The Official Malkoff Junkie thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdawg

Enlightened
I just recieved my MD4 body and wildcat head ...............The specs for the body say the hounddog head fits on it but isnt compatible voltage wise .........is that just for two 18650,s ? or can I run 4 CR123,s with the hounddog head ??

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can use the XM-L Hound Dog head with four primary CR123s. The specifications should read 5.5 to 12 volts input voltage.

Do your NCR18650s work in series?

As a test, I laid two NCR18650s end to end and measured their output voltage with my DMM.......and got 8.25 volts. They definitely work as a pair. I then put them into an MD4 and screwed a V4 Wildcat onto the body. The light didn't work. I then screwed three other convenient high voltage heads and five MD2 heads onto the body. None of them worked.

"Why not?,", you ask. Likely because the shorter length of the batteries compared to protected cells isn't great enough to make contact with both the head and tail springs. If I were to stretch one or both of the springs, my guess is that it would then work.

Last edited:

djdawg

Enlightened
Yes ....my two 18650B,s work just fine ........I even have a couple AW brand that work also ......I didnt think they would , but do

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The product page of the Neutral Hound Dog at malkoffdevices.com states, "The runtime on four CR123 primary cells is approximately 1 hour.".

My gut tells me to believe what Gene says.

djdawg

Enlightened
I,ll just leave the lights the way they are then ...........I was trying to concock some long azz run time with good brightness .........LOL
Iam no flashlight Guru by no means ......... but so glad I finally tried a Malkoff light.............I now have 6 of them ..........LOL

djdawg

Enlightened
So apparently the hound dog will run on two 18650s ....................according to the specs for the hound dog head only.
The runtime on two protected 3400 ma Li-ion 18650 cells is approximately 1.5 to 2 hours at full output.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
One 1500 mAh battery has a capacity of 1500 mAh. Four 1500 mAh batteries in series have a combined capacity of......1500 mAh. The Hound Dog head pulls a bit less amperage from four cells compared to two or three, but not enough of a reduction to provide for long run times.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the hounddog head would run longer on 4 CR123,s
From Flashlightguide.com...
Malkoff-Hound-Dog-V3.jpg

3 x CR123a give about 25 mins
4 x CR123a give about 45 mins
at full output. Perhaps it depends on the quality of the cells.
P

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ good post sir.

The graph showing the 18650 looks great, until minute 108 arrives and you still need some light.
Looks like the 4x battery stations disappoint after 3/4 of an hour, but may save your life in a bad situation.

I'm not against rechargeables by any means. But the graph tells the truth when the light is used beyond entertainment/recreation use.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's my worry with rechargeables (although that's all I use). Always carry a backup and a spare battery. Another reason why all my lights take 18650s.
P

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you should buy #7.

NO, you should not put it into a Rayovac.

Actually, you should buy #10 instead. It'd be perfect for an MD2 or custom Moddoolar host with P60 adapter.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish Gene would offer an XM-L2 drop in optimised for Maglite 2C/D at ~300lm. That should provide 2-3hr regulated output using alkalines with 2C and twice of that with 2D. Especially a neutral option 4000K would be awesome. :popcorn:
Anyone more than me who like the idéa?

Status
Not open for further replies.