What is a "Larry Light"?

the_beast

Newly Enlightened
LowWorm said:
Hm...I started thinking what I could possibly ever offer Larry in exchange for one of his awesome lights, and I think I come up woefully short:

1) I have no beer (probably a deal-killer right there), but can make a mouth-watering lasagne or barbequed salmon should Larry ever pop onto my doorstep for dinner. I also make a mean bowl of cold cereal.

2) I can write him a humorous story starring a monkey, a Winnie-the-Pooh incandescent, and 24 slices of American cheese.

3) I can take him on a personalized tour of the Greater Utah area, starting with where I hit the chicken in Driver's Ed. and ending with the government proving grounds where I almost led 10 teenage girl campers to their deaths.

Larry, if any of these even sound remotely tempting, I've just spent 5 very rewarding minutes.

Monica

Dunno what Larry would say (unfortunately I have yet to have any dealing's with the man), but I'm interested in the monkey story...

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
JonSidneyB said:
The Best there is, the best there has ever been.

And Larry is a good guy Too.
coming from you, Jon, that's all I need to hear:)

LowWorm

Enlightened
I still can't believe Larry hasn't taken me, a total stranger, up on my offer...:shakehead.

Thank goodness I can now buy myself some L-Series happiness. Coming up with a story about a monkey and american cheese sounds like more work than it's worth.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Now I'm feeling soooo lonely & left out! I'm not even "family" (where's that cryin' graemlin?!)...well, I still don't have a McLux PD yet either!

We all have to have goals & dreams though, right?! :thumbsup:

(looking around here to see what I can sell to recycle funds...and you "think" I'm joking!)

Kiessling

Flashaholic
A LarryLight ... well ... I have the extreme honor of owning one, and I can say from the bottom of my black heart that it is the one light with the most attention to detail and perfection I have ever held in my hand. It must have been made by an incredibly anal guy! :nana:
It was also made by a man who managed to create a CPF legend, a myth, a whisper in the wind. Few can claim that honor.
bernie

LA OZ

Enlightened
After reading all these posts, I come to understand that these legendary lights often cannot be bought with money but rather with your heart. It does meant a great deal to those that managed to receive it. It is a token of appreciation by the man himself.

Last edited:

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
Wow, It's cool to know that there are still some things that people won't sell for money. I find it truly inspiring that this man Larry has made such an impact on the lives of his friends by way of his craftsmanship and generosity that those lucky enough to recieve his hand-crafted lights will not part with them.
Bravo, both to Larry and to the keepers ofhis lights. Bravo!

P.S.- What a great thread for kindling the holiday spirit. Reading stuff like this does my soul good. :)

Illum

Flashaholic
I know its an old thread, but reading the recent "Larry light CR2" custom thread made me look up Larry light

It was the original CR2 battery light that Larry made.
A symbol here of TOP notch quality and craftsmanship.

IMG_3433.sized.jpg

More phots here..
http://www.jtice.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=LarryCR2

~John

So the Muyshondt Aeon was in fact invented nearly four years ago?

greenLED

Flashaholic
Here's something I posted a while back (post #73 on this thread, which was originally located on CPF):

Well... this definitely wasn't my intention, and turned out to be quite an endeavour...
crazy.gif
Here's a list of my favorite threads referring to lights made by tvodrd (or with which he collaborated in, as is the case of the Li14430)

What is a "Larry Light"?
(some philosophical views, as well as straight answers)

The CR123 project:
Apr 2003: A small 123/LS light (Long/pics)

The CR2 project:

Apr. 2003:
A small CR2....(Long!!!)
Aug 2003: CR2 light revisited (long)
Mar 2004: CR2 from scratch LONG!
Jul 2004: The CR2 II (Long, Pics!)

The Li14430 project (DougS): (June 2004)
Dec 2003: Li-ion short circuit current Holy sh*t !!
Jun 2004: The Li14430: Lot's O'Lumens; Under 1 inch cubed!
Jun 2004: The Li14430 Project History/Timelime
Jun 2004: The Li14430 project: Li-ion cell safety testing
Jun 2004: The Li14430 light: the electrogeek aspects

Other projects, technical threads:
Oct 2003: Microcan for micro-converter, which was used in:
Nov 2003: The NLS
Mar 2004: Battery contacts
Apr 2004: Turning optics

Pics:
Oct 2004: The 2005 CPF wall calendar
May 2005: Let's see your CR lights

Auctions:
Aug 2004: CPF CR2 II Benefit Raffle- choice of material
Sep 2004: Brass CR2 II Auction
May 2003: CPF Benefit Raffle (or: "How JSB saw the light")
smile.gif

DougS, thanks for providing the electrogeek link. I found the "Holy sh*t!" thread (it was on the electronics section).
tvodrd, thanks for the link to the Aug'04 auction.

Unfortunately, Larry's original pics went south a while back for reasons I can't recall.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
After having thoroughly read this thread, i garnered a few facts:-

1. Larry lights (sorry but i dont know the names of the lights) are priceless;

2. Don't spill Heineken on them (i love that beer, Tiger too but i live in Singapore where Tiger is brewed);

3. Larry is a great guy (and THAT is a great compliment as i have found most all of you are great guys (and ladies) here on CPF);

beautiful looking light too

BVH

Flashaholic
Yea, it's just too bad that Larry isn't on more than he has been lately. He retired and moved and is probably very busy settling down.

carrot

Flashaholic
To answer the question, illum, Enrique's lights are in fact based on Larry's design. I hear he has Larry's blessing to do so, although they are by no means quite the same as Larry's.

clintb

Enlightened
Here's my "collection":
From L to R, a well used and abused NLS (I think that's what it's called) and then a pristine one, a heavy weight CR2 (tungsten), a Larry Head on a Arc (?) mod he made me do and then the Larry, DougS and Mike collaboration of the L14400 (?) but mine has a reflector and not optic. :eek:

Not sure if I named them right but for certain they are Larry Lights! :thumbsup: I had another L14400 ( A.K.A. "Analux" :crackup: ) but I gave it to a Major Weenie.
I'm drooling over that tungsten CR2. I'd give anything to have a small light made of tungsten. Well, not anything. :)

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
To answer the question, illum, Enrique's lights are in fact based on Larry's design. I hear he has Larry's blessing to do so, although they are by no means quite the same as Larry's.

I'm under the impression (based on PM to Larry a year or so ago) that there was no blessing given.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm under the impression (based on PM to Larry a year or so ago) that there was no blessing given.

Enrique always told me otherwise. :shrug:
I have heard varying info on this, but really this thread is not about that is it?
The man who made this light deserves a thread sans whom did what to whom posts?

What is a Larry Light? I have seen a few and the tungsten one was insane, for me it is a light that some, including myself, covet but will never have.:whistle:

Last edited: