The Malta Police Force Will be using LED Flashlights soon !!

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My concern would be overall durability. Remember, it's not inexpensive if you have to buy more because they break.

My other concern is that cluster LED lights aren't very useful at anything but close range. Definitely would't be able to light somebody up across the street. If that's not what they need it for, fine, but I hope they're not expecting that kind of performance.

I think the Nuwai ALX-2512AA would have been a better choice.

city cop

Newly Enlightened
Any light that says " Police" on it would scare me !! Chinese light for sure, same logo and all.:thumbsdow

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have spent some time in Malta... It is the most beautiful place i have ever been- a very lucky man you are to live there.

-David

WNG

Enlightened
Amonra said:
Maverick / WNG : Even though a minimag may not mean much to you it seems to me that it is pretty famous and well regarded around the world including these forums, if maglights were so crappy why would the US police use them and why do a large number of modders most of which being well respected use them ? why would they even have a lifetime guarantee ?

In response to your comments, my view of the miniMag is based on comparison of current offerings in the US domestic market. I have 3 miniMags, one of which is approx. 20 years old, a black model. Compared to newer versions, the old one was made to a higher level of quality. The thread tolerances tighter, finish more durable, and overall, 'feels' heftier. The two newer versions have loosely fitting heads which interfere with getting a consistant focus on the stock beam. The end cap can be troublesome to install, and I've had one switch fall apart.

We can find the miniMag for ~$7.00 here in most stores. Given the cost to bring a stock one up to acceptable standards, ie. modding with LEDs. The cost becomes unjustifiable imho. For example...a new miniMag is $7.00, add a NiteEyez mod: $10.00....or sandwich drop-in ~$15-30. Total cost $17-$37.
You are now into a price range which can yield some LED products which outperforms the miniMag mod considerably.
You get a light engineered from the beginning as a LED based light.

You say, why would US police departments use them? Well, that's because some of them don't know what's really out there, and that there are better alternatives. Your proof is only valid to someone who puts a lot of value in our domestic police departments. I'm not one of them. They may have budget constraints.

I think the biggest reason for my argument is the fact that your experience with the Malta police showed their evaluation did not result in selecting a miniMag.

Why so many modders use them?
Well, if they were so great, no one would need to mod a stock miniMag.
I see this as a contradiction of your argument.
Another reason, it's the standard of incandescent AA lights. Parts easily available. It's a cheap basis for modding. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice product. But not worth it to mod it with a sandwich drop-in only to spend as much for an Elecrolumens XM-3 for $34.95.

As for a lifetime warranty.....
warranties can be a tasking ordeal to get fulfilled. Ie. you must register products within a given timeframe, must store original receipts for a lifetime, follow their RMA procedures, and packing and shipping rules. And only if certain defects qualify for warranty service. Plus, the warranty may not be transferable, only for the original purchaser.
If it was an unconditional warranty, to any holder of a Mag Instruments product. Then I'd be impressed.

Value is relative. At some point in time, they were nice enough for me to purchase several. Not anymore.

HiltiHome

Enlightened
Congratulations for doing the deal with Malta Police.
These "Police"-Lights are very cheap, hope You made a lot of money.

If I had to recommend a flashlight, it would be the Pelican M6....

greenLED

Flashaholic
HiltiHome said:
If I had to recommend a flashlight, it would be the Pelican M6....
Sure, but the Police wanted 2xAA-based lights; that restricts the options a lot. Keep in mind that outside the US Mags are not as cheap as in your local WallyMart - expect to pay up to $30 for a minimag. Also, CR123's may cost up to $7-9... definitely not peanuts when you're on a budget.

Last edited:

HiltiHome

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Sure, but the Police wanted 2xAA-based lights; that restricts the options a lot.

A few years ago, I was asked to supply a radiostation with speakers.
They specified exactly what they want and finally bought something totally different...

Amonra

Enlightened
Thanks Longjohn.

Planterz: i understand your and other peolpe's point about having a brighter and better throwing light, in fact i myself was surprised they chose this one as i did offer other lights which used a 3W led and deep reflector but for the reasons i have mentioned before ( not fulfilling their requirements ) they did not choose them. They have been testing the light for the past 3 months so i pretty sure they know what to expect and that it suits their needs. As for the Nuwai, too expensive ( one has to consider shipping ) and very short runtime.

City cop: Why all this negative response toward Chinese lights ? are you guys so narrow minded to think that anything that is made in China is crap ? the Fenix and Nuwai lights are made in China too i don't see many thumbs down about those, why should this be any different. and what about it having Police written on it i have seen many rebranded Nuwai lights with ridiculous names, does the name take anything away from the quality ?

WNG: No flashlight is perfect all have their defects even some of the most expensive lights like surefire but it does not mean that they are of bad quality.
it's not because they do not know what's out there it's because they know how much it costs. they coose the maglight because it is of suitable quality for their needs, serves them well and the price is right. sure there are better lights but can you justify your government buying a $100 or more flashlight for the entire police force just to have a better quality light when the one they currently have serves them just fine for a tenth of the price ? not to mention the increase in running costs.
I was happy with the police choosing this one instead of the minimag because at least in Malta ( and in many other countries ) a maglight is considered a very good quality flashlight ( although you might think differently ) and the one i offered is of a better quality and met all their needs which resulted in them choosing it.
It is not a contradiction of my argument at all. ppl mod their lights to better them it's true but it does not mean that they were bad to begin with. Modders would not invest in a mod if they knew that the host is crap and will fail because that would be a bad return on their investment. therefore the sheer number of mag mods on this forum only goes to show that the maglight is a good quality flashlight.
Also some people here mod even the highest quality flashlights are those crap too ? no, but it is natural human behaviour to always want something better.
As for the warranty that is standard procedure for almost any item.
I never said that maglights are the best and im happy for you that you have the resources to buy better flashlights but for a good chunk of the population they are as good as it gets.

Hiltihome: Thanks a lot.

Greenled: thanks for answering that.

When i started this thread i just wanted to share my achievement as i have been trying to increase awareness of LED products in my small country for a long time and still to this day most people do not know what an LED is but i'm slowly succeeding. I was the first to sell LED based flashlights in Malta 3 years ago and it was very hard to educate every person who came along with the benefits of LED and hoped that they would pass on the info. The fact that the Malta Police are going LED means a lot for me because it shows that all the work i did to raise awareness was not for nothing ( i am making some money too which is an added bonus ) This will also be an important stepping stone as it will greatly increase awareness and exposure of the LED.

Jamrock

Newly Enlightened
Wow,I have one of those,it's one of the first lights i bought before i found CPF..Now i can be a lil' proud of it and say "what? Crappy chinese made cheapos? what are you talking about? these Bad Boys are also used by the Maltese Finest"
gun.gif
:naughty:

anyways,Congrats on the Deal!!
good.gif

Amonra

Enlightened
The Malta Police flashlights have arrived and they look great :rock: , the light is nice and white and the output is better than the original sample as they have been modified a bit.

Here are a few pics ( taken with mobile phone, sorry for the bad quality )

26-06-06_1319.jpg

26-06-06_1312.jpg

Some comparison shots with L1P ( L1P on the right )

26-06-06_1251.jpg

26-06-06_1253.jpg

Amonra

Enlightened
BTW the flashlight is not turned on in the first photo. that blue hue at the lens is a reflection of the mobile phone flash.

batman

Enlightened
JMHO - anything produced within chinese borders should remain there so as not to contaminate the rest of the world. The Tibetan issue is another major sticking point with the Chinese.
-er, I take that back. 4tth of July is coming and I do need some fireworks. They did create fireworks in the 14th century.

Last edited:

Planterz

Flashlight Enthusiast
batman said:
JMHO - anything produced within chinese borders should remain there so as not to contaminate the rest of the world. The Tibetan issue is another major sticking point with the Chinese.
Right, and don't club seals, don't buy fur, don't eat red meat, don't shop at Wal*Mart, don't pick your nose, and don't walk on the ground because you're killing millions of innocent bacterium. :rolleyes:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice going, Amonra. I'd imagine the 11 LEDs would produce a good flood for close up writing, inspections, and close quarter room scanning. The multiple, underdriven LEDs should also be efficient, giving good runtime along with a fair amount of light.

I'll bet many people from the rest of our planet (outside the USA) grumble about having to buy from the USA because in so many cases we're the only show in town.

Although I prefer to buy "American" and support our manufacturers, the Eastern Rim countries offer a good value for many of their products.

We're living in a glass house when it comes to throwing stones at other country's politics. The USA's history includes the genocide of the American Indian, slavery, Viet Nam, Iraq & Guantanamo. We have one out of 139 of our citizens in prison - the highest in the world.

batman

Enlightened
jayflash said:
Nice going, Amonra. I'd imagine the 11 LEDs would produce a good flood for close up writing, inspections, and close quarter room scanning. The multiple, underdriven LEDs should also be efficient, giving good runtime along with a fair amount of light.

I'll bet many people from the rest of our planet (outside the USA) grumble about having to buy from the USA because in so many cases we're the only show in town.

Although I prefer to buy "American" and support our manufacturers, the Eastern Rim countries offer a good value for many of their products.

We're living in a glass house when it comes to throwing stones at other country's politics. The USA's history includes the genocide of the American Indian, slavery, Viet Nam, Iraq & Guantanamo. We have one out of 139 of our citizens in prison - the highest in the world.

Jayflash - I see that makes two people in this thread with a college education.

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
batman said:
-er, I take that back. 4tth of July is coming and I do need some fireworks. They did create fireworks in the 14th century.

Maybe you should stick to making comments about the thread topic and not your worldly knowledge about international issues.

Amonra: Glad to see those lights coming in. They should do a great job. Much better light than the Mini Mag's that the LEO's get issued in England.