WHAT THE %$#@ (Pic Heavy)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
First off they were surefire cells, second it was not bought from someone who used rit because I myself did.... I left it out over night to dry....:shrug: but that was three weeks ago!

Hmm there might be something there... I am not sure how long a G2 needs to dry out after dye-ing, but I would guess a hairdryer and some extended time in the warm sun wouldn't hurt.

Anyone know how Primaries respond in a high moisture environment? I could see a scenario where the cells vented/reacted gradually to the increased moisture trapped inside the light. Or the moisture by itself slowly causing rust and corrosion. I am not sure what the chemical composition of RIT dye is, but perhaps theres something in it that reacted with the cell chemistry?

RIT DYE has an MSDS document on their www site but the link is broken.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
you do know that moisture reacts with lithium? right.
but that would mean also that a battery was unsealed.
if that was the case, i shure would want to check the batts, before i shoved them in something else at least.

i think you could not leave out the IDEA that a battery could be a problem with that kind of corrosion, unless you were using lye or sulferic acids :) which both of them could look DRY, but they would pull water IN and become active once the water hit it again.
(that was not proper chemistry , but the idea is the same)

it is possible to have a small slow leaking of gas/solvent out of these Li type of batteries, and it smells corrosive :) just the vapors, dont know if it is.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious... is it one of the G2s being sold that have been RIT dyed? Water can collect between the nitrolon and metal body sleeve during the dye process. It needs to be thoroughly dried out before being put back into service.

If there's trapped moisture in there... its hard to say what it would do to the cells.
Still, water shouldn't do that to brass.

Niconical

Enlightened
All this talk about the death of a flashlight is depressing. :(

Let's cheer things up :party:

Cosmo7809, Christmas is just around the corner, so if Surefire don't warranty it, let me know, and I'll send you a new and unopened G2 :)

Pm on the way.....

Illum

Flashaholic
you do know that moisture reacts with lithium? right.
but that would mean also that a battery was unsealed.
if that was the case, i shure would want to check the batts, before i shoved them in something else at least.

i think you could not leave out the IDEA that a battery could be a problem with that kind of corrosion, unless you were using lye or sulferic acids :) which both of them could look DRY, but they would pull water IN and become active once the water hit it again.
(that was not proper chemistry , but the idea is the same)

it is possible to have a small slow leaking of gas/solvent out of these Li type of batteries, and it smells corrosive :) just the vapors, dont know if it is.

well, that is certainly possible.
Primaries are designed to vent if necessary at around 15 psi. the cell may have safely vented and filled the flashlight body with whatever gaseous byproduct and that in term reacted with whatever that was inside the body before the venting: water vapor, reactive lube...:poke:

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could the OP clear up a couple things?

- Was the host rit dyed? -sounds like it was
- Assuming it was...
- What was in the dye and/or in the water?
- Has the light been used since it was dyed, and how much?

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire SF123A batteries are LiMnO2 Lithium Manganese Dioxide.

It seems to make sense explore the impact modifying the G2 with aftermarket dye had and whether this caused or contributed to the failure. It looks that way so far.

I know from experience that flashlights take far longer to dry out then I expected. I would advocate slow, gentle drying for at least a week depending on how low the humidity is. I've had one SureFire disassembled for two weeks in the airing cupboard (warmest, driest place in the house) to get rid of a window-misting issue.

Modifying a SureFire product, using an aftermarket LED drop-in... Doesn't seem too promising that SureFire will warranty it but you can but call 'em and ask I guess.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
This is interesting... so we have:
-Sealed volume of air provided by the G2
-Brass + Aluminum from the DX module
-Water vapor (potentially)
-RIT dye (potentially)
-Periodic current draw from the cells as the light was used
-3 Weeks of fermentation (for lack of a better term)

What does surefire use to plate the inner metal sleeve of the G2?

Like Al... I have found it takes a surprisingly long time to completely dry a flashlight that has been exposed to water.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Could the OP clear up a couple things?

- Was the host rit dyed? -sounds like it was
- Assuming it was...
- What was in the dye and/or in the water?
- Has the light been used since it was dyed, and how much?

Yes it was dyed about 3... 4 weeks ago, I let the G2 dry for a good 24 hours and then made it dry more, not used too too much. Just here and there.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Guess what element is in the electrolyte.

Just a remark about a repeated posting style:
A bit less attitude and a generally more friendly approach to a conversation with fellow flashaholics would be appreciated.

bernhard

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Should that count when we are talking to size15?

He speaks to CPF'ers with all the grace and care of a sledgehammer, can we not match him?
:crackup:
Just kidding by the way!

Last edited: