The Ultimate EagleTac M2*** TRIPLE REVIEW!

EagleTac

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I agree the previous clip design aren't too strong. We have stronger clip available. I can send some away if you need one.

Nicole:)

learnyee

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, I was wondering is there a good online site that sell this light and low S&H charges, I am living in Malaysia and I cant seems to be able to find this light at ebay. Anyone can help?

EagleTac

Newly Enlightened
Try our dealer section page. You will find a local dealer there.

Nicole :tinfoil:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

I agree the previous clip design aren't too strong. We have stronger clip available. I can send some away if you need one.

Nicole:)
I would definitely like to follow up on this stronger clip. I forgot to remove my lanyard as I intended and discovered the exact same problem this weekend whilst camping with my M2X.

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
Hi. I just got mine. Nice and bright but has some serious design flaws. I mean what kind of engineer designed battery tube and it's sealing ? IP-X8 for this flashlight ? You gotta be kidding... Any external water pressure will push the seal into the battery tube and flood the flashlight. So, yes, for 2 cm deep puddle it may work but not deeper.

And the whole battery tube is held in one piece by four tiny screws which cannot even be tightened properly, because this will squeeze the seal into the battery compartment.
This is a serious engineering mistake.

I got mine with a lot of dust on the inside of the lens. Do you know how to dismantle the head? Do I have to take the whole head apart ?

Ergonomics also is not thought out. Battery tube/handle is too short and rear click tailcap has "wings" that make holding the flashlight quite uncomfortable.

Overall:
Head - very good and solid, except dust inside (again, where it came from and is it really watertight or waterproof at all)
Battery tube - poor design quality, without really deep thought.
Gives a lot of light with nice warm color (mine is Neutral White). But it will be hard for me to trust it. My Maglite 2D modified with SSC P4 gives me more confidence...

For the price I expected better overall engineering. External finish is very good. I suspect that design was made by marketing people. :(

Can we get sometime a new battery tube for three 18650 ? Or at least better built for two 18650 ?

Last edited:

elliowb

Newly Enlightened
And the whole battery tube is held in one piece by four tiny screws which cannot even be tightened properly, because this will squeeze the seal into the battery compartment.
This is a serious engineering mistake.
Although I generally like the light, I have to agree with you on this issue. The seal has already been snagged by the battery holder and I had to loosen the four screws and reinstall the seal.

Ergonomics also is not thought out. Battery tube/handle is too short and rear click tailcap has "wings" that make holding the flashlight quite uncomfortable.
I'm thinking of putting some black electrical tape on the corners to soften it a bit. There's no reason to make the corners so sharp.

Has anyone noticed a tint shift in the R2 cool white version. I'm not certain, but it seems that mine has shifted toward a more greenish tint than when I first got it. When I first got it, I compared the beam to my only other decent light, a Fenix LD2 Q5, and I didn't notice a huge color difference, but now it seems pronounced.

-- Bill

wojtek_pl

Enlightened
Overloaded LEDs may change the color... :(

Anyway, I'll like the flashlight probably. I'm always dissapointed when I get new light but later I get used to it. With expensive one or the one with high expectations too...

I'm affraid it may break when it will fall down from some height. Though the head is so heavy it will be falling head first.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone noticed a tint shift in the R2 cool white version. I'm not certain, but it seems that mine has shifted toward a more greenish tint than when I first got it. When I first got it, I compared the beam to my only other decent light, a Fenix LD2 Q5, and I didn't notice a huge color difference, but now it seems pronounced.

-- Bill
Not here. In fact, this light has thee most neutral looking beam of all my lights. This could be partially due to the fact that it's a multi-emitter light.
Giving it a nice.. mix. :shrug:

Now, on low, it does lean ever so slightly towards green. But unless replying to a question like yours, I wouldn't ever even mention it. For a 'cool' emitter based light, it's very nice. The white light it puts out makes it seem all the brighter. It's quite impressive.

I had an opportunity to 'show it off' this weekend at a family gathering in the dark countryside and everyone who individually witnessed it went, "WoW! :huh:

easilyled

Flashaholic
maybe some of you guys got a rare lemon - but IMO this light (ok its not perfect) is one of the best lights I have bought to date - its one of the if not brightest in its class https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/232725

Sounds like these lights are well designed optically and electronically.

Just a pity that the physical design has not worked out better.

The flat side by side design for the body tube is always going to require less than straightforward solutions for the attachment of a tail-piece.

It just hasn't worked in this case.

I will never buy this light in this form while the tailcap is held on by some flimsy screws that come loose.

Seems to me that if Eagletac had opted for a traditional design with 3 18650s side-by-side in a round cell-tube then all these problems would have been avoided.

There would have been a longer runtime, the tailcap could have threaded in securely with no need for any accessory screws, and the light would also not be top-heavy.

Maybe this is the way to go for future EagleTac quad-die lights.

Glenn7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like these lights are well designed optically and electronically.

Just a pity that the physical design has not worked out better.

The flat side by side design for the body tube is always going to require less than straightforward solutions for the attachment of a tail-piece.

It just hasn't worked in this case.

I will never buy this light in this form while the tailcap is held on by some flimsy screws that come loose.

Seems to me that if Eagletac had opted for a traditional design with 3 18650s side-by-side in a round cell-tube then all these problems would have been avoided.

There would have been a longer runtime, the tailcap could have threaded in securely with no need for any accessory screws, and the light would also not be top-heavy.

Maybe this is the way to go for future EagleTac quad-die lights.
Have to agree with you on that - and it could be an easy fix by just making a new 3 gang battery tube that screws on in place of the old one - heck we'd even pay for it - so it would be a win win :thumbsup:

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have to agree with you on that - and it could be an easy fix by just making a new 3 gang battery tube that screws on in place of the old one - heck we'd even pay for it - so it would be a win win :thumbsup:

100% genius!

EagleTac! This is it!! Make a new batt tube with the triple 18650 design and we are golden!! I would pay $25 for it... maybe even $35... hard to pay much more for the metal tube but that'd be sweet!

:grin2:

9x23

Enlightened
100% genius!

EagleTac! This is it!! Make a new batt tube with the triple 18650 design and we are golden!! I would pay $25 for it... maybe even $35... hard to pay much more for the metal tube but that'd be sweet!

:grin2:

About 2 months ago I asked Eagletac's marketing director, Nicole, if they would consider making a round triple or quad 18650 battery tube since it would solve many waterproofing issues and extend runtime. She responded that she already "submitted the tri-18650 setup request" so I'm hoping it will come to fruition soon.

9x23

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be pretty cool, but I hope it will still have a tail switch so the parasitic drain could be easily shut down. :poke:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be somewhat interested in one, however the bonus of the 2 cell body is that it better fits with 2 bay chargers. Plus I find it dang comfortable. I just wish it was better in the waterproofedness arena.