ThruNite TN32,1700 Lm Thrower REVIEW, Pictures & Beamshots

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ThruNite TN32-Pictures & Beamshots(review in progress)

Thrunite has underestimated their lux on this light

FlashLion measured his sample at 230k cd, whereas ThruNite's spec is 240k cd so I don't believe they underestimated the lux on the TN32.

Glowman

Newly Enlightened

It was originally 132k and 727meters in their specs. Thrunite changed it later when the other review measured it as 200k+ and 950+meters.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

That makes sense now, mmander. My TN31mb had a gap between the bezel and head as well but it wasn't sharp. However, saabluster could have possibly sanded or filed it down.

Capolini

Banned

It was originally 132k and 727meters in their specs. Thrunite changed it later when the other review measured it as 200k+ and 950+meters.

Absolutely true! JohnnyMac contacted the owner of Thrunite and instructed him how to properly measure LUX!

FLASHLION:

Great review in all aspects! Your photography skills have shown again!! :thumbsup:

Capolini

Banned

That makes sense now, mmander. My TN31mb had a gap between the bezel and head as well but it wasn't sharp. However, saabluster could have possibly sanded or filed it down.

I also have the O.S.T.S TN31mb.I got it a few weeks ago[470Kcd!]

In regards to the gap b/w the bezel and head, mine is as smooth as a baby's a..!! I do not believe Michael sanded mine, I think I would notice,,,,,out of curiosity I will ask him next time we speak,,,,he is a very nice man!

This TN32 looks like an awesome stock torch!

EDIT: For anyone who cares!!!

I talked to Michael[OMG/OSTS] TODAY AND HE SAID THE MODDED TN31mb that he sold me had no defect b/w the bezel and head, therefore he did not have to fix it.

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also have the O.S.T.S TN31mb.I got it a few weeks ago[470Kcd!]

In regards to the gap b/w the bezel and head, mine is as smooth as a baby's a..!! I do not believe Michael sanded mine, I think I would notice,,,,,out of curiosity I will ask him next time we speak,,,,he is a very nice man!

This TN32 looks like an awesome stock torch!

I am glad to hear you are liking your TN31mb. It is quite impressive for sure! Mine was 407K. As far as the TN32 it looks like it is as good or close to the throw kings of stock factory lights. Olight and Eagletac have large lights with 250Kish candela but this light is very close according to what people here are measuring.

This thing would obviously be even more impressive without the dome but I doubt we will see a manufacturer actually de-dome an LED. That is probably why the few domeless offerings are the Luminous variety because they come from Luminous without a dome. The XM-L2 would have to have the dome removed since Cree does not offer a bare chip, which is too bad!

Capolini

Banned

3 in a row for me!

Does this torch have any kind of step down on MAX? Thermal? Timed? What happens when the batteries are low, does it step down to lower mode or shut off?

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just realized that Thrunite modified the tailcap to have 3 grooves instead of the two on the original TN31. This is a good improvement and should make it a little easier to find and activate the button.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have vinhs tn31vn and measured 507k lux which is about what most are measuring it at. Never would have thought 5 years ago id have a light over 100k let alone 500k. This is my second tn31vn my first one had a gap and the bezal was not aligned but i sold it to buy other lights but missed it so much i bought it again lol. Only payed 100 as it has a broken head gasket oring and a very slightly scratched lens. No gap or alignment issues at all. For 100 bucks it was a steal. Vinh is also a great guy to deal with.

Capolini

Banned

I just bought it!! Now my OSTS TN31mb can have some company!

Tomorrow I will be getting my second modded torch,,an X10vn! Now I will have one from Michael and one from Vihn!

I have been on a binge the last month or so! For others like me you can get some therapy on my thread!

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...SING-THE-LINE-quot-WHEN-IS-TOO-MUCH-TOO-MUCH-!!!

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the x10vn and its over 100k easy. It was brighter then i was expecting and i was expecting a lot lol. This light and my x3vn are my favorites

Roger Ranger

Enlightened

It's sharp in the gap, between the top of the head and the bezel. The problem is that the bezel isn't quite centered with respect to the head, so along 1/4 or so of the circumference, the bezel edge sticks out ever so slightly and on the opposite side, is it recessed slightly below the level of the head. The protruding edge is very sharp and the 0.75mm gap is wide enough that you can easily feel it. Here is a shot I took of it before sanding it down...

D800_BC14_00250.jpg

This is an extreme macro and the bezel gap looks way worse here than it does in real life! The inside, narrower part of the gap is maybe 0.5mm or slightly more. However you can see it is protruding above the main body of the head. Pardon the debris on that edge - I didn't see that until after I took the shot and zoomed in. The edges around the top of the bezel and crenelations are finished better, in other words, the surfaces that one is generally prone to touching don't feel sharp enough to cut or abrade. I'd still like to see the exposed bezel surfaces slightly chamfered (or chamfered more) but as it is, I can live with that.

Now that I've lightly sanded away the sharp inner surface, you can run your hand along that edge and not feel like you could potentially cut yourself. Jeez, that photo really does make it look like a huge gap… :eek: it definitely is not that bad.

I had the same issue with my bezel. I was able to reduce the gap by greasing the threads and applying a moderate pressing force to the bezel as I screwed it back in place.

Last edited:

plexus

Newly Enlightened
ThruNite TN32-REVIEW, Pictures & Beamshots

I decided to sell 3 of my lights and replace with a nitecore TM26. The idea was once i got the TM i wanted to see if it could throw as much as I would need. it wont. but its still an excellent flashlight. so I just ordered a TN32. cant really afford it but I cant resist. I think the TM and the TN will make a nice pair.

Roger Ranger

Enlightened
Re: ThruNite TN32-REVIEW, Pictures & Beamshots

I decided to sell 3 of my lights and replace with a nitecore TM26. The idea was once i got the TM i wanted to see if it could throw as much as I would need. it wont. but its still an excellent flashlight. so I just ordered a TN32. cant really afford it but I cant resist. I think the TM and the TN will make a nice pair.

I think that you are correct that these lights complement one another.

Both the TN32 and the TM26 have a very useful number of levels, 6 and 5. With both you can walk around a dark house without lighting up the world. Until something better comes out, these are the two lights that I take with me on trips. By the way, have you seen pictures of the not-yet-released TM36? A thrower TM26!

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

Anyone have an opinion of which would be a higher quality light.

A Vin modified TN31 that is still domed or this light? Any differences that standout to anyone? (I don't know what all Vin does other than boost the amps.)

Capolini

Banned

A Vin modified TN31 that is still domed or this light? Any differences that standout to anyone? (I don't know what all Vin does other than boost the amps.)

Quality is a matter of opinion. Do you mean performance? I think the TN32 appears to be a quality light,but it just came out! I get mine tomorrow. Vihn and Michael [OMG/OSTS] take tremendous pride in their work,,I do not think you have to worry about quality!

I am getting my First Vihn light today,,,,,an X10vn. I am sure I will like it!

As far as the TN31vn goes,,,I do not have one! I have an OSTS TN31mb. Regardless of which one[modded light] you "may" get, either one will be throw monsters and they both take pride in their work and I am sure the "Quality" will be there! :)

So, I guess quality was a question I eventually answered! I would not worry about quality,,,,,just don't shine either of them in your adversaries eyes[ A'ho.. Car drivers!] too much!!

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what I can tell the TN31vn with the dome still on vs. this TN32 the performance should be about the same. Thrunite states that the LED is mounted to a copper board(MCPCB) and they must be driving this at 6-6.5 amps from the numbers. The TN31vn with dome would be similar drive current and the LED is also on a copper MCPCB. I don't think the TN31vn would have much an advantage heat-wise with the aluminum base vs. brass base(advertised as solid copper) that the LED MCPCB is mounted on. With this much mass it shouldn't be a huge problem for the amount of waste heat. However, the TN32 would have a warranty advantage and the TN31vn de-domed would have a noticeable throw advantage.

stevo250

Newly Enlightened

The TN31vn is also has led mounted to copper. As far as I know it is actual copper for his.

Capolini

Banned

;)THROWERS: THE THRUNITE BROTHERS:thumbsup:

TN32-230/240Kcd and OSTS TN31mb 470Kcd!

THROWERS004_zpsdc646dbf.jpg

:)Thrunite and Friends!:twothumbs
Far left: Olight M3X-91Kcd. Middle:TN32-230/240Kcd and OSTS TN31mb-470Kcd End TK75[Stock] 119.5Kcd

THROWERS002_zps0e419319.jpg

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened

Congratulations on your new light ! :thumbsup:
Your collection is full of great lights.
Thanks for the pictures.