What kind of photographer are you?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
In the pre digital 1970's I shot lots of 1:1 macro shots, usually on Kodachrome 64. Now the lens is a Canon 100mm macro on a Canon Rebel XSi, normally shooting at ISO200. The majority of my shots run around 1 second at F/11 so noise isn't a problem. Even longer exposures like 76 seconds for trit vials come out with no noticeable noise. Really long exposures are where the issues crop up.

Thank goodness for PhotoShop :)

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long Exposures - the heat produced by a sensor creates dark noise. The longer the exposure, the more heat is produced, creating more dark noise.

I took a bunch of pictures of a lightning storm a few years back. I wanted to capture the lightning bolt with my digital camera. ( this was before I realized the was a long exposure setting on the camera ) The setup was simple, keep the shutter open for around 2 - 3 minutes. If there was a lightning bolt, start a new frame. There was a certain amount of ambient light and the sky, instead of being completely black had a gray speckled look to it.

ltg01.jpg

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can we please try to keep the thread on topic?

The thread is about photographer stereotypes and not photography technique.

siginu

Newly Enlightened
Wanna-be gear hound (that's how I voted anyway) on a P&S budget, by body is a little older and I have lens envy...

bayboy

Newly Enlightened
I guess I would have to say artist but I do have DSLRs. I have a DSLR that I modified to only take IR photos. I shoot some 120 film. My big thing is macro photography (I like bugs).

yurbo

Newly Enlightened
me and my camera are not in the list no dslr, nor retro also i have enough knowledge. i love my canon S90. It is compact you can carry in your pocket, also you can adjust parameters as you want.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose I might be a combination of Artist and Purist, though none of the stereotypes actually have a photographer who really focuses on photography rather than the equipment.

Considering I chose my last camera based on its fully manual capability (the Lumix LX5) so I could take photographs of torches and their beams could introduce another category of 'Flashaholic Photographer'.

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok... I read through the choices and I honestly can't say I fit any of the descriptions. Yes, my camera is pink... and yes, that is why I bought it. BUT!!!... it's a pink Sony NEX-C3... and I wouldn't be caught DEAD posting pics of "hot friends" on Facebook unless they are my derby girls... and the only "clubbing" they are doing is to each other.... ;) My nail polish is usually black and I wear lip-gloss not lip-stick. I LOVE B&W photography... but leave the IR to my husband (he particularly enjoys taking pictures of my hair so he can show me how white it is under the color I get put on it every 4 weeks :ironic: ). My FB albums have such titles as "Amateur B&W", "Flora", "Fawna", "Sunrises, Sunsets, Skies, Water", "Kayaking", "Road Trips", and "The Babies". I'm a purist in that I do not believe in "shopping" my photos with the exception of cropping, straightening, and adjusting shadows or highlights just a tad. My theory is that you either get the shot or your don't. Most photos that I post in my Facebook albums are straight off the camera with no editing. I had only one lens up until a few days ago... my wonderful husband bought me a 55-210mm, f4.5-6.3 for Christmas and it is the best gift EVER! :santa:

So... what am I? :shrug:

jgbedford

Newly Enlightened
Hard core Canon user here.

7D body, 70-200, 28-70 and hopefully the new Canon 100 IS macro. 580 exII flash and a whack of filters.

On the lookout for a carbon tripod and best rechargeable batteries for my flash.

Cheers!

JB

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok... I read through the choices and I honestly can't say I fit any of the descriptions. Yes, my camera is pink... and yes, that is why I bought it. BUT!!!... it's a pink Sony NEX-C3... and I wouldn't be caught DEAD posting pics of "hot friends" on Facebook unless they are my derby girls... and the only "clubbing" they are doing is to each other.... ;) My nail polish is usually black and I wear lip-gloss not lip-stick. I LOVE B&W photography... but leave the IR to my husband (he particularly enjoys taking pictures of my hair so he can show me how white it is under the color I get put on it every 4 weeks :ironic: ). My FB albums have such titles as "Amateur B&W", "Flora", "Fawna", "Sunrises, Sunsets, Skies, Water", "Kayaking", "Road Trips", and "The Babies". I'm a purist in that I do not believe in "shopping" my photos with the exception of cropping, straightening, and adjusting shadows or highlights just a tad. My theory is that you either get the shot or your don't. Most photos that I post in my Facebook albums are straight off the camera with no editing. I had only one lens up until a few days ago... my wonderful husband bought me a 55-210mm, f4.5-6.3 for Christmas and it is the best gift EVER! :santa:

So... what am I? :shrug:

Hmm.. difficult to place you
The NEX-C3 is actually has quite a good image sensor, comparable to a decent APS-C DSLR (despite being pink) so I think this rules out "girly girl". Also, girly girls (and girly boys) would not understand the concept of interchangeable lenses. I think B&W and Skies (I'm guessing cloud formations) would place you in the artist category. Shooting IR with a digital camera requires the removal of the IR cut filter so you would need a separate camera for shooting IR.

The NEX system has 2 high quality primes coming out soon which would be ideal for the artist/purist type; the 50mm f1.8 OSS and the Zeiss 24mm f1.8.

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the lookout for a carbon tripod and best rechargeable batteries for my flash.
JB

Eneloops are definitely the way to go. They are ideal for flash guns as they will hold their charge for long periods of time ensuring that your flash is always ready to go. Make sure to use a decent charger and don't let them run down too low.
For ultimate capacity, go for the powerex 2700's.

I use energizer lithiums (non-rechargeable) as I don't use the flash that much. The battery life is surprisingly good.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
hopefully the new Canon 100 IS macro
The 100 Canon macro is a killer sharp lens. Mine is non-IS but never gets used without a tripod (and a lens plate) and the body is always set for mirror lock up.

Like Greta, I didn't fall into any of the available categories. Most images are shot around 90% of desired size so there's room for just a little cropping, and apertures from f/16-f/22 see the most use. Haven't used a flash for years & haven't much missed it.

Many of my images show small details like the 1.5x5mm trit in the photo below:

db921b66.jpg

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
[Crabby and discourteous post removed - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You forgot an option: Smartphone photographer. You use your iPhone or Android to take photos, 99% of which get uploaded to some sort of social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). You use the myriad of photography apps to muck about with your shots; some of which turn out great, most of which are rubbish.

That'd be me :)

Halfpint

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmmmm... I dunno... I guess I'd be a `Gear Hound'?

I got my start back in the late '50s when my father passed on an old KODAK 35mm viewfinder. Then in the '60s I stumbled across the PENTAX Spotmatic w/42mm threaded lenses. After many years of dealing with threaded lenses I decided that maybe it was time to get a bit more `modern' and picked up a K1000 with the bayonet mount lenses. After getting used those it was onward and upward to an MX `system' eventually culminating with an LX `system'. I continued using both my MXs & LXs whilst dabbling with assorted Sony `Digitals', and after my father's `passing', a MINOX IIIs `system' (Pretty much complete with even the enlarger and tanks.).

Recently I have acquired a PENTAX Kr and a pair of K5s along with a small selection of the new `auto' lenses. One of the reasons, besides the disappearance of good old KODACHROME, I went and bought the new PENTAXes was that, with only a very few exceptions, I can still use pretty much all of my lenses I'd acquired for my film cameras. (For those who may wonder about my getting the Kr and then the K5s... I managed to score the Kr as a 2 lens `package' for almost half the cost of the body alone from a local shop that was basically wanting to get it out of their inventory. I'd already pretty much settled upon the K5s but figured that the Kr would be a good `first real camera' for my teenaged son to learn with. [No! I *didn't* let him `play' with my MXs & LXs! And, yes, I am probably a `mean old codger' for doing so! Even today *those* are still `my babies'.])

I dabble in landscapes, the occasional `portraits', of course `family' pictures, and assorted `macro' photographs. The most recent things I've been doing have been cataloging my wife's and I's antique glass and assorted coin collections. Of the two the glass photography has been the most interesting to do in that my wife collects Royale Ruby and Cobalt glass and I generally collect clear glass, mainly `salts'. I am still contemplating doing both pictures and beamshots of my flashlight collection but, haven't managed to "Get A Round Tuit".

Bevis

Newly Enlightened
I am like a girly girl photographer. I love to capture pics but i dont have a good professional camera.