What is your longest/farthest throwing light?

computernut

Enlightened
My Mag 3C with MagnumStar bulb throws like crazy. 2nd on the list is my E2L with it's TIR. My L1 Cree has a slightly bigger spot with a little less throw but it's not a huge difference. I like having lights with a good combination of flood/throw which is why I love my A2 outdoors.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Very impressive lights everyone! My longest throwing lights behind the laser which can be used for real purposes are my SunForce 25 million candlepower HID and my AmondoTech Titanium Mega Illuminator, also know as the Costco HID. It is true that the laser cannot be used to visibly illuminate an object for any practical purpose, but it is an amazing throw toy.

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
i too have the 25million cp SF from northerntool.is it normal to have brownish tints in the beam,on this light? it sure does throw a long way!!!!!!!!! before i got this light i bought the 40 mill. they had real floody light it was,but i sent it back it had a wedge shadow in the beam.

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
i too have the 25million cp SF from northerntool.is it normal to have brownish tints in the beam,on this light? it sure does throw a long way!!!!!!!!! before i got this light i bought the 40 mill. they had real floody light it was,but i sent it back it had a wedge shadow in the beam.

I believe my SunForce has that too, and it is perfectly okay. That is very interesting to hear that your 40MCP SunForce was a flooder and not a thrower; I have read two other reports stating the same thing about it.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Longest throwing lights in order from least to greatest:

6D Maglite halogen upgraded: 265+ yards - 250 lumens - run time: 2 hours
35 watt Oracle: 298 yards - 3,000 lumens - run time: 1 hour+
"stock" Bigbeam Powerhouse: 400 yards - 230 lumens - run time: 24 hours on high:D
--------------------------------
3D sleeper RayOvac: 616 yards - 900 lumens - run time: 15 minuets
"My EDC" Tiablo A9 Aspheric: 500+ yards - 225 lumens - run time: 2.5 hours
Hexagon Cardboard box light: 700+ yards - 1,250 lumens - run time: 12 minuets
--------------------------------
Little Yellow Laser Lantern: 875 yards - Only 50 lumens! - run time: 6 / 8? hours
The SUN: - 1,100+ yards - 5,500 lumens - run time: A solid tested 1 hour 20 minuets!
The CAN light: - 1,800? +/- yards - 29,000 lumens:faint: - run time: 20 minuets max
The Black Box: - more then Can light, max tested 1,300 yards easy - 5,000 lumens. - run time: 15 -25 minuets

These are all the ones I can think of right now, constant testing allows more accurate rage measurements by Google earth. The recently finished "The Black Box" holds my current title for farthest throwing light.

Every light in the first category I consider very good throwers, but also good flashlights. They can be used for a variety of jobs and are not limited for long range. The next category are purpose built throwers. Who are really unfit for any medium or short range task due to a lack of side spill and having a blinding hot spot. The last category is the unlimited high power lights, they are all to heavy / awkward / powerful for any normal use, however it is nearly impossible to find something they will not hit out on the horizon. The One exception is the unfinished L.Y.L.L. this light is extremely light weight and portable. However it is quite dull, for normal use.

Last edited:

CajunJosh

Newly Enlightened
My best would be the Maxabeam followed by my PH50

DSC02165.jpg

rhotondm

Newly Enlightened
Mine is a DBS R2 with an aspherical head. Looking forward to when they come out with some new drop ins to improve the throw a bit.

gsxrac

Enlightened
The first light I bought after joining CPF was an Olight M20. It is still my furthest throwing light and I have loaned it to a friend for the last couple months. He is enjoying it just as much as I did and actually killed 2 of my 18650's lol. I hope I can get them going again :candle:

Edit: After reading through the rest of the posts here I am feeling a little under gunned and I NEED an HID of some sort. Maybe I'll start out with a Stanley 3,000?

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Petrov45 HID. I can see roadsigns at 2Km.

Best guess puts the output at ~4000 Lumens.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a HA-III Aspheric lens on a Mag 2D running 3C batteries. The Q5 was driven at 750mA and that puppy really threw! Looked really good with a stainless steel bezel, UCL lens and the HA-III natural coating that I had specially done.

Alas, it was stolen! :O(

Now, my throw light is a Quark Turbo AA2, good light but... I'm looking at the SST-90 lights now, the Peak with a LiFePO4 10Ah M cell would be great. Do throw the shot gun way, blast 2,000 lumens and something will hit it. :)

enforcer

Newly Enlightened
My cheapo 1 million candle power rechargeable halogen lantern. Can see it from almost a mile off and is blinding.

Only lasts about 20 mins though.

Illum

Flashaholic
The bigger the reflector...or the deeper the reflector, the farther it will throw. it is not rocket science that the combination of the two will create a synergic effect of their own.

Mine is my FM Megalennium with WA1185 and proper focusing. Yikes!:duck:

I can almost hit clouds with it!

With this light, I don't need an HID!

the 1185 housed in a standard M6 head won't hit any clouds, I know because more than one occasion I've weathered the storm shooting photons on low clouds thinking I might receive a reflection:shakehead

I'm pretty sure reflectors like the Blitz should be able to reach there given adequate intensity in whatever light source it was modified to contain. :whistle:

Ilikeshinythings

Enlightened
Sadly enough my Streamlight Strion is my furthest throwing light. 150 lumens or so. I love that light but XMAS is just around the corner and I want to see stuff further away...

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bigger the reflector...or the deeper the reflector, the farther it will throw. it is not rocket science that the combination of the two will create a synergic effect of their own.

the 1185 housed in a standard M6 head won't hit any clouds, I know because more than one occasion I've weathered the storm shooting photons on low clouds thinking I might receive a reflection:shakehead

I'm pretty sure reflectors like the Blitz should be able to reach there given adequate intensity in whatever light source it was modified to contain. :whistle:

Surface brightness helps dramatically as well. With super high surface brightness you can have a decently sized reflector, but still have serious throw.

I also was thinking the same thing, The same Mag 1185 bulb and a Magnum star xenon 3D bulb will throw the exact same in the same Maglite head. In fact if the tungsten coil of the low output Magnum star is more condensed "it is" then the 1185's filament then the magnum star will have higher brightness and thus better throw in the same reflector. Seems strange but I've tested this theory and it works out to be true:thumbsup:.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really feeling undergunned with my TK40 now, but I do have a 50mW green laser pointer... got my cousin's attention while he was hiking a path about a mile away last summer: I did have to lean on a ramp and use binoculars to aim so he would see it

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine would be a former 6mcp searchlight with 35w hid kit. while it throws the most, it is big, heavy, and not too practical.
70mw green laser, throws very far, but not too practical either.
my favorite thrower is a p7 3d mag with FM deep reflector. followed by 4c mag with malkoff p7 drop in, and solarforce l900.

Latest posts