"The sickness" - is there any hope or should I just give up?

motigg

Newly Enlightened
One way to control the urge, at least in a limited fashion, is to quit thinking altogether about budget lights, or even merely good lights, because you'll probably not be satisfied until you have a very high quality light (at least if you are like me). As others have suggested, buy once and cry once. Or buy thrice and cry thrice, as I did. But don't buy 25 times and cry 25 times. That's just too much crying. I bought a good number of lights until I got my HDS High CRI, and that slowed me down because 1. I was really happy with the light and 2. I knew I wouldn't get a better EDC light. Now I have the HDS, a stainless steel Peak Night Patrol 600A, and a Zebralight H51w. One EDC, one very powerful light, and a solid headlamp that runs on AA. That's just 3 lights, each fitting an independent niche. I don't dream much of other lights because I know it doesn't get much better than what I have unless I were to start dipping into the world of mods/customs, and even then it's not obvious I'd end up with a better light (for my needs). None of my lights was cheap, but I know I'd spend just as much money, and certainly more time, flipping through a bunch of lesser quality lights in search of the kind of quality I want.

In short, I recommend what some others have recommended. Figure out what kind of light or lights you think you want (thrower, wall of light, EDC, etc.) Research them. Then buy the highest quality lights (i.e., Surefire, HDS, Malkoff, Peak, some interesting quality mod/custom, etc). You'll be happy with the lights and you won't be as eager to get more because you'll know that pretty much everything else is a step down.

Last edited:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite broke at the moment..but I've got a HDS Clicky 200 calling my name.Can't buy it right now,quite frustrating.

Probably going to wait 4 months or so.