What do you guys like for pens? ...

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I loved the Fisher space "bullet" pens for awhile until I realized that every single one of them would leak, so when I went to use it, a big linty ball of ink would splotch onto the paper.

In the last 10 years or so that I've used space pen refills, I've only known of two that would occasionally have a blob of ink at the tip when they've been sitting for a while. Is it inevitable that all of them will eventually exhibit this behavior? Is it an indicator that they're running out of ink?

--flatline

CheepSteal

Enlightened
Zebra F-301! Love it but it's unavailble in Australia I think. Bought four on my last trip 9 months ago, only one has low ink (I've only used one out of the four). Great EDC pen for university.
That, and my Shrade tac pen always stays in my right pocket in public.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have managed to avoid the pen issue for a long time now. I used to be obsessed with them when I was teaching high school.

I used to love Rotring pens for their heft, but you really needed to replace the inks because their stock inks weren't the best.

obi

Monocrom

Flashaholic
In the last 10 years or so that I've used space pen refills, I've only known of two that would occasionally have a blob of ink at the tip when they've been sitting for a while. Is it inevitable that all of them will eventually exhibit this behavior? Is it an indicator that they're running out of ink?

--flatline

Several years back, Fisher refills used to be about as smooth as writing with a piece of chalk. The company has changed the formula so that the ink flow is much smoother now. Perhaps a bit too much so. The blob issue doesn't exist with their fine-point ballpoint refills. Easiest fix is to use the Fine instead of the Medium.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several years back, Fisher refills used to be about as smooth as writing with a piece of chalk. The company has changed the formula so that the ink flow is much smoother now. Perhaps a bit too much so. The blob issue doesn't exist with their fine-point ballpoint refills. Easiest fix is to use the Fine instead of the Medium.

Excellent! I only use Fine point refills, so perhaps I will be spared this behavior.

--flatline

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer the original question:

I purchased several Zebra 401 pens and modified them (cut down the spring and enlarged the hole at the tip) to accommodate space pen refills. I would have preferred to do this to the Zebra 701 (I like the knurling), but there's a little rubber gasket at the tip that I can't play nicely with the space pen. Anyways, I'm am pleased with the result.

I just recently purchased an aluminum Embassy pen from CountyComm and put a fine point black space pen refill in it. Extremely comfortable pen to write with.

--flatline

Monocrom

Flashaholic
To answer the original question:

I purchased several Zebra 401 pens and modified them (cut down the spring and enlarged the hole at the tip) to accommodate space pen refills. I would have preferred to do this to the Zebra 701 (I like the knurling), but there's a little rubber gasket at the tip that I can't play nicely with the space pen. Anyways, I'm am pleased with the result.

I just recently purchased an aluminum Embassy pen from CountyComm and put a fine point black space pen refill in it. Extremely comfortable pen to write with.

--flatline

I know folks who have cut off a piece of that rubber gasket, and have been able to use Fisher refills in their Zebra F701.

The details can be found at EDCforums.com

Many CPFers have accounts there as well. Very family-friendly.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry one of those Tec Innovations Pica Pens on my keychain... I like that I can just pull it off my keychain without having to twist or press buttons... Plus it's tiny and writes well enough... As far a full sized pens, I really liked my Benchmade, but ended up selling it as I couldn't really justify carrying around a pen I paid $80 for when I barely wrote with it. I've since switched to the amazing Botach Scorpion, which at $12.95 shipped has to be the best deal out there in "self-defense" pens...

CincyDawg

Newly Enlightened
Several years ago I discovered vintage fountain pens and quickly fell down that rabbit hole. My favorite is a Parker 51 vac with a wonderful stub nib that I found and restored.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry one of those Tec Innovations Pica Pens on my keychain... I like that I can just pull it off my keychain without having to twist or press buttons... Plus it's tiny and writes well enough... As far a full sized pens, I really liked my Benchmade, but ended up selling it as I couldn't really justify carrying around a pen I paid $80 for when I barely wrote with it. I've since switched to the amazing Botach Scorpion, which at $12.95 shipped has to be the best deal out there in "self-defense" pens...

I also carry the pico pen. Its small size makes it easy to always have it on me, but at the same time, it's so awkward to use that I only use it as a last resort (I almost always have at least one more reasonable pen on me). I've got a red space pen refill in it so it's useful for highlighting even when I've got another pen on me. I figure when I've got another pen, I'll only use it if I need non-black/blue, but when it's my only pen and I'm desperate, I won't care what color it is.

--flatline

Darksides

Newly Enlightened
Nothing like a good Ol Mont Blanc "le Grande"..For gentleman with big paws like me its a nice big pen. Pricey but the basic version is reasonable. Can a pen be comfortable?

chriscoobs

Newly Enlightened
inka-pen on my keychains work great for quick stuff.. aside from that cheap pens work for me.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased a maxmadco pen a couple of weeks ago, threw a blue finepoint space pen refill in it and am extremely happy with the result. It's not quite as comfortable for long periods of writing as the embassy pen is, but it's worth it to not have to keep up with the cap.

--flatline

Imon

Enlightened
I usually carry around a matte black Fischer Space Pen but some days when i'm feeling a bit adventurous I carry about my Lamy 2000 FP. :D

välineurheilija

Enlightened
At home i usually use a parker (i dont know the model but its a normal "clicky"ballpoint)and in my wallet i have the fischer spacepen bullet in blue.also i have a pen in the victorinox swisscard and victorinox Finlandia prime on my carkeys :)if you count them as pens?

N10

Newly Enlightened
personally i've used only Cross,parker, waterman fountain pens and a Caran d'ache ecridor ball point which i really liked...felt real smooth and good in the hands for some reason

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Pilot G2 Limited Edition in Silver as my main pen. (A nice cap-less roller ball.) Blue ink pen insert in my Victorinox SAK Compact model as my back-up pen. I use a Uniball vision micro rollerball at home, along with two different Parker Jotters. Jotter is a great EDC pen.