The Lounge 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumentia

Enlightened
Re: The Lounge

Who here has a legitimate use for 'good' flashlights? Not just an interest in shining bright beams at distant trees for the fun of it, but actually uses them as a tool to help do something in the darkness that otherwise wouldn't be possible or enjoyable without a quality light.

For me, I:

Hunt vermin for predator control (on the ranch) and use long range throwers to find distant prey and medium throwers (s200c2vn XML2 DD) mounted on the rifle for blasting them.

Use both headlights and edc lights at work every day to see deep into dark areas in daylight or light up tags, behind dashes, etc.

Enjoy seeing wildlife at night such as elk and deer

Sometimes need to see what is making strange noises or even illuminate undesirables trying to steal or cause trouble

hooking up stereo equipment

Camping (this is a big one for me- I usually have SEVERAL Vinh lights camping for various tasks although i could use a GOOD lantern.

Etc etc

I'm curious to hear about cops, firefighters, mechanics, search and rescue or other professionals and or causal uses for vinh lights and which models you prefer for such purposes ...ya'll have the floor!

Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

:mecry::crazy::broke::rolleyes::hairpull::help:

i reduced 5 lights i have for sale in the wts forum. i took off $15 for 4 of the lights and $10 for the other. There so cheap now it hurts to sell them but i have no
choice. i owe vinh like $440 bucks lol
im gona add some more as well soon. my hours at work went from a solid 37 hours a week which is damn good for part time all the way down to 15-20. im even off all of JULY 4TH weekend. so strange

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

Alex contact acebeam direct with your carrier issues and they should send you a couple out. I contacted them a few week back and received a carrier. Worth an email :)

ven

Flashaholic

Who here has a legitimate use for 'good' flashlights? Not just an interest in shining bright beams at distant trees for the fun of it, but actually uses them as a tool to help do something in the darkness that otherwise wouldn't be possible or enjoyable without a quality light.

I'm curious to hear about cops, firefighters, mechanics, search and rescue or other professionals and or causal uses for vinh lights and which models you prefer for such purposes ...ya'll have the floor!

Well i can kind of justify anything in my head:nana: :laughing:

Work gets most uses ,however imo vinh lights are too good to get dropped or scraped crawling under a robot etc............soooooo i have vinhs quad drop in,which is safe inside a host in work(engineer).

My other lights at home are more for camping and just fun.........Out for walks with the kids,grab a couple of lights and go country park when dark kind of stuff.
Camping-well speaks for itself really,around site at night to illuminating caravan or tent depending on what kind of camping we do. Smaller lights around house at times get used and also if working on car(new rear diff on the WRX at weekend and not happy about that!!! ) . No vinh lights for scraping and getting covered in diff oil for that!

For me its a combination of Vinh(just pretty much who he is and what he does kind of guy combination) ,then the lights themselves ,the creations / innovations. Its like an awesome package from start to finish which adds to the addiction and supports a great guy. This in itself creates enough interest alone on flashlights....

I could get by on maybe 5 lights for work and home/car/camping uses,who wants to do that :laughing:

Capolini

Banned

For me, I:

Hunt vermin for predator control (on the ranch) and use long range throwers to find distant prey and medium throwers (s200c2vn XML2 DD) mounted on the rifle for blasting them.

Use both headlights and edc lights at work every day to see deep into dark areas in daylight or light up tags, behind dashes, etc.

Enjoy seeing wildlife at night such as elk and deer

Sometimes need to see what is making strange noises or even illuminate undesirables trying to steal or cause trouble

hooking up stereo equipment

Camping (this is a big one for me- I usually have SEVERAL Vinh lights camping for various tasks although i could use a GOOD lantern.

Etc etc

I have mentioned this several times that I USE my lights and don't buy them for that WOW factor,,,even though every night I use them I still am amazed and say WOW,,,,,THESE ARE AWESOME! :thumbsup:

Excluding using my lights as a profession,,Plumber, Electrician ect.

1.I am also one who is in the minority and USES their lights daily,for at least 70 minutes outside[Capo and the Throwers!]

2.inside EDC use.

3. Getting rid of trespassers people using swimming pool at night!:laughing: M2Xvn!

4.Last call for Capo

5.Camping

I will mention this again. I am so adamant about using ALL my lights that I have a rotation set up! At least two lights a night w/ a secondary getting ~ 25/30 minutes and a primary getting 40+ minutes! If I am buying these lights they must get used,NO SHELF QUEENS!

Lumentia I believe we are in the minority..... other than using them for ones profession "ONLY".

Here is my Trail Light List!

Primary:

1. TK75vn KT- used Twice/week
2.TK61vn V4- alternates w/ K40vn for Twice/week
3.SR52vn V2
4.OSTS TN31mb
5.K40vn- alternates w/ TK61vn V4 for twice/week

That equals 7 nights/week!

Secondary:

1.M3X- My only stock light in the rotation,,,,,a great torch!
2.S200C2vn
3.TK35vn
4.M2Xvn XML2 U3 DD/SINGLE MODE
5.M2Xvn XPG2 DD /SINGLE MODE
6.X2vn
7.TX25C2vn DD /SINGLE MODE

Thanks for getting me psyched for this evenings 4.23 mile mini hike! ,,,,,,,,,oh yaaa Three alternating trails! I know TMI!

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic

I :bow: to you Roberto,i am quite envious,beautiful capo,fantastic place to walk and visit(lake placid). I love snow..............and you have an awesome arsenal of vinh lights that get used daily......

Imo its about as good as it gets:)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use mine a ton.
Especially in winter when I night ride a couple of times a week plus when it occasionally rains & we can do trail work after riding- sometimes wayyy late into the night.

I always have a small p60 sized light to supplement my (H600W MK II which is my main light) on hikes and backpacking.

I like my quad module on the bars as a flood to supplement my helmet light on rides.

I didn't use my K40vn much because of the size so I'm sticking to the small-medium lights.

My mini123 with 4000K XPE2 is still going strong after lots of use with 16340s.

2modes is my usual fav setting ~15/100 on my driver VN.

Mostly using raw dog PF & BD cells.

My favorite charger is my Miller ML-202
which hopefully isn't discontinued.

My longest hike with a VN is the southern half of the JMT ~120mi
It was a DD dedomed XPG2 warm in SMO reflector with zero-Rez shorty.
Cheerz!

lumentia

Enlightened

Lumentia, in case you don't venture much outside of Vinhland :), there's a long-running thread on a similar subject, "What did you use your flashlight for today?".
Haha you have me pegged, I really don't explore other places in cpf as much as V54 subforum, but I think I have seen that thread. ..I think of people who frequent this forum as an extended family of a different kind of flashaholics... and like to hear the stories behind the collections. Guess I should elaborate on my collection too ;)

lumentia

Enlightened

I have mentioned this several times that I USE my lights and don't buy them for that WOW factor,,,even though every night I use them I still am amazed and say WOW,,,,,THESE ARE AWESOME! :thumbsup:

Excluding using my lights as a profession,,Plumber, Electrician ect.

1.I am also one who is in the minority and USES their lights daily,for at least 70 minutes outside[Capo and the Throwers!]

2.inside EDC use.

3. Getting rid of trespassers people using swimming pool at night!:laughing: M2Xvn!

4.Last call for Capo

5.Camping

I will mention this again. I am so adamant about using ALL my lights that I have a rotation set up! At least two lights a night w/ a secondary getting ~ 25/30 minutes and a primary getting 40+ minutes! If I am buying these lights they must get used,NO SHELF QUEENS!

Lumentia I believe we are in the minority..... other than using them for ones profession "ONLY".

Here is my Trail Light List!

Primary:

1. TK75vn KT- used Twice/week
2.TK61vn V4- alternates w/ K40vn for Twice/week
3.SR52vn V2
4.OSTS TN31mb
5.K40vn- alternates w/ TK61vn V4 for twice/week

That equals 7 nights/week!

Secondary:

1.M3X- My only stock light in the rotation,,,,,a great torch!
2.S200C2vn
3.TK35vn
4.M2Xvn XML2 U3 DD/SINGLE MODE
5.M2Xvn XPG2 DD /SINGLE MODE
6.X2vn
7.TX25C2vn DD /SINGLE MODE

Thanks for getting me psyched for this evenings 4.23 mile mini hike! ,,,,,,,,,oh yaaa Three alternating trails! I know TMI!
Wow great feedback...

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use them at work for truck inspections. While it is entirely possible to do without, having a good light makes it quicker, easier, and more thorough. Even though most of the trucks are inside, in a decently lit building, there are lots of cubbyholes/supply racks/shadows. All of those problems virtually disappear when I turn on my lights. I don't usually use Vinh's flashlights for that, simply because most of the lights I have purchased from him are geared toward throw, or simply too large to comfortably EDC. But I certainly do benefit from a good light...it makes my job easier and more pleasant.

Night hiking is more questionable, I suppose. I didn't go on night hikes before I got into the hobby, and it started out only as a way to try out new lights. Whenever a new light arrived, I would take it out on a hike, and get a lot of real-world experience with it right away. It eventually morphed into more, though, when I realized all the advantages that hiking at night offered. Trails have many fewer people, you see a lot more wildlife, and particularly in the summer, it is a lot cooler. Now I'd have a hard time giving it up. And Vinh's lights really shine for that...I typically bring one big thrower, and one big flooder, for the best of both worlds.

Once I started carrying a light (OK, more than one) every day, I found all kinds of uses. They come in handy so often that I wonder how I did without for so long.

I'm with Capolini...shelf queens don't work for me. If I don't find myself using a light, it does not stay with me for long.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just payed off Vinh. I dont owe any thing anymore. It hurt a lot to send it but now i csn just focus on saving. After i get my rrjv thrower and my x60vn v2 fixed ill be done buying for quite a while.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought my first "good" lights when I was being deployed; a Surefire 6P with the 60 lumen (one whole hour of runtime haha) P60 and 120 lumen (for a whole 20 minutes), and a Cabela's Alaskan Guide light with xenon bulb and blue leds. Nobody could believe how bright they were haha. Obviously, they were well used during that deployment, and I still have those lights today. When I came back, I found CPF, and a whole new world of possibilities emerged. I was amazed at how fast technology and engineering is changing with flashlights, and I still am today. My enthusiasm for lights is not just the bounderies being pushed (and reached), but even the looks as to me, many are works of art. I did have many shelf queen lights and lights just for collection only, but sadly I sold them as I needed the funds. I still have a hefty selection to choose from depending on the situation, but when camping time comes I have a case that holds quite a nice variety of lights and accessories to go with them. When I camp many of my lights that I take are used (and some just played with haha) for spotting wildlife, fishing after dark, night light (I have little kids), night walks/hikes, area lighting, putting light on an area where I heard something, or just having a good headlamp on my head for use as needed. In fact, I'm using a headlamp now to type this while watching equipment tonight. I am a security guard, and do a variety of things, day, night, and swing shifts. What light/lights I take or carry for my shift depend on what I will be doing. It's REALLY nice to have options and to have the right light when I need it. It not only makes my job easier, but also makes me feel safer as I can not only light up large areas, throw light out far enough to see what or who is out there, but also stop someone in their tracks should they decide to attack me; as it's hard to do with 1000+ lumens in your eyes. Definitely gives me the advantage. In the same way I use them at home (see what's outside, protection, getting around the house when not wanting to turn lights on or power is out). Even during the day when I'm out and about, it's amazing how often a light comes in handy.

Also, just to be clear here, I do LOVE having lights for the "fun" factor, whether it be showing someone else or just making myself giggle at the performance of a light hehe.

Capolini

Banned

I just payed off Vinh. I dont owe any thing anymore. It hurt a lot to send it but now i csn just focus on saving. After i get my rrjv thrower and my x60vn v2 fixed ill be done buying for quite a while.

Good for you in paying off your debt.;)

I don't think it is going to be quite awhile for your next purchase,,,,,,,,,,,,will probably be in a week or Two! :poke:

Capolini

Banned

Lol im really gona try and restrain myself.

Believe me I understand! a lot of on here have that type "A" addictive personality,,,,,,,,,,,I want it yesterday mentality,now is not good enough! I absolutely fall in that category!

I really have to restrain myself,,,,,,,,,although I have Two Incomes,,,I still need supplemental income[part time work] to get ahead,savings only last so long!

Status
Not open for further replies.