"The sickness" - is there any hope or should I just give up?

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind that batteries, multimeter and battery charger can be used for other electronics besides flashlights. A multimeter is a good diagnostic tool for everything from checking fuses at home to cars and other electronics.

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
I can say with complete confidence that my own flashlight sickness will never reach such a level because I fear the extreme bodily injury or death that my wifey would swiftly bring upon me if I EVER spent such an amount of money on flashlights. Not that I wouldn't under other circumstances - but I'm still married.... lol.

EDIT: Did I mention those are incredibly lovely lights!?

Sweety, the car need a new water pump... Its leaking.

Oh that flashlight? Yea, 60 dollars.

In reality though, you need to buy her something of equal value then all is ok. :)

cummins4x4

Enlightened
I am already into firearms, trucks, power tools and knives, whats one more addiction... er hobby. That being said I have about a dozen lights now and haven't bought anything for a few months. I am finding the production stuff pretty ho-hum and know when funds permit I will seriously be looking at the customs, especially the Ti stuff as I already have a bunch of Ti knives.

BullsEyeLantern

Newly Enlightened
I had no idea this place existed in October of 2011. Now less than a year later and 15 flashlights, I see no end for me either. Keep that part time pole dancing job to pay for the lights, and enjoy them.

anthony lumens

Newly Enlightened
Sensination said:
I have no idea how it happened.... One day I needed a flashlight and my AAA Maglite wasn't enough so I decided to buiy something more powerful....

5 days later after more than 20 hours of research my total bill came up to $322.89!!!!!!

I bought THREE flashlights, s**t loads of batteries and other stuff. I guess now I'm ready for the nuclear winter...but WHY did I do that????
How did it happen?? I liked playing with flashlights when I was a kid, but this?? And why now???:eek:

Here is what I got:

Flashlights

Jetbeam PA10
Jetbeam PC20
Fenix LD32

Accesories
AW 14500 x1
AW RCR123 x2
AW 17670 x1
Trustfire 14500 x2
Jetbeam grease
Intelicharger i4
Duracell 4x AAA MiNh
Ultrafire CR123 x4
Solarforce RCR123 x2
Maglite LED conversion
Duracell 4x CR123
Multimeter

I'm very fresh to flashlight community but I got REALLY hooked up!!! Is there any point to fight it?? Is there any professional help I could get???
Should I just give up???

The worst thing is I'm already thinking about buying some more!!!!!

HELP!!!!:sick2::sick2:

P.S. I would like to welcome other victims and say thank you for loads of information and all the help I got from this website's community. Great job everybody!!!lovecpf

I started with one light(tk70) now 4 months later I have 6

Tk70
Tm11
Sr90
Olmsx
Sure fire 100L
Maestroms18

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last night I saw a JetBeam PC25 on sale at a good price and I started itching... then I found the strength! If I get the PC25 by now I already know I will end up getting an XT10/XT11 and a TK15/TK21 too. It's a category of lights I've always been attracted to: bigger head but still small enough to be EDCed.

Even though they are great lights their performance is not that superior to the XT2C/PC20/PD31/PD30 to justify another round of buys so soon. I doubt I'd be actively using those lights of that size as things are in my life at the moment... maybe when the next generation comes out!

You can say NO to the sickness! But for how long? Nobody really knows.... :devil:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which one the LD12 or the PC25? :)

I bit the bullet for a LD01 last week: I needed at least 1xAAA in my collection... aside from that I've been very good with flashlights. I got tempted by PD30 R2 on sale at 35 euros but told myself they are ringy and that I don't really need it. Hopefully they'll sell out before I change my mind!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once the first stage is over (owning more than 10 lights) then some discrimination will kick in ("I already have a 2XAA, but I don't have a 3X18650"). After some direct experience with your lights, you'll figure out what works and what doesn't, so you'll spend about the same as the first year, but a little better. Then there's neutral/warm/high CRI. The it's the interfaces and lowest settings. At about year 3 or 4 you'll know exactly what suits you the best and start discriminating with a better judgment. That's pretty much where I'm at and after spending about 750$ per year (with 500$ of it at just about this time of the year) I can say I only have 4 purchases in mind compared to a dozen in the previous years. The sad part is one of them actually costs 350$, so I'll only save on shipping... if that. The good new is, after 4 years 30 lights and over 3000$, I finally have my dream EDC... and another dream EDC coming later. It's a loooong quest, man!

Sensination

Newly Enlightened
I got Klarus XT2C :)

Which one the LD12 or the PC25? :)

I bit the bullet for a LD01 last week: I needed at least 1xAAA in my collection... aside from that I've been very good with flashlights. I got tempted by PD30 R2 on sale at 35 euros but told myself they are ringy and that I don't really need it. Hopefully they'll sell out before I change my mind!

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think all you have to do is ...Follow your instinct to be a flashaholic.
I guess you are right! When I find another light that I really like and somehow need, I'm sure I won't hesitate.

Right now I feel I have all I need. It's good and it's bad: I miss going back home and searching the forum for old posts on the lights I wanted to buy; the excitement of finding a new thread on these lights; staring at their lights' picture online thinking that soon they would be in the mail etc. The await for a flashlight, is part of the excitement and after you own those lights that part of the excitement dies away…

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...
Right now I feel I have all I need. […]

With 3 lights, you have all you need. Now, that has absolutely nothing to do with what you WANT... 'cause you know you want more...

Hmmm... I'll put that one in my sigline...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If you join a forum that discusses flashlights, especially one that all but has a hazing process that makes it hard for a newb to participate....so you have to EARN your way to be here...and you WANT to be here....well, I think its a forgone conclusion that you are already a flashaholic without needing to buy a light.

Its like a crack baby...born into the world craving crack, without ever having smoked a thing, and without knowing what that gnawing desire was, but knowing it was STRONG.

One day, the baby is given a "taste", and, from that moment on...He KNOWS what he was craving.

You were born into this world a flashaholic....you had an inner craving that you had no idea how to satisfy, gnawing at your soul, without you knowing what it was.

And, then, you "got a taste"....and you KNEW that was what you had been craving.

The primary difference is that flashaholcs almost never mug people for flashlight money. Most even maintain some semblance of a normal life, hold jobs, raise their own children, etc. I think its more like being a high functioning Asperger than being a drug addict.

:welcome:

CoherentRays

Newly Enlightened
Well, the OP and just about all subsequent posters in this thread have confirmed that this buying behavior IS a sickness. But we can take heart that it is not hopeless. It can be cured, or at least controlled. If you locate a good therapist in your area and spend several hundred or perhaps several thousand dollars for the therapy sessions you can learn what is lacking in your psyche and why you are driven to this behavior. And once you discover what is driving this acquisition syndrome, you can stop it.

So, it's up to each of us. Spend a few thousand dollars on therapy or be doomed to spend the same amount of money on flashlights/lasers/pocketknives/guns/etc. In each case we may be out the same amount of money. The only difference is with option two, we'll have a lot of nice flashlights/lasers/pocketknives/guns/etc. to play with.

Decisions, decisions :confused: :thinking: :whistle:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read and research a bunch, skip ahead and save your money otherwise spent on the next 20 lights, get obsessed with tint, ridiculous lows, highs, throw, flood and runtimes, new battery chemistries. Set goals for custom lights and start the waiting game... In the mean time start researching how to do your own mods. Good luck.

cummins4x4

Enlightened
So, it's up to each of us. Spend a few thousand dollars on therapy or be doomed to spend the same amount of money on flashlights/lasers/pocketknives/guns/etc. In each case we may be out the same amount of money. The only difference is with option two, we'll have a lot of nice flashlights/lasers/pocketknives/guns/etc. to play with.

Sums it up pretty well IMHO

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
One surefire(sorry!!) way to cure this sickness:being broke.

$1000 (in my bank account) is a dream that I hope to one day reach again.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the OP and just about all subsequent posters in this thread have confirmed that this buying behavior IS a sickness. But we can take heart that it is not hopeless. It can be cured, or at least controlled. If you locate a good therapist in your area and spend several hundred or perhaps several thousand dollars for the therapy sessions you can learn what is lacking in your psyche and why you are driven to this behavior. And once you discover what is driving this acquisition syndrome, you can stop it.

- Crack or therapy? you have to pick one, son!
- I'll think about it after this hit...