The SureFire P2X-B "Fury" 500lu flashlight thread

precisionworks

Flashaholic
^^ Careful at the tail........not as thick.^^
+1

The tail O-ring area on all full size SF lights is the thinnest part of the body. AFAIK the same O-ring dimension has been used since Laser Products started - 0.775" OD at the groove (19.68 mm).

I final ream all full size lights to 0.744" & so far everything fits inside that dimension (18.90 mm). I have an older Fivemega tube for a 9P that measures 0.750" (19.05 mm). Pretty similar dimensions.

As long as the tube is centered in the lathe as perfectly as possible the OD & the ID remain concentric, stresses are evenly distributed & the body remains durable.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I don't know it already been covered here yet but are there any body extensions that can be used on the p2x and is there an increase in performance?

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember reading in this thread somewhere, that someone was running two RCR123s in their Fury with no problems...that would put it over 8V on a fresh charge.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
I have now bored out my SUREFIRE FURY myself - here are some tips

Used a 18v drill, took 2 batteries
Take the o rings off
I used a socket wrench extension wrapped in duct tape to get it to the right size
Cut a piece of 60 grit sandpaper taped (about 1/2 inch bigger on each end than the tube) and wrapped around in the right direction the drill rotates
Used a heavy leather work glove to hold the body
It gets kinda hot if run fast so I would rinse with water every 10-15 minutes and try to put a battery in it
Had to change the sandpaper 3-4 times and add more duct tape
You might use a bad battery when testing it because the wrapper may get damaged
Bore it enough so the battery can fall out on its own, the battery should not be a tight fit
Dont bore it too big, the tube is thinner near the end and where the o rings are
After it is bored enough I smoothed it out with fine steel wool
It is important to get the tube smooth so the batteries wont get damaged being taken in and out
Took about an hour and a half

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know it already been covered here yet but are there any body extensions that can be used on the p2x and is there an increase in performance?

The thought actually came to my mind if the only difference between P2X and P3X is the battery tube.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... are there any body extensions that can be used on the p2x and is there an increase in performance?
Surefire A19 gives a 1-cell extension.

The thought actually came to my mind if the only difference between P2X and P3X is the battery tube.
There's a bit more to it than that - the driver board runs different parameters on the 3-cell. Higher voltage, lower current, greater lumen output.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried three cells in a P2X Fury? If so, is it brighter? :shrug:

I don't dare try it with mine...I'm too poor to replace it if it fries it. :broke:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Is there any new information about when the update to the 600 lumen version of the Fury will be? ...
The early Fury's tested 500+ lumens in my IS & the last ones all test 600L +. Not a clue as to when this happened nor any way to ID which particular light is 500L & which is 600L.

First 15 minutes with cell fresh off charger:

Image-9853934-199386228-2-Web_0_131961c3f53cbb5933530235930a44a7_1

A CPF member is letting me borrow his data logger & I'll run the graph from start until the output reaches 50L. Battery tail cap draw is higher, light output is higher, head runs hotter (120°F in free air at 68° ambient temp) and runtime should be less.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery tail cap draw is higher, light output is higher, head runs hotter (120°F in free air at 68° ambient temp) and runtime should be less.
If this is the case, I would rather stick with my 500 lumen Fury. No point to sacrifice runtime and endure with a hotter light just for that measly 100 lumens more which we all know is not visually perceptible. Thanks for the heads up. Been thinking of getting a second Fury but I guess I will pass.

RIX TUX

Enlightened
Re: Surefire Fury

The FURY is a bit smooth and want to hear about or see pics of what others use or put on the body to make it more grippy.

Drjones

Enlightened

The FURY is a bit smooth and want to hear about or see pics of what others use or put on the body to make it more grippy.

The big rubber ring & body cut-outs of the Combatlight version. :D

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

Both Fury's are set up with o-rings ...

However I presently use only one large o-ring, e.g. the o-ring that's toward the front of the light.

precisionworks

Flashaholic

I've tried some different methods to improve the grip ... O-rings, grip tape, etc. So far my favorite is fabric heat shrink tubing:

Image-9853934-201654300-2-WebSmall_0_1903b6c156b571885abffdbffce5dbf5_1

FWIW if you purchase the fabric tubing be sure to use a heat gun & not any type of open flame. It took half a dozen failed attempts to convince me that a propane torch (even on the lowest setting) was not working. I wasted enough tubing to pay for half a heat gun & the heat gun is the only reliable way to work with fabric.

Image-9853934-201723930-2-Web_0_7e20f321ec6d7a8e2cd1f013d215854a_1

Last edited:

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do this exact thing, and it made a world of difference in my grip on the light. I highly recommend it.

IMO o-rings are man's greatest invention for flashlights! ... :thumbsup:

:tinfoil:

mikedsokc

Newly Enlightened
Re: Glass not all its cracked up to be in the Fury...

Does the P2X Fury Tactical have a spring on the circuit board? I have a G2X Tactical and it has a spring on the circuit board. I'm debating on the Duel or the Tactical. It may not make a difference, but I prefer to have dual springs.