"The sickness" - is there any hope or should I just give up?

fyrstormer

Banned
The acute phase of The Sickness tapers off substantially once you find one or two lights that you really enjoy EDCing. After that it's only an occasional recurring fever, kind of like malaria.

See? Not so bad. :devil:

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your sickness is not too bad. $322.89!!!!!! Just wait until the customed or TI lights flu gets to you....

LGT

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

My best advice is to just keep researching, but make sure that each purchase has a distinct use.

Enjoy!
Must agree. There's no need to have two or three or five different lights that put out nearly the same lumens with basically the same throw and tint.

fyrstormer

Banned
Your sickness is not too bad. $322.89!!!!!! Just wait until the customed or TI lights flu gets to you....
Yeah...

CIMG5125.jpg

I think these cost around $650 apiece. :whistle:

zenbeam

Enlightened
Yeah...

CIMG5125.jpg

I think these cost around $650 apiece. :whistle:

I can say with complete confidence that my own flashlight sickness will never reach such a level because I fear the extreme bodily injury or death that my wifey would swiftly bring upon me if I EVER spent such an amount of money on flashlights. Not that I wouldn't under other circumstances - but I'm still married.... lol.

EDIT: Did I mention those are incredibly lovely lights!?

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
aside from buying several hundred dollars worth of flashlights since the beg of march, what really has killed me is the need for good 3100mah cells (ive bought about 10.... i think?)

and now i see myself dropping at least $100 on a good case with foam rubber inserts etc

you cant take your $ with you when they put you 6 feet under but at least it wont be dark in my casket! LOL

PaleBlueDot

Newly Enlightened
Hi,:wave:

I am in a similar boat :) I was just looking for something bright enough to walk around my uni campus at night with. Two years later I have several 4Sevens, Novatacs, Sunwayman(men)? lying around :eek: It doesn't help that I am looking at more expensive lights such as Mac's customs and HDS when they get their production problems sorted.

Not looking good for my bank account:(

saypat

Enlightened
you only have bought (3) lights. You can nip it in the bud here. NO MORE. I said that at 3 lights also. I'm very logical also, and lots of will power. I think I'm up to 20 or so. I said I would never go the li-ion route, that is most of what I have now. I have said NO MORE on several occasions. My friends have said 'but you said no more.' The part that really bothers me is that I am so logical - this just doesn't make any sense. Keep setting $ boundaries that you won't exceed! Then set a new one, and another. I haven't even gotten to the pricey ones ... yet. 1st was a Xeno EO3 for $30. My most expensive is only $45, the Nitecore EX11. You will even buy stupid lights that you won't use or don't need, only cuz they are on sale. I'm getting nauseous re-living it all. BYE!

fyrstormer

Banned
aside from buying several hundred dollars worth of flashlights since the beg of march, what really has killed me is the need for good 3100mah cells (ive bought about 10.... i think?)

and now i see myself dropping at least $100 on a good case with foam rubber inserts etc

you cant take your $ with you when they put you 6 feet under but at least it wont be dark in my casket! LOL
You really only need one spare battery per flashlight you carry at the same time. You almost certainly don't need a hardshell case to keep them in, unless your plans don't involve actually using the lights.

fyrstormer

Banned
you only have bought (3) lights. You can nip it in the bud here. NO MORE. I said that at 3 lights also. I'm very logical also, and lots of will power. I think I'm up to 20 or so. I said I would never go the li-ion route, that is most of what I have now. I have said NO MORE on several occasions. My friends have said 'but you said no more.' The part that really bothers me is that I am so logical - this just doesn't make any sense. Keep setting $ boundaries that you won't exceed! Then set a new one, and another. I haven't even gotten to the pricey ones ... yet. 1st was a Xeno EO3 for $30. My most expensive is only $45, the Nitecore EX11. You will even buy stupid lights that you won't use or don't need, only cuz they are on sale. I'm getting nauseous re-living it all. BYE!
It actually makes a great deal of sense. You're buying cheap lights as a placebo for the really expensive lights you actually want. Buy the really expensive lights first, skip the cheap lights altogether, and save money in the long run. (or as the saying goes, "Buy Once, Cry Once.") Yes, people's jaws will drop when you tell them you bought a $500 flashlight, but if it's the only one you have, their jaws will only drop once.

The basic problem is that really good tools cost a lot more than the cheap tools that are heavily-advertised, but because of that advertising we think a good tool should cost far less than they do.

fyrstormer

Banned
I can say with complete confidence that my own flashlight sickness will never reach such a level because I fear the extreme bodily injury or death that my wifey would swiftly bring upon me if I EVER spent such an amount of money on flashlights. Not that I wouldn't under other circumstances - but I'm still married.... lol.

EDIT: Did I mention those are incredibly lovely lights!?
The solution that comes to my mind is: don't put all your money in a joint checking account. Put a certain percentage in an account for you, the same percentage in an account for her, and the rest in a joint account. However you spend the money in your personal account is none of her business, and vice-versa.

Thanks for the compliment. I have a whole thread about them, called My Ultimate P60 Host, or something like that. They are the P60 hosts I dreamed of when I first started investigating whether I could even buy a P60 host made from titanium. As beefy as these things are, I'm pretty sure I'll never need to replace them.

Daekar

Enlightened
Ah, you started out similarly to me, so innocently...
a few observations: If you don't have a P60/D26 host you might as well not have any lights. I didn't see any Fivemega custom bodies in there. You're missing a 3000+ lumen HID. Shocking lack of titanium. No AW batteries. No custom lights. Let's face it, you're just getting started. :)

No, in all seriousness, there is a lot to be said for buying the expensive stuff first and saving money in the long run. I wish I had...

Sensination

Newly Enlightened
Why are you showing me this awesome lights???? I'm already doing 5h overtime a week to expand my collection!!

I guess one of you was right, it died down a bit now since I got my EDC (FenixLD22).

But all those titanium babies....I don'y know I guess I'll chillout for a month or two and think about one maybe :)

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess one of you was right, it died down a bit now since I got my EDC (FenixLD22).
Nice choice! : )
If I were you by now I'd be dying to get a LD12: for some reason I have an urge to own both the 1xAA and 2xAA version of the same light. Then I ended up buying the 2x CR123 models too. Fortunately I'm still uninterested by the 1xCR123 models... which saved me at least 3 flashlights: there's some limit to this sickness! :party:

Sensination

Newly Enlightened
I feel EXACTLY the same!! I already know I will have to get PC10 and LD12... It just doesn't feel right if I have one for two batteries but not for one!

However I prefer CR123 flashlights rather than AA. I tried to understand why but I guess I like thicker and shorter ones.

Nice choice! : )
If I were you by now I'd be dying to get a LD12: for some reason I have an urge to own both the 1xAA and 2xAA version of the same light. Then I ended up buying the 2x CR123 models too. Fortunately I'm still uninterested by the 1xCR123 models... which saved me at least 3 flashlights: there's some limit to this sickness! :party: