons, it makes sense. In this sense, everyone benefits when it's down. One perspective.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lol, this thread is destined to head ... into the toilet if you know what I mean.

Hehehe

In any case, although being a man, I thought I was being impartial. DYI! I don't see the problem..?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

After many years of marriage I'm now thoroughly trained to lower the seat. When I visit a bachelor friend he has to remind me to not do it.

Geoff

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Screw'em if they can't put a damn seat down. ANARCHY! :devil:

bapski

Newly Enlightened

like the OP, id been asked why i dont put the seat back down. i just ask them back why would i? do you put the seat back up for me?

@flying turtle, my case is opposite from yours. my wife has been trained with us 3 boys in the house that she makes sure to look and check that the seat is down before she sits in the middle of the night.. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Putting it down is such a small way to make the lady in your life happy. :)

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

Besides the point Monocrom, I don't think they should even DEMAND it like most women do. They expect it like it's their RIGHT...

It's not that it's hard, they shouldn't even ask it because you don't ask them to do it.

DM51

Flashaholic

A few years ago I got fed up with the seat being left down by women (Mrs. DM51 + 3 daughters :green:) so I fitted it with one of those spring-closure things they use to close doors. That way the seat stayed up until someone pushed it down and sat on it to keep it there, which seemed to me a good solution.

I adjusted the spring tension so it was not set too strong, or it might have flown up at an inconvenient moment, catapulting Mrs. DM51 into the air, although I was quite tempted lol.

Despite my considerate behavior in this, you would not believe the yelling and ranting :rant: that went on when they found out what I had done. After a while I could take no more and reluctantly agreed to dismantle it.

A lot of fun can be had with a roll of clingfilm. When stretched tight across the seat, clingfilm is almost invisible, but they immediately notice something peculiar when they sit down and there's usually a shriek of outrage. :crackup:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

You are evil but I LIKE IT! :devil:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

A lot of fun can be had with a roll of clingfilm. When stretched tight across the seat, clingfilm is almost invisible, but they immediately notice something peculiar when they sit down and there's usually a shriek of outrage. :crackup:

Now I see why you're favorite color is red. :devil:

BriteIdea

Newly Enlightened

I only have one thing to say about this debate and it's not wheather or not it's for or against the women.
Any time you flush there's always bacteria floating. If the seat is up when you flush that airborne bacteria can migrate throughout the bathroom. Your primary concern is your toothbrushes. For that reason alone, the seat is lowered prior to any flush and is left there. We've done this for years and there's no argument in our house bceause everyone knows the seat is down during and after a flush. It's all as simple as that.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is also such a thing as being overly protective about bacteria. In europe, our houses are spotless (well, in Sweden at least) and we normally have one or two cleaning products for counters, toilets and so on and no one's worried about disinfecting everything including shopping carts and frankly, I think we're healthier. A little bacteria is GOOD for you. Makes you used to things. Kinda like a vaccine.

Now, I'm not saying you should lick the inside of the pooper, but you get my point..

copperfox

Enlightened
The goal of the great toilet seat debate must be to decide what set of actions for a given household will result in the least amount of effort expended as a whole.

First, lets assume that 1 out of every 4 trips to the toilet for a man is a #2. Thus the seat is needed down for 1/4 trips for men and 4/4 for women, equaling 5/8 of all trips. This means that for any given trip to the bathroom where men and women use it with equal frequency, 62.5% of the time the seat will be used in a down position and 37.5% of the time the seat will be used in an up position.

Scenario #1: To make our math easy, lets say a household is one married couple. Each person uses the toilet 4 times per day, so 8 total uses. If the couple agrees to leave the seat as they found it, and the default position is down, then 5 of the trips (62.5%) will require no action, and 3 of the trips will require two movements each, a total of 6 individual up-or-down actions taken. So for 8 toilet trips, 6 actions were taken, all by the man. Under this scenario, it doesn't matter what order the people use the toilet in, as it has no bearing on how much effort is expended.

Scenario #2: Now it gets more complicated. Sticking with the single couple household, lets change the rules so that each person only flips the lid to his or her own requirements, and doesn't change it when he/she is done. 8 trips during the course of a day, alternating, means the seat is needed Down, Up, D, U, D, U, D, D. Assuming this pattern continues, the seat is down at the end of the day and therefore it's down at the beginning of the next day. Here the seat is moved 6 times per day, 3 for each person. This scenario results in more effort sharing between the two people than scenario #1, but it does not increase or decrease overall efficiency.

Scenario #2b: Unlike scenario #1, #2 will vary according to what order the people use the toilet. If the man uses it all four times, and then the woman uses her four turns afterward, the pattern changes to this: UUUDDDDD. This results in 2 actions, both by the man, resulting in an increase in efficiency. If the pattern is more randomized, say, DDUUDUDUDD, there are again 6 seat moves, 3 by each person.

Scenario #3: Family of 5; Mom and Dad, a son, two daughters. Policy is to leave the seat down when finished. If each person uses the toilet 4 times per day, that means the seat is needed up 30% and down 70%. This would be 12 seat moves per day, 6 per male, and none for the females. If policy changes to leaving the seat how you use it, then given a pseudo-random pattern of DDDUUDDUDDUDUDDDUDDD results in 10 or fewer seat moves per day, 5 for men, 5 for women. On a per-person basis,

Scenario #4: Family of 5; Mom and Dad, two sons and a daughter. Policy is to leave the seat down when finished. If each person uses the toilet 4 times per day, that means the seat is needed up 45% and down 55%. This would be 18 seat moves per day, 6 per male, and none for the females. If policy changes to leaving the seat how you use it, then given a pseudo-random pattern of DUDUDUDDUUDUDDUDUDUD results in 16 seat moves per day, 9 for the men, and 6 for women.

There are many more scenarios possible and lots of tweaking that could be done. What if men only go #2 20% of the time? What if women average 5 trips per day and men only 3?

I think that what these scenarios show clearly is that a policy of leaving the seat down when finished has the potential to waste effort. Men can argue that total effort can be reduced if each person simply puts the seat up or down according to his/her own requirements and then leave it that way.

Actually, the most efficient system would be to have a rigid schedule for bathroom breaks; not only when each person can go, but what they can do during his or her time. :devil::crackup:

Last edited: