What to do with older Maglites: 4D and 2C?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always thought about wrapping the entire number of cells in shrink wrap, a small hole at either end for conductivity, would this make any difference?
John.
Probably not. Even if you sealed the seam on the shrink wrap, you would still have two holes, one at each end. From the pattern left when some alkalines failed in my EA4, the leakage will flow wherever it can. It will find at least one of the holes, and if there is any out gassing associated with the leak, that will make sure that some makes it outside the wrap. Just avoid the hassle and use Eneloops or lithium primaries. One can find three AA to C adapters that would cut down on the expenses of using Eneloops considerably while still giving a decent run time.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably not. Even if you sealed the seam on the shrink wrap, you would still have two holes, one at each end. From the pattern left when some alkalines failed in my EA4, the leakage will flow wherever it can. It will find at least one of the holes, and if there is any out gassing associated with the leak, that will make sure that some makes it outside the wrap. Just avoid the hassle and use Eneloops or lithium primaries. One can find three AA to C adapters that would cut down on the expenses of using Eneloops considerably while still giving a decent run time.

You can get 3xaa to D adaptors but not for C's. Maybe 2xaaa. Personally I've never really cared for this idea though as nickel based cells really shouldn't be run in parallel. Centura c and d nimhs are very good though as are imedions and will give much longer runtime and nice flat discharge curve

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
2C M*g asking for 2x18650 system running many different type of bulb from low output to higher.
This kit will run with 3 protected 26650 cells in 4D M*g.
It is also possible to use with any D26 or D36 drop in either LED or incand as long as voltage matches.
Genuine P60 incand will work fine and run long using 4 NiMH (4.8V) D cells. (Whiter and brighter)
Some LED modules will work with 3.7~6 volts which is within range of 4 NiMH D cells.

PsIlMOb.jpg

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does one out d26 and d36 modules in a mag head?
D26 will barely fit without extender but D36 will need head extender. (Comes with kit)
Kit also includes center positive and brass negative contacts. Pressure of D26 or D36 springs will hold lamp module in place.