Tmack customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although thermal on the near-silent supressed 300blk could be very cool. Silent and invisible. Hmmmmm.

We were playing with ir diodes and some night vision goggles and it would be ideal on a weapon.

Completely clear beam on the target that only the user can see.

But they are dangerous. If you were to get hit in the eyes, you wouldn't even blink because you'd have no reason to according to the brain, but your vision would be gone in a fraction of a second from the beam. They are very very dangerous laser. You can blind yourself without even knowing until it's too late.

tomthebaker

Newly Enlightened
the reason I want thermal over NV is that in Iraq, the bad guys were using cell phone's cameras to see the IR lasers and such. Apparently the cell cameras can "see" some of the IR spectrum as well. You may want to experiment with your IR laser and cell camera to test it. With thermal, you don't use an IR illuminator. so it is harder to be spotted by someone else with NV or a camera. Judicious use of an IR laser could be helpful in some circumstances, however.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh if I had the choice I'd use thermal as well. Just more practical. I just always thought the ir would be fun too.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
the reason I want thermal over NV is that in Iraq, the bad guys were using cell phone's cameras to see the IR lasers and such. Apparently the cell cameras can "see" some of the IR spectrum as well. You may want to experiment with your IR laser and cell camera to test it. With thermal, you don't use an IR illuminator. so it is harder to be spotted by someone else with NV or a camera. Judicious use of an IR laser could be helpful in some circumstances, however.

To me the perfect solution would be PASSIVE thermal sights with a calibratable aimpoint, so the aim point is set to windage/elevation/range, etc as normal, but the sight is a passive thermal (FLIR, etc) device.

That way, you don't project anything that can be detected, regardless of detection methods employed...as there's nothing TO detect...but, you see the target due to its heat radiation, and, can use the reticule to place the shot.

:devil:

MarkyP

Newly Enlightened
Hi TMack,

Been lurking for a long time but your lasers are very impressive, enough to have me try and join in!

Are you able to give me rough run times and costs for a 3w or 6w 445nm in a pocketable host? Say, something the size of the Nitecore P16 - around 6" long?

Also, what are you typically using for power - 18650's ? Is there a benefit for going for a a dual cell setup or is the limit on runtime more around heat generation than current draw; or perhaps they the same thing?

Thanks.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hi TMack,

Been lurking for a long time but your lasers are very impressive, enough to have me try and join in!

Are you able to give me rough run times and costs for a 3w or 6w 445nm in a pocketable host? Say, something the size of the Nitecore P16 - around 6" long?

Also, what are you typically using for power - 18650's ? Is there a benefit for going for a a dual cell setup or is the limit on runtime more around heat generation than current draw; or perhaps they the same thing?

Thanks.

The dual cells double the voltage.

:D

18350 pairs are ~ the same length as one 18650, but double the V juice. If IMR, they don't need protection, and, can also be higher amp capacity than an ICR 18650, etc.

star_c_star

Enlightened
I'm surprised that no one has added to this thread in several days, so I will do so.

Does anyone who has a Tmack Custom laser (I have a few) wish we could have more focusing lens options than the 1-element and 3-element ones?

For example, a laser range extender that would expand the beam but keep it "tighter" over longer distances.

Or perhaps something that reduces the spot to near microscopic levels a foot away, even more than the 3-element option does. If it produced a microscopic spot an inch or two away, it would produce smoke too close to the focusing lens and diode window.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
f8df78eb-9ad3-46a1-9f59-ccaa620f8861_zps8e739639.jpg

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used low light setting on my phone. Also it was cloudy and the sun was just starting to go down so the beams are quite visable :)

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
i was about to comment about the lack of tmack lately as well... hope all is good
I hope so to, he might just be busy.Not just this thread but his last post on the whole forum (and he posts a lot) was nearly or just over around 48hrs ago. (See latest post's on his account page)Tmack, let us know your ok, doesn't take us long to notice such a talented guy hasn't been on for a while!

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys. Thanks so much for the concern. I've been really not feeling well for too long now. Not seeming to be getting better. I've been to the doctors a few times, but medicine isn't working. Hopefully I'll be up and running soon. Really tired of feeling like this. Thanks again everyone. I really have good friends in this community. :)

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
No problem mack! I hope they can find out what's up with you buddy! Take all the time you need, now we know your okish - kinda. At least you have plenty of lights and laser's and knives to play with while they fix you up! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.