WHAT THE %$#@ (Pic Heavy)

mdocod

Flashaholic
It's like, CSI for flashlights. This thread is very informative so far, hopefully we can develop some conclusive idea as to what caused this.

I'm very much in favor of blaming water, in conjunction with the lithium cells, in conjunction with a few coincidences that may not be easy to re-produce.

--------------------

Cheers to Niconical's offering!!!
I've received some gifts from him already, definitely one of the most generous CPFers I know :)

Eric

signal 13

Enlightened
All this talk about the death of a flashlight is depressing. :(

Let's cheer things up :party:

Cosmo7809, Christmas is just around the corner, so if Surefire don't warranty it, let me know, and I'll send you a new and unopened G2 :)

Pm on the way.....

WOW! What a deal! If anything ever happens to one of my M3s, M3Ts, or M4s, I'll be sure to let Niconical know!

But seriously, a very generous offer. Good to know such people/CPFers, exist out there!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You said that the batteries were ok, no obvious damage to them. What is the voltage of the cells now? Were the Surefire cells checked for voltage prior to putting them in the light? Looks like the R2 drop in shorted out somehow.

Bill

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cosmo7809, Christmas is just around the corner, so if Surefire don't warranty it, let me know, and I'll send you a new and unopened G2 :)

Pm on the way.....

That is a great offer, and a very kind one. Truly the spirit of the festive season is amongst us.

What a gentleman!

Be lucky...

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
I want to make this post in a thank you for Niconical. He is such a great guy and more people should be like him! I cannot thank him more for his kindness. Thank you Nick and have a Merry merry Christmas!!!!

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
RIT dye suggests adding salt to the dye solution. I am not sure what concentration of RIT dye was used here. If there was salt, that is the reaction I would expect to see between brass and aluminum. There may even be salt in the RIT dye itself.

Whenever I use any solution on anything electronic, I rinse with plain water for quite some time to remove any residual solution. The next step I use is to blow off the part with compressed air. This will drive the remaining solution out from between small spaces on the part.

To be really sure, I will rinse again and blow out the part a second time.

Think of a threaded part, the water that gets between the male and female parts will not air dry, It needs some help. Forced air will drive some of that moisture out. A second method is to use low heat. Parts placed in an oven at 110 degrees will speed the drying process.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the result of residual moisture and a chemical reaction between the brass and the aluminum.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
RIT dye suggests adding salt to the dye solution. I am not sure what concentration of RIT dye was used here. If there was salt, that is the reaction I would expect to see between brass and aluminum. There may even be salt in the RIT dye itself.

Whenever I use any solution on anything electronic, I rinse with plain water for quite some time to remove any residual solution. The next step I use is to blow off the part with compressed air. This will drive the remaining solution out from between small spaces on the part.

To be really sure, I will rinse again and blow out the part a second time.

Think of a threaded part, the water that gets between the male and female parts will not air dry, It needs some help. Forced air will drive some of that moisture out. A second method is to use low heat. Parts placed in an oven at 110 degrees will speed the drying process.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the result of residual moisture and a chemical reaction between the brass and the aluminum.

Aaah... Not sure what the salt content of RIT dye is, but I have seen it recommended as an additive to the dye solution to help the dye set more permanently into the plastics.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Guess what element is in the electrolyte.
Nice try :grin2:
The element within the electrolyte is different from the cell chemistry.
Whether or not the electrolyte used by SF123A batteries contains Chlorine is different to SF123A batteries being Lithium Thionyl Chloride; which they are not.

Should that count when we are talking to size15?
He speaks to CPF'ers with all the grace and care of a sledgehammer, can we not match him?
:crackup:
Just kidding by the way!
It's the way I am with everybody; don't want CPF'ers thinking they get special treatment. :green:

hopkins

Enlightened
1.Vinegar and an old toothbrush should be able to clean it all up. (acidic)
Rinse well with water before next step.

2. A water and baking soda solution brushing (basic) after the vinegar scrub
will neutralize any acid left, rinse well with distilled water. Dry with a fan and it'll
shine like new but have some pits.

Taboot

Enlightened
It's like, CSI for flashlights. This thread is very informative so far, hopefully we can develop some conclusive idea as to what caused this.

I'm very much in favor of blaming water, in conjunction with the lithium cells, in conjunction with a few coincidences that may not be easy to re-produce.

--------------------

Cheers to Niconical's offering!!!
I've received some gifts from him already, definitely one of the most generous CPFers I know :)

Eric

Haha! I was thinking it was like a House, MD episode!

Man, it looks just like an Alkaline battery issue I had that killed my 6D Mag. Clearly, it's not though.....

Paul520

Newly Enlightened
That's what my leaked m@gcharger looked like. Very corrosive stuff. (whatever is it)

t99y4k.jpg

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a lot of these brass/aluminum drop ins and have never seen aything like that. There must have been some kind of moisture in the light. It may well have been water and dye left on the threads, etc. If it was only left to sit around for 24 hours it was most likely still damp. Once the light was assembled it was probably pretty humid inside the body after awhile. :)

Also were the batteries the same voltage? Couldn't sticking a near dead cell and a fresh cell in a 2 cell light cause venting?

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2 body has a metal sleeve press-fit inside it - a moisture trap no doubt. Even if it was removed for the dying process, putting it back in before the body was fully dry would not have helped.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, guys. I think I know the problem here. I just checked my two G2's. Both were RIT dyed by me that night when we were all excited about doing that. I let both of mine dry for about 36 hours, maybe a little less. I have not taken them apart since I finished reassembling them a couple of months ago (or so). I just took them apart right now. Both have the SF123 cells in them. One has a P60, the other a P61 LA. Both LA's have the same corrosion on the outside of the LA's. Both are not as serious as the OP'er. The P60 is a bit worse than the P61 for whatever reason. The G2+P61 has a SF shock-isolated tactical bezel on it, whereas the G2+P60 had the stock bezel. I'm thinking the P61 didn't get affected as much because of not being exposed to as much moisture due to it being surrounded by the aluminum bezel. The P60 clearly had more exposure to moisture from the G2 bezel. My cells are fine.

Definitely let dyed G2's dry out A LOT longer than a day or two before reassembling them.

Sorry about no pics. No way to post them.

Last edited:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Ok, guys. I think I know the problem here. I just checked my two G2's. Both were RIT dyed by me that night when we were all excited about doing that. I let both of mine dry for about 36 hours, maybe a little less. I have not taken them apart since I finished reassembling them a couple of months ago (or so). I just took them apart right now. Both have the SF123 cells in them. One has a P60, the other a P61 LA. Both LA's have the same corrosion on the outside of the LA's. Both are not as serious as the OP'er. The P60 is a bit worse than the P61 for whatever reason. The G2+P61 has a SF shock-isolated tactical bezel on it, whereas the G2+P60 had the stock bezel. I'm thinking the P61 didn't get affected as much because of not being exposed to as much moisture due to it being surrounded by the aluminum bezel. The P60 clearly had more exposure to moisture from the G2 bezel. My cells are fine.

Definitely let dyed G2's dry out A LOT longer than a day or two before reassembling them.

Sorry about no pics. No way to post them.
Ummm interesting....