The HDS Double Beryl 90% Diffuse Reflector

Johnnyh

Enlightened
I'm thrilled with the Double Beryl. The hotspot on my sample doesn't seem as pronounced as the photos earlier in this thread. Maybe the camera is playing tricks? Maybe I should wait for nightfall.

Great to hear feedback coming in...mine arrives tomorrow and will determine if I have to get more broke buying the upcoming orange and blue. I use dc-fix on all of my HDS lights and I'm hoping this will eliminate that need....and dc-fix doesn't glow in the dark! Look forward to hearing your thoughts when night falls.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put the double beryl on my rotary and switched my fully diffused over to my clickie. The double beryl is very nice. My sample seems to be done a little better than my green reflector (everyone should have expected this, the green was kind of a trial run, its still very nice though) as the coating is a lot smoother on this one. I have a slightly pronounced hot spot with this. It is pretty much what they say it is, a 90% diffuse. I love the beam profile. The blue is amazingly bright even after light exposure for just a very short while. I was actually able to use it last night as a candle to perform various tasks around the living room without waking up my babies. I give it an A+! if you missed out this time you definitely want to try to get in on it next go around.

tyu

Newly Enlightened
8NjVzvBl.jpg

All HDS with Nichia 219b 4000K emitters, lenses 2 feet from the white baseboard. Wall is gray. Left to right: Double Beryl, Surefire F04 diffuser, smooth reflector.

The Surefire F04 appears to have a hotspot in this picture, but it doesn't. The diffused beam is most intense at the center and fades toward the edge.

The "hotspot" is there on the DB, but you'll only ever see it if you're looking for it against a wall. While in use, it effectively doesn't exist.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
So between the two, which do you most prefer? I've never had/experienced the totally diffuse reflector.

I like them both. I love mules so the Fully diffuse is my favorite. I need to kill throw on my woods walking/hunting light so the fully diffuse will be used for that purpose.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We moved to two coats of the phosphor and then a final coat to diffuse the beam more. They turned out waaaaayyyyy better imho. Also takes way longer to make, but it's the end result that matters.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
We moved to two coats of the phosphor and then a final coat to diffuse the beam more. They turned out waaaaayyyyy better imho. Also takes way longer to make, but it's the end result that matters.

well the end result turned out fantastically. You all got them right. Nice product for sure.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
All HDS with Nichia 219b 4000K emitters, lenses 2 feet from the white baseboard. Wall is gray. Left to right: Double Beryl, Surefire F04 diffuser, smooth reflector.

That is a very helpful comparison shot. Thanks! The DB is a perfect light for indoors.

d13avo

Enlightened
I'm contemplating having my double beryl reflector fitted to my Titanium HDS as I think it would look cool.

JKolmo

Enlightened
I'm contemplating having my double beryl reflector fitted to my Titanium HDS as I think it would look cool.

That's where I will have it too. And hopefully the mafga orange in my naval brass.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
On October 29th at noon Tucson time, we will again be offering a small number of Double Beryl reflectors.
I sent an email to those who we had to cancel in the first run of these giving them an opportunity to purchase one ahead of time, so depending upon those 5 people, will depend upon how many we have left for the sale on the 29th.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a reminder that we have a few more of the Double Beryl going on sale today at noon Tucson time. Looks like only 11 will be available.

https://www.hdssystems.com/Products/Limited/

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya know I don't buy accessories just because they look cool.and I have absolutely no use for the blue moon. But for some reason I really want one of these.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya know I don't buy accessories just because they look cool.
I think that should be reason enough having a cool loking HDS :D

and I have absolutely no use for the blue moon. But for some reason I really want one of these.
My guess would be "they look cool" :laughing:

But at all interesting that the next reflector name will be. Hogo was talking about a green.... maybe grashopper would be a good name for a green reflector. (Btw. Grashopper was also the name of the engine that was used 1832 at B&O Railways). A yellow would also be a nice color for a GITD reflector.... or red ... or pink .... or purple... :hahaha:

TheJLew85

Enlightened
Seems like everyone has the Double Beryl reflector if there were 4 left. Maybe everyone is waiting for "Blue Moon"?

Everyone but me since I missed the boat on the Double Beryl... But am waiting on the next release. I picked up a Blue Moon to hold me over so I am excited to see how well it works. I love blue!