Things that need to be invented

fyrstormer

Banned
How about a mouth wash that removes all the nasty stuff on your teeth. So you just swish instead of brushing.
Biotene, Listerine, and Crest mouthwashes all do this to a certain extent. There are also pressurized-water cleaners available. However, no liquid can pull gunk out from under your gumline, whereas toothbrush bristles and floss are extremely effective at this.

At least, no mouthwash could completely dissolve food and bacteria without similarly dissolving your gums.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
At least, no mouthwash could completely dissolve food and bacteria without similarly dissolving your gums.

oh they exist alright, but only in extreme cases of oral infection or surgery. with long term use they stain your teeth black, but will kill all bad bacteria. n-a-s-t-y

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
An anti-cologne spray. Something you can carry around in a little spritz bottle that will neutralize the odor of cologne or perfume when you get it on your hands or skin from someone who's wearing it. I shook someone's hand the other day and I picked up the scent of cologne on my hand. Everything I touched after that picked up a little bit of that scent. Agh! I'd love to be able to zap it with a spray.

I thought about Febreze but that has it's own scent, and I don't want to walk around smelling like a bottle of Febreze either!

Try washing your hands under running water (although I suppose a basin of water would work) and stainless steel. I use a stainless steel pot-scrubber (think stainless steel wool), but you could probably use a couple of spoons (knives and forks have uncomfortable parts). I have no idea why this works, but it sure seems to remove the garlic and onion smell from my hands.

Jrubin

Newly Enlightened
I can think of a number of things that the world needs that don't seem to exist yet. How about you?

Right off the bat -

A flash drive that allows the user to snap apart the USB controller from the memory. Thus if the controller blows out, you can resurrect the data by plugging in another one. I've lost two flash drives to controller failures so far.

A shoe sole that can maintain traction on ice and on hard floors. Right now it seems to be one or the other.

Well how about icebugs, they have studs that retract when on hard surfaces, but press into ice and packed snow when there. the only downside is they make a slight clicking when walking on linoleum. but you wont slip and fall great winter running shoes/boots

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Well how about icebugs, they have studs that retract when on hard surfaces, but press into ice and packed snow when there. the only downside is they make a slight clicking when walking on linoleum. but you wont slip and fall great winter running shoes/boots

Never heard of them but I will check them out. Thanks!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quantum tunelling cars that can ride right through each other. That alone would change the entire world...

H-Man

Enlightened
A computer monitor/glasses combo, that allows the wearer of the glasses to see the monitors image ( say CPF at work), yet anyone one else not wearing the linked glasses would see the monitor with an non coded image ( say a spreadhseet).
http://www.instructables.com/id/Privacy-monitor-made-from-an-old-LCD-Monitor/
Non quite the same, but close.

How about a blood cell that can build other cells, so if say a finger is chopped off, it grows back as quick as blood supply can allow.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
...Alternately, you can get laser hair removal that kills the follicle on the first go-round.

Can a laser reach far enough into the skin to heat up the follicle without causing collateral damage to the skin? The follicles are fairly deep. I've seen ads for laser hair removal salons, but I've always wondered about this. And I'm assuming that it only works on darker hairs that will absorb the laser's energy rather than reflect it back.
:shrug:

Flashlight Enthusiast
A toilet seat that goes down automatically after use, so you don't get crap for leaving it up.

alex

gollum

Enlightened
An anti-cologne spray. Something you can carry around in a little spritz bottle that will neutralize the odor of cologne or perfume when you get it on your hands or skin from someone who's wearing it. I shook someone's hand the other day and I picked up the scent of cologne on my hand. Everything I touched after that picked up a little bit of that scent. Agh! I'd love to be able to zap it with a spray.

I thought about Febreze but that has it's own scent, and I don't want to walk around smelling like a bottle of Febreze either!

Further to Cyclops post #27
there is available "stainless steel soap" $9.95
apparently works and lasts forever

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Further to Cyclops post #27
there is available "stainless steel soap" $9.95
apparently works and lasts forever

Stainless steel soap? Any more details? I'm interested in something that I can keep with me on the road that doesn't require access to running water.