Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

Poppy

Flashaholic
It is so so so much easier to do a job if you have the right tools.

Last week I replaced the end links for the front sway bar on my daughter's car. I bought an electric impact wrench, or that job wouldn't have been completed.

Yesterday, I replaced her outer tie rod ends.
It took me longer to get my tools together, chock the wheels, jack up the car, and take the tires off and put them back on, then it did to to replace the tie rod ends.

Having a tie rod end removal tool, made the job a breeze.

1687084754747.png

I also got to play with my new impact wrench.

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
So-called "Super White" headlight bulbs suck. Stick to regular old halogen if you can't get LED on your car. You do not want to be stuck with those in 40mm+ rainstorm weather, trust me.

I made the critical mistake of getting a pair off a mechanic I was a client of. Guy did an alright job, but became a full-on grifter in a matter of months. Now that I switched back to halogen, I can actually see at night without having to hold a thrower torch out of the driver side window to see the tarmac.
Many adults have some degree of lactose intolerance. Remember this before you order that ice cream cone. :sick:
Luckily I have no such issue :party:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many adults have some degree of lactose intolerance. Remember this before you order that ice cream cone. :sick:
Getting older, we all experience lactose intolerance to some degree. I say use the adverse effects to your advantage.. Next time your inline at the bank, or especially grocery store. Get in that checkers line who keeps short changing you, and then leave them, when passing, a present (-:

...after all seniors are excused, right?

One lasting lesson I received (the hard way) in a high school glass-blowing class was hot glass looks just like cold glass. We'd use a glass tube inserted into a rubber hose to blow on so we weren't putting the rubber hose into our mouths. I picked up my glass mouthpiece and burned the flesh of both my lower and upper lip. Turns out a friend had broken his mouthpiece so he heated mine and cut a short section off. Seems he didn't want to take the time to ask the instructor for a second piece of glass tube.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One lasting lesson I received (the hard way) in a high school glass-blowing class was hot glass looks just like cold glass. We'd use a glass tube inserted into a rubber hose to blow on so we weren't putting the rubber hose into our mouths. I picked up my glass mouthpiece and burned the flesh of both my lower and upper lip. Turns out a friend had broken his mouthpiece so he heated mine and cut a short section off. Seems he didn't want to take the time to ask the instructor for a second piece of glass tube.
Doh!!

IMG_0439.jpeg

Ya think there's a lesson to be learned here?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+

hmmm,
what's the best way to get a lifetime supply of free oxy? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Not in America. You know his insurance provider is just going to deny him. Too bad he wasn't born in literally any other 1st World nation on the planet that has Universal healthcare.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not in America. You know his insurance provider is just going to deny him. Too bad he wasn't born in literally any other 1st World nation on the planet that has Universal healthcare.
+

I should have quoted it in a way that the guy was thinking to himself for a good idea..

Honestly it's so unbelievable to me, the photo almost seems faked.
If someone tried doing that around here, people would call the fire dept & cops.
He'd get charged with 'endangerment' of this and that (because you can't yet charge people with being stupid)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah.... You have to come up with other terminology.
I remember a professor in college explaining how Common Law works in America. It's not specifically illegal to place a potted plant with a 12-inch diameter base onto an outside window sill that is only 6 inches wide. But when that plant falls off and lands on someone, under Common Law you can absolutely be arrested for negligence. (Translation: For being stupid.)

Poppy

Flashaholic
Show that picture to any siding or window guy - They'll shake their head and say - "Yep. That was me when I was young."
Yeah, I had an old timer tell me that "roofing is a job for old men" after I told him that I got a job with a roofer.
I was shocked, because it was hard work.
He explained, "Young men take too many safety chances."

Latest posts