Tips for effective flashlight use?

FourBin Labs

Newly Enlightened
The idea with duct tape around the upper body of the flashlight for a more convenient "teeth hold" is perfect, I do it all the time.
Gaff tape also works very well for this, and is less likely to leave residue when removed from a light.

When using as ceiling bounce, to prevent it from glaring into your eyes, you can not only put it above eye level, but you can also put it in a wider glass so that the flashlight leans to the "glass wall" away from you and still points upwards.
I've used lampshades over a light before. This helps a lot with lights that are at or just a bit below eye level. It diffuses light that would hit your eyes, but most of the light still shines directly out the top on to the ceiling.

Hey, in extremely cold conditions, when heat is more important than light, perhaps you could use your lights to warm your hands a little. Turn it on on high and wait for the flashlight body to get warm/hot. I love doing that when my hands are cold, lol.

Did this yesterday while working outside for several hours on a cold morning. Actually stuck my light inside of my leather glove. Works fairly well, but sill had a bit of trouble getting the heat all the way down to my fingers.

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight cooking tip when camping
Use a NW light when cooking steak or chops, it shows the "cooked" colour compared to a cool white emitter.

FourBin Labs

Newly Enlightened
Catalog your lights.

I started a spread sheet this week with the following organization

ID section:
Brand / Name / Color / Serial # (If applicable)

Technical Info:
Battery Type(s) / Voltage Range / Emitter Type

Usage Info:
Lumens (each mode) / Runtime (each mode) / Lux (on highest mode) / Max Distance

Addition Notes Section

The idea here being that you have a quick reference if you ever need to pick a light for any particular application.

Which light has the farthest throw?
Which light has the best run time?
What battery combinations can I put in this light without damaging it?
etc.

D6859

Enlightened
Use a balloon to make a diffuser. This tip is by TurboBB in: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...FFUSER-IDEAS&p=3276614&viewfull=1#post3276614 : "Adjust the air in the balloon to control the light diffusion. I'd imagine if you used a long and skinny one, it'll be very close in profile to the conical diffusers but this works great for casting 360 spherical wall of light."
You can find balloons with different colours. I've found yellow, red and white most useful.

Someone posted the duct tape tip already. Use strip wide enough (1 cm is not enough) and do not let the flashlight drop when holding it in your mouth. I almost broke a tooth.

Winter is coming here in Finland. I'll start testing different NiMHs and try to figure out tips for usage in cold.

D6859

Enlightened
Remembered one now. Sometimes I use my Olight S15 with the clip reversed and attached to the screen of my laptop to light the keyboard when it's too dark to see it (e.g. now travelling in a car). My laptop is small and I am not used to the keyboard but it has thin screen so I'm able to attach the clip. The tip might work only on some (small) flashlights and thin screens. Disclaimer: be careful not to scratch your webcam.

dss_777

Enlightened
Use a label maker to mark which drop-in is in a specific host. Description/specs, in small type, and stick it to the head. Easier to keep track of what is where, and allows comparing lights if you've got multiples with different specs.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned.

piglet

Newly Enlightened
If it's a blackout, and it's still light outside - find your flashlight and batteries while it's really easy.

If your flashlight has a step down, and it's been on for a while, turn it off and back on again for more light.

MethylEthyl

Newly Enlightened
Quark Tip:

Many complain that Quarks with tactical (proud) tailcaps can not tailstand. Foursevens ships Quarks with a rubber handgrip. Cut one end of the handgrip off, and you now have a one inch section of rubber that is Quark diameter. Slide this over your tailcap and down.

This provides 3 advantages:
-Slide rubber piece back in order to tailstand the light.
-Put flashlight in mouth comfortably
-Move rubber piece to the front of the light and slide to reduce spill angle.

160r808.png

piglet

Newly Enlightened
You can make a sipik 68 tailstand by unscrewing the bezel and using it as a stand. Might as well leave the lens in place to stop you having to look for it later.

Perhaps the best application of this would make it easier to give out 'sacrificial' flashlights during a blackout.

tino79

Newly Enlightened
This tip is not from me, I read it somewhere in taschenlampen-forum.de If you have a mosquito bite and it hurts. Put a bright flashlight with the light emitting site on it and power on the turbo mode. The heat will destroy the toxic and the pain will stop. It is the same principle than this tools for mosquito bites with an heating point on it.

Duramarks

Newly Enlightened
This has already been mentioned a few times, but I don't think anyone said electrical tape yet. I use electrical tape around the end of a few of my black flashlighs. With the tape and the flashlight both being black you can't really tell that the tape is there from the looks of it.

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
When ever I need a fast and cheap defuser I just grab the cap off a water bottle. Just snap it on the head and there you go cheap and easy.

This is the exact same water bottle cap I use for my Nitecore P12. It literally snaps onto the light like it was made for it. I have tried other caps and they do not fit.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that ease of clip use is a big deal in my EDC choices. The ability to one hand draw and one hand store is a must. That means the clip must be pliant enough, and the tip must curve upward enough to slide onto the pocket fabric on the first try.

list your lights

_

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
Quark Tip:

Many complain that Quarks with tactical (proud) tailcaps can not tailstand. Foursevens ships Quarks with a rubber handgrip. Cut one end of the handgrip off, and you now have a one inch section of rubber that is Quark diameter. Slide this over your tailcap and down.

This provides 3 advantages:
-Slide rubber piece back in order to tailstand the light.
-Put flashlight in mouth comfortably
-Move rubber piece to the front of the light and slide to reduce spill angle.

160r808.png

Very nice tip! mine are just sitting in a draw.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some flashlight tips more on the side towards preparedness / battery usage:

Standby flashlights

Many of us have several lights fueled up at any time, but how many of them have fresh fuel, ready for a power outage or other emergency situation?

Choose a few of your lights that you don't mind using only occasionally to be standby lights - 3-5 would be ideal. These should be quality lights you would be happy to rely on if you did not have your EDC (or it was broken). For some of you, shelf queens might make good standby lights. If you have trouble selecting them additional criteria for me are lights that are single cell (AA, AAA or 18650) and have variable brightness levels. Lights with very high parasitic drain should be locked out however a little bit of parasitic drain is fine.

Leave a fully charged cell in each standby light and place them in a dedicated place. Don't scatter them about, perhaps select 2 locations. Every month or so swap your EDC with one of these and use it until the battery runs out. Then recharge the cell and place the light back into the standby pile. Other than that, try to avoid using lights from this pile unless your EDC/primary lights are out of action or it is an emergency.

This ensures that you have a set of "grab and go" lights that will always work when required, have a fresh charge, and that the batteries get cycled reasonably regularly. Secondary cells work better for this because ideally you will use the light every month or so to ensure it still functions correctly. If you use primary cells this could get expensive.

Weekly EDC battery topup (mostly 18650 lights)

If your EDC light uses a lithium-ion battery, get in the habit of checking the power level every weekend. Once you are below about 60% charge top up the cell. You will be confident knowing that you always have at least half a tank ready to go if the unknown strikes at the worst moment. This works better for lights that use a high capacity 18650 cell, as even half a charge would be plenty for most power outage situations.

If the cell is around 80% or so, I usually wont top it up as I want to increase the lifetime of the lithium-ion cell a little bit. However if bad weather is rolling in, you might want to top them off anyway ;)

USB "desk lamps" / plug in lights

If you have any USB power banks, buy a couple of USB lights for them. Make sure to get at least one long-running laptop keyboard style light (good for reading/playing cards) and one high power one.

The low power ones sometimes draw as little as 20-50mA @ 5V. If you are already using the power bank to charge a device such as a mobile phone, you won't lose much power by plugging the low power light into the power bank at the same time to get some useable light for the table too (this assumes you have a power bank with 2+ USB outlets).

The high power ones tend to be a small plug-only lamp without a cable and sometimes get quite hot, perhaps also heating up the power bank. If you get a long USB extension cord, you can suspend it like a pendant light providing area lighting and keeping the heat away from the power source.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overhead flood light.

Tie one end of 550 paracord (or Mason's string) to a rock.
Throw it up over a high branch in a tree.
Then untie from rock and re-tie to tailcap end of light.
Hoist the light high up into the tree.
Then tie other end around the tree trunk or lower branch to secure it.

Makes for a beautiful on-site temporary overhead light.

Works great for:
- Lighting up a campsite.
- Lighting up your spot while fishing the riverbanks.
- Lighting up a picnic table for dinner and cards.
- Lighting up an area to clean wild game.
- And whatever else requires make-shift overhead lighting.

Last edited:

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Overhead flood light.

Tie one end of 550 paracord (or Mason's string) to a rock.
Throw it up over a high branch in a tree.

For the past month or so, I have been visualizing this. It seems like it would be an improvement over a centrally-positioned lantern. Most lanterns have too much glare when they sit between you and the thing you are looking at.

My idea is to use a zoomie set to flood. You could also string a "clothes line" between two trees, and hang a couple of lights at just the right places.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the past month or so, I have been visualizing this. It seems like it would be an improvement over a centrally-positioned lantern...

My idea is to use a zoomie set to flood. You could also string a "clothes line" between two trees, and hang a couple of lights at just the right places.
Great idea on the high clothes line approach. I'll have to give that a try when I need light in an open area that's between accessible trees.