Things I've learned the hard way . . .(Part 2)

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do not microwave a hard boiled egg to heat it up. It will explode while heating or worse, explode in your face once you put a fork in it. Lesson learned.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that doesn't sound good. Wonder if poking a couple holes in the egg would have prevented the explosion?

I learned the hard way to make sure you're walking through a doorway and not into a wall in the middle of the night trying to get to the bathroom haha. I was pretty sure I was in the right spot but apparently not. Hitting my head woke me up fast!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Let's say you have a favorite fixed-blade knife. Let's say the sheath is sub-par. Let's say that when you find a custom sheath-maker willing to make a custom kydex sheath for it.... You're going to DEFINITELY have to send your knife in so it will be fitted properly to the sheath. Unless you want a kydex sheath just too tight or just too loose for your tastes.

The only exception to this is pre-made kydex sheaths ready to ship. Or, semi-custom sheaths. Full blown customs that will take several weeks to arrive? Yeah, send in your knife.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned that there is a blue film sticker over the lens of Nitecore Tiny Monster lights. I thought for 6 months that my 4000 lumen TM06s was around 2000 lumens on high with a horribly bluish tint. I used it as a worklight with that stupid sticker on thinking it was just the antireflective coating. I only realized it was a sticker today when the heat of the light made the sticker wrinkle. Nowhere in the instructions does it mention this sticker and the little pull tab blended in well in the bezel. Feeling kind of stupid now.

Thom2022

Enlightened
Lesson one:
Never EVER give your dog that tries to shake toys to death a hammer. It's funny for 5 seconds.
Lesson two:
A fractured shin REALLY sucks!

Yes those two points are entirely related.
Also just add context, I picked up a hammer, my husky was interested, I showed it to her and she grabbed it by the handle then proceeded to parade it around (the funny part) and then shake it to death (unbelievably terrifying)
My shin was in the way.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Hope it's not a severe injury.

A bit of irony, I bought a ball peen hammer the day before yesterday. Bought a stubby handle (A.K.A. ~ cut-down handle) hammer a few hours ago. Also, Zippo offers both a brown and a separate black semi-custom image of a hammer you can put on a classic Zippo.

Last edited:

Thom2022

Enlightened
It was a few years ago, no lasting damage just a split running up the middle and a couple small chips. It woulda made a great fail video!

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
It was a few years ago, no lasting damage just a split running up the middle and a couple small chips. It woulda made a great fail video!

'Just split it down the middle, it's nothing' lol! That shin bone has gotta be what, at least 3/4 of your lower leg bone support?

Glad it turned out okay. Story made me chuckle too (I love seeing what the pup will play with/be interested in)though I understand the fear. Had a hammer thrown at me once by a child who was chasing me when I was ~3rd grade and we were building tree forts, he was nice but... not all there. Yeah don't mess with hammers!

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I learned that there is a blue film sticker over the lens of Nitecore Tiny Monster lights. I thought for 6 months that my 4000 lumen TM06s was around 2000 lumens on high with a horribly bluish tint. I used it as a worklight with that stupid sticker on thinking it was just the antireflective coating. I only realized it was a sticker today when the heat of the light made the sticker wrinkle. Nowhere in the instructions does it mention this sticker and the little pull tab blended in well in the bezel. Feeling kind of stupid now.

Haha don't feel too bad. I made the same mistake. If my wife didn't ask about the blue then I wouldn't have realized as quickly as I did, and that was definitely not right when I got it out of the box. I was a bit disappointed with the tint as well and it was really tough to tell at first because of the hidden tab. :)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I remember I bought some piece of consumer electronics gear years ago and I thought "man, that front panel is an ugly blue." It took far too long to recognize that it was a peel-away film that was put there for scratch protection.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Indeed! You would have easily gotten 1,000,000 views and likely have been trending.

Thom2022

Enlightened
'Just split it down the middle, it's nothing' lol!
When your as accident prone as I am then stuff like this just seems normal. A brief rundown of the major stuff I've done in a 10 year period is as follows,
Hit by 3 cars, hit by a bus (slow moving thankfully), in my car whilst it gone run over by a tractor, came off my downhill bike and landed lower back first on a tree stump, nearly punctured my throat with my collar bone in another bike crash, landed neck first on the edge of a quarter pipe after falling ~2.5m, electrocuted myself with 240v UK mains roughly 5 times, dropped a gearbox onto my chest and lastly that I can remember ripped a steel toe cap out of one of my boots with a metal bladed petrol strimmer when I lost my footing due to a hidden rabbit hole and dropped it at full chat onto my other foot.
For those reasons I now believe I am immortal.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I think God hates you. (Just kidding, just kidding. :))

Wow! Every time I'm having a bad day, I can just think of one of those above incidents and feel better.

scout24

Flashaholic

I applaud your willingness to share this here. And I can see how east it was to have that misunderstanding...