Things I've learned the hard way . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Re: Things I\'ve learned the hard way . . .

When you're buying items that you really want or need, (ie underware, socks, clock radios, etc ) and you find something really excellent both functionally and pricewise - buy more than the amount you normally would. Soooner or later that great model will be replaced by an "improved" model that is worse than the one you have, not to mention more expensive.

Brightnorm

nightshade

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
When you're buying items that you really want or need, (ie underware, socks, clock radios, etc ) and you find something really excellent both functionally and pricewise - buy more than the amount you normally would. Soooner or later that great model will be replaced by an "improved" model that is worse than the one you have, not to mention more expensive.

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif So true. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%, Brightnorm. I now stock up on a few personal necessities after having lost my favorites, the things that fit just right, work really well, or last really long. Usually the "improved" version has fewer features, is poorly made or just doesn't fit or work like the legacy stuff did.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

When your car tries to tell you something, listen.

Car which I'd just spent a long while restoring ALWAYS started first time without protest - aside from one morning. I generally would have taken that as a sign to stay put, but I had 20 minutes before the store closed which had the part I needed - so decided to ignore it and go for it anyway. Figuring I had breakdown cover if everything went wrong. Idiot.

30 seconds later, I slammed into the side of a gas tanker which shot a junction in front of me.

wmpwi

Enlightened

Zelandeth, the very fact that your writing this rather than one of your surviving relatives is a wonder in and of itself. Sorry about the car, but the down side could have been much uglier. Glad you're still with us and I assume you'll be editing your (web page)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast

How many times do we have to learn things the hard way before it sinks in.

I couldn't count how many times this has happend to me. I got a new toy in the mail on Friday. After playing with it all day Saturday, I decided that I wanted to take it to work so I put it somewhere where I wouldn't forget it.

Guess what - I've spent all day Sunday, and a few hours this morning, looking for it. I even tried the old standby - looking in the refrigerator (place of last resort to look, but nothings ever there).

I sure hope I don't have to wait for it to rematerialize from that parallel dimension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

drizzle

Enlightened

Don't put your super expensive tent in the washing machine.

After the washing machine has bonded the plastic coating together of the nylon floor of your super expensive tent. Don't get so upset that you decide just to give it away and buy another rather than try to repair it. You will find that the company that made this perfect tent has gone out of business and you will never find another like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW, for JimH and for everybody, I have a really effective way of putting things where I will find them again. This is for all those little things that don't have a set place. If I look for it and don't find it in the first place I look, I remember that place because that will be the first place I look every time I look for it. That is now it's place. When I eventually do find it and want to put it away again I put it in it's place.

Of course, that doesn't stop me from putting something in a "special" place from time to time, and forgetting where that special place is.

newo

Newly Enlightened

It is cheaper to keep her.

Life is too short to drink cheap wine.

When in doubt, spend the money. You'll end up spending it anyway, and there is no sense in paying for something twice because you tried to save a few bucks the first time around.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Never put plain tap water in your car's radiator in the winter.
:ohgeez:

Ok, so I was young and stupid. The only difference now is that I'm no longer young!
:laughing:

Last edited:

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
newo said:
When in doubt, spend the money. You'll end up spending it anyway, and there is no sense in paying for something twice because you tried to save a few bucks the first time around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ain't that the truth... I NEVER learn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Never take sides when any of your in-laws are getting divorced.

Never get mad just because you assumed your teenager would be where they said they were going. It's your job to check.

Never get mad when your parents catch you. That's their job.

Never underestimate the stupidity of anyone including (especially?) yourself.

Never underestimate the power to make money from other folks being stupid.

Never underestimate the amount of money you can lose not only because you can be stupid once in a while, but also because someone might just be (a lot) smarter than you.

Never miss a chance to hear good music, have a drink of good wine, have a bite of good food, or to kiss a pretty girl (on the cheek, in case your certain someone is watching).

Your certain someone is always watching.

There is truth in these statements ONLY if wisely used:
- Never do anything you'll regret.
- It is better to regret stuff you did than stuff you didn't do.

Betting your rear end on a piece of equipment that you bought really, really cheap isn't always a good idea.

Someone is going to get hurt real bad (at the very least) moments after you hear these words, "Hey, wanna see me do something really cool?"

The big dog you got for protection will turn out to be the friend of absolutely everyone.

The extensive and expensive training for the dog will only work if everyone else in the house uses it consistently, which of course will never, ever happen.

The more expesive the cell phone you get your wife and kids, the more they will tend to lose it. A corollary: the more features you get for their phones, the less they will use the features, the phone, or (more likely) both, but if you don't get the features you will never hear the end of the whining and gnashing of teeth.

The more expensive the cell phone you get for yourself, the more everyone else will take it while you are not looking. And they will lose it.

The more reminder notes that you leave for yourself, the more liable you are to forget something. And really look stupid (well, more so anyway) to your wife.

The longer you are married, the more you are going to be wrong.

Even when you are right.

Even if you can prove it.

Especially if you can prove it.

drizzle

Enlightened

Dang Sam! Did you really learn ALL of that the hard way? I'm suprised you're still around to tell us about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
chmsam said:
Someone is going to get hurt real bad (at the very least) moments after you hear these words, "Hey, wanna see me do something really cool?"

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminded me of one I still have to relearn from time to time:

The Frisbee Rule of Predictions:
Never make a prediction more specific than, "Hey, watch this."

Samoan

Enlightened

Don't ask how the car keys got in the freezer. Accept that this is where they are and get on with your day.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

The most important thing I have learned the hard way is that life is very rarely dull. And usually for all the wrong reasons.

Not too far off topic but here's one to learn the easy way -- I heard it in a comedy routine and goes something like...

"I can't imagine why my wife is so annoying. Women are overly sensitive and always want to be the center of attention... What's that, Honey? (See what I mean?)... Yeah, in a minute... They're always getting into your business. My wife can't go a minute without interrupting... What was that noise in the other room? Hey, cool! It's a boy!... Now, where was I? See, they're always interrupting..."

Maybe this is a cautionary tale.

fuelblender

Enlightened

If you ever meet the President, don't offer him the surprise gift of a firearm by whipping it suddenly out of your coat pocket.

drizzle

Enlightened

Hey fb, this thread is things you have learned the hard way. Are you writing us from prison? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Should'a laid in another 10 units of the CMG Inf Ultra with lug lanyard hole while the going was good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Always check for toilet paper before you do- umm... you know. ESPECIALLY when you are in a public bathroom. You dont want to have to pay the guy in the next stall ten bucks for 5 little squares of toilet paper.

RAF_Groundcrew

Enlightened
If you find something that you really like, buy a spare, you'll lose the first one.

Almost anything can be fixed.

Almost anything can be broken.

Many things can be broken further by trying to fix them.

Your partner (I would say wife, but that would be sexist (even if it's true)) will knock over that glass of water on the floor in the second between you noticing, and telling them to be careful......

Alcohol gets you drunk (but I still keep trying to disprove that theory).

Status
Not open for further replies.