What light made you a flashaholic?

Arkiv N

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Maglite 4D LED about seven mounths ago, the Maglite really got me intrested in quality flashlights. Dreaming about getting a Surefire E2DL someday.

sappyg

Enlightened
back in the day i did'nt think there were any other flashlights but m@glites. i never really was interested in them. i mean... a light is a light right?........ until i stumbled in here looking, some months gone by now, for information. about that same time i bought a g2 and was absolutely floored by it.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
back in the day i did'nt think there were any other flashlights but m@glites. i never really was interested in them. i mean... a light is a light right?........ until i stumbled in here looking, some months gone by now, for information. about that same time i bought a g2 and was absolutely floored by it.
+1, This was sort of my experience. Kicked around the occasional mini-maglite for years (especially for outside chores in AK winter), but the poor performance and lack of reliability (fragile/shortlifetime bulb and inconsistent head contacts) resulted in pretty much ho-hum emotions. Only when I ran into the substantial quality of SF LED's ~1.5 years ago did I finally get a sustaining interest.

AMRaider

Enlightened
Would you believe I was a beta tester? No. As my uncle with ahlzheimers once said, "Who cares what year it is?". You caught me. I missed it by one lousy year. I said "about 1983". Give me a break. Half this board was not even born in 1983. :) Those young wipper snappers don't know how good they have it now. You might even be one of them. So, GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

I apologize, sir. My only intent was to provide correct and accurate information, not to get under your skin. I should have written my reply with a bit more tact. Again, I'm sorry. :candle:

Last edited:

The Light!

Newly Enlightened
The light that made me love flashlights was an old 1900?s rear car lantern running on 2 AA batteries that I found at my grandmother's house in England when I was 4-5yrs old. It put out a nice red light, and I used to play with it all the time when I was over there. Unfortunately, my parents wouldn't let me take it back to Aus because it wouldnt fit in the suitcase... :mecry:

I hold it against them to this day!

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the mighty Photon II got me into flashlights, but it was the Arc LSH-P that made me a flashaholic:crazy:

lukestephens777

Enlightened
I remember as a kid, dad came home with a Arlec MyLite 2AA, and from the moment i saw it i needed one too.. He got me one and my addiction has been getting steadily worse each year... :whistle:

Tec40

Newly Enlightened
I got a Streamlight Scorpion at Bass Pro Shop,took it out of the package and---WOW!!! That's what got me me hooked. That was in early 2003. Flashlights have come a long way in 5 years.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
MiniMag, then Streamlight's two AA version that you could charge up using a tailcap that plugged into a little standup charger. Thinking about it more, it was probably my first full sized mag, many years ago.

Bill

dtsoll

Enlightened
It was an Arc LSH-P, I remember shelling out 130 dollars for it and being like shellshocked for a week or so after getting it and realizing how much I had spent on it. After a week of having it I was caught up, hook, line and sinker to the world of flashaholism. I couldn't even tell you how many Arc LS's I bought and sold and had modded after that one fateful encounter. That was quite a few years ago now and I'm still at it. Doug:) My love for flashlights actually began as a young lad with a cheapo single AA incandescent but full blown addiction never kicked in until the LSH-P.

ozner1991

Enlightened
10 years ago when i was 7 i got my first "good" flashlight an red 2d maglite. i still have it and it made me want better quality ones instead of the cheapos i bought before i had that mag

22hornet

Enlightened
In 1991: My Maglite Solitaire and, shortly afterwards, the Maglite 6C.
I remember the 6C had an awesome output and really threw very far. It was a light that impressed onlookers.
I still have and use both.

Kind regards,
Joris

iapyx

Enlightened
What made me a flashaholic?
100 posts :)

More seriously: I've stayed in Boston for some time around 2000 and discovered that the maglights were so much cheaper than overhere in the NL. Got myself a mag3D and a magcharger. I didn't consider myself a flashaholic then. Then around two years ago I saw a website where I ordered a Surefire L2. One day after the order I changed it into a U2 (very wise decision imho). Shortly after, January 2007, I became a member of CPF. That moment one could say made me a flashaholic. I started reading, modding, buying reflectors for my mags D, bulbs, li-ion batteries, build my own Mag85 and then a Mag5761. For now it's been quiet for half a year as I am waiting for SF's UA2/UB2. Wallet closed :)

edit: bought my magcharger in the NL around 1998/1999 which lead all they way to flashaholism

Last edited:

BravoFoxtrot

Newly Enlightened
I posted a month or so about which Surefire to get. I figured it was time for a premium flashlight for outdoor use and EDC. I started reading post after post and next thing you know I have 4 new torches. In the last month I went from cheapo flashlight to being a proud owner of an E1B, E2L, E2DL, and a Fenix LD01. I didn't anticipate the allure of quality lights.