What kind of photographer are you?

Vinniec5

Enlightened
I'm a gear hound/artist if I had to choose. I like good equipment and do like tech, so I don't mind being a gear hound. My first real camera was a Maxxum 7000 and had a few lenses dropped out of the camera gear race till the Sony A100 came out and all my Minolta lenses fit so I stayed with Sony(always like sony electronics and their cameras/video equipment are top notch). Sold my older Minolta gear and Sony A100 and picked up a Sony A580/18-250 Sony lens and 56AM flash and haven't looked back the A580 takes HD video so i picked up the Sony Stereo Mic and about a month ago found a nearly new Sony Reflex 500mm F8 lens that I've always wanted since Minolta started making them in the late 80's. It's basically a 500mm mirror telescope compact camera lens that is actually 750mm on DSLR's. now with just 2 lenses I'm better covered that with 5-6 lenses and a film camera not to mention being able to take thousands of pictures with just a couple of memory cards to carry

Last edited:

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Personally, I'm floating somewhere between artist and gear hound. If there were a category "strobist", I'd pick that, even though only a limited area of my photography is done with flashes, I love making intricate flash setups. I think it also sparked my flashaholism ;)

jaycyu

Enlightened
Closest I am is gear hound.
I have a 5D II, and like Nyx I slaved for many month to repay the debt.
I shoot IR, but spend more time "looking at cameras on the internet than taking pictures."
I stuck with the purist doctrine as long as I could. Now I have 3 lenses.
And lastly, I have no friends.

You should start your own fortune cookie factory.

Smeghead

Newly Enlightened
From that list, I suppose the closest fit for me would be artist. I actually did use a film camera on a recent holiday to New York. I liked the whole experience of it. If I were using a digital camera, I know I would've been completely obsessed with getting perfect shots, retaking and just holding people up. With the film camera, I took one or two shots, and moved on. If it didn't come out right, then tough s---, it's my own fault. Film also looks fantastic, and digital still has a long way to go in my opinion to equal that special feel film has.

It's far too expensive though. £40 for about 9 rolls of film, and then it cost me another £40 to have them developed and scanned.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lol. What weird sort of animal does "Leica owner" imply that none of the other choices do??

..and what sort of owner of Wetzlar glass wouldn't specify his/her model?

What if you're a Leica AND a Nikon owner?

M3.....F2

Do light meters count?

blub

Enlightened
None of the above, started as gear hound, now I have everything I need, pretty much know how to use it and try to use it a lot.

Last edited:

sniper

Enlightened
Dunno perzactly what kind of photog I are.

I consider myself an enthusiastic hobbiest, with 50 years' experience. I did film and manual metering for years, because that's all there was. I LOVE digital, as confusing as it is. My cameras are both older-generation 6 & 12 MP Digital SLRS, and I have a collection of AF lenses, some of which have been with me for 15-20 years, and work fine on my cameras, some newer ones, too, a couple of tripods, and a flash. Lots of cords, bags, remote releases, lens hoods, batteries and chargers, and one lonely flash bracket.
I think we make photography harder than it needs to be. Photographers PHOTOGRAPH...they don't spend endless hours drinking tea, discussing things like the whichness of what, diffraction and bokeh (Sounds like a cat hacking up a hairball, doesn't it?) and other interesting but ultimately non-relevant "issues" in the real world.

Maybe Curmudgeon Photographer should have been a category?

I was a photographer in the Air Force, a reporter/photog for a large daily newspaper, taught a photo fundamentals class for a year while doing graduate work. I have won awards for my photography, and enjoy the Merrie Aitch out of it.

It is a magical pastime! 'Nuff said!

Last edited:

1nterceptor

Newly Enlightened
I have three cameras and I consider myself a recreational photographer.
I have a Nikon COOLPIX P100 bridge camera, a compact point and shoot
FUJIFILM XP50 and a ContourGPS sports camera. I'm using the FUJI most
of the time on my trips/vacations because of it's convenient size. I also
use the Contour and FUJI for cycling events/trips I go to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLz8uakmkWc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopSW5T843s

CampingLED

Enlightened
Haha, I was at a gymnastics event and photographed the few hundred kids on various apparatus. We were 4 photographers who took photos that were displayed and sold as prints. My shutter count for two days were 3700+.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha, I was at a gymnastics event and photographed the few hundred kids on various apparatus. We were 4 photographers who took photos that were displayed and sold as prints. My shutter count for two days were 3700+.
It's not hard to do shooting events.
i spent 10 hours at a music festival and came out with 1600 photos - maybe half of the crowd, and the other half or the bands - around a photo every twenty seconds is easy to do without motoring off long "spray and pray" type bursts
a day at the racetrack is good for around 2000 pics, and that's being gentle on the shutter button too.

Spraying and praying as a photographic technique sucks, it causes unneccasary wear on your camera, causes you to spend more time behind the computer, and fills up your storage media quicker.
it can also cause you to miss deadlines (which is never a good thing)

CampingLED

Enlightened
Agree with you Echo63. At the gymnastics I even limited my continuous shutter speed to 6 fps on the camera settings and not full speed. At full speed I often get two pics if I wanted to take only one. On Wednesday I am going to shoot vultures at a hide and will probably shoot at 12 fps when they come in to land. It was also nice to take 120 photos in a few seconds when they imploded a building in our city a few weeks ago.

camit34

Newly Enlightened
I voted gear hound but not for the items mentioned in the description. I'm a very mechanical thinker and thus really enjoy things that are solidly built and have that quality fit and finish, partly the reason I fell for the Fuji X-E1 and partly the reason I feel I take "ehh" photos even though I thoroughly understand the photo taking process - aperture, ISO, focal length, shutter speed and so on and how one effects the other but I just don't seem to have that "artsy" eye to catch the photo the way I truly want to.

wedlpine

Enlightened
Definetly a gear hound. Have more then 100 lenses for my 2 dozen plus slr's and dslr's. Most of my lenses are Minolta Rokkor. Have every focal length Minolta made from the 7.5mm circular fisheye to the 400mm. Also have numerous P&S cameras. My last strictly photography trip was in November of 2005 when I went to Cape Churchill in Manitoba to photograph the polar bears. Great trip, I highly recommend it.

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
what kind of photographer am I? A somewhat jealous one. :)

I mostly take pics of family, a lot of shots of aircraft, and other assorted photos. Perhaps I just need to take some classes, especially for Photoshop, because I'm really impressed by some stuff I see on Flickr! These guys do it professionally, and as such, have opportunities to be in places that allow them to get a great shot. But still, they do a great job of processing the shot and I'd love to know what they've done to achieve the final results.