• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What's new on the McGizmo horizon?

hel

Newly Enlightened
I would like Don to produce a small Ti right angle headed light similar to a Streamlight Survivor. You could clip it to your pocket for hands free use.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Since we're wishing: 1 cell Ti light, twisty UI, infinitely variable from 0.001 to 1000 lms, I wanna run it on Eneloops, and I'd like to keep it <$300. Think crazy amped up AA Titan....
Hey, we can dream, right? :hahaha:

Well, the Peak Mach 3 was maybe not too far off ? (although it is no McGizmo....)

1 cell - check,
titanium - check,
twisty - check,
infinitely variable - (if you add a QTC) check,
0.001 to 1000 lumen - sorry, due to limitations of reality (though 0.001 to 1850 candlepower, on a 14500, check),
AA Eneloopable - check (or lithium primary, or 14500, etc),
less than $300 - check ($129.95 on release),

currently in production - hmmm, I don't think so?

:grin2:

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we're wishing: 1 cell Ti light, twisty UI, infinitely variable from 0.001 to 1000 lms, I wanna run it on Eneloops, and I'd like to keep it <$300. Think crazy amped up AA Titan....

That's wonderful !

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about 1xAA McClicky pack + (0.9 ~ 4.2 V) LE that can be fit in mule/haiku/sundrop/or else...

Another thought on 1 xAA McClicky pak.
How about 1 x 17500 pak that can also be used as 1 X AA pak with inner plastic sleeve or else, upto user's choice.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just missed (not really because I did not have any money anyway) another LS20 on the market place. I would love to see a new take on the LS20, if it came with an AA McClicky then I think everybody would be happy.

I'd be up for that too. 0.9-4.2V drivers would be great.

bmcgators98

Enlightened
I was thinking about this thread this morning. With start of 2012 maybe we will see a new model.

Specific details aside, I think that there is a little bit of a gap in the line up. I would like to see a light that bridges the gap between the Sapphire and the Haiku. Brighter than the Sapphire with maybe two speeds but smaller than the Haiku. The light would need to include great runtimes, high CRI floody beam, and the ability to tail stand. That light would make me a very happy camper.

fyrstormer

Banned
Aside from the "smaller than a Haiku" requirement, basically you just asked for a Haiku Hi-CRI, which already exists.

That being said, I would find it hard to object to newer drivers that can support running on a single AA, a 1xAA battery tube, and a titanium Aleph 2 head. There isn't any reason an updated A2 head couldn't be designed to use dual O-rings to hold the reflector and lense, similar to the design of the LS20 head.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
I would still like to see a higher power McGizmo light (2A+) powering an XML maybe with a 45mm reflector.
The Makai 6v XM-L (38mm reflector) is the nearest thing to that, but its power levels are very conservative for the XM-L. I'd like to see the XM-L pushed harder in a bombproof brute-of-a-light like the original HD45. A McGizmo Ti S&R light.

Last edited:

bmcgators98

Enlightened
Aside from the "smaller than a Haiku" requirement, basically you just asked for a Haiku Hi-CRI, which already exists.

Well the smaller than part was my number one criteria. I am looking for a dress paints or summer shorts type EDC light. The Haiku works but is just a little too big. The Sapphire works too but just not bright enough

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the smaller than part was my number one criteria. I am looking for a dress paints or summer shorts type EDC light. The Haiku works but is just a little too big. The Sapphire works too but just not bright enough

x2

a AA Size Sapphire with a bit more ooomph would be great.

fyrstormer

Banned
Odd. I have no problem carrying the Haiku in dress pants. An AA-sized light would only be 2mm narrower but 16mm (>1/2in.) longer as well. It wouldn't really be smaller in any meaningful way. I would appreciate the flexibility of being able to run a Haiku on an AA battery, but the narrower diameter alone seems to me to be too insignificant to matter.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will backtrack, 123 but would have to be a twisty to reduce the length. I would be happy with one level of light too.

I have a couple paid of dress pants where the Haiku sits a bit odd. It's the old "is that a flashlight in your pants?"

tsl

Enlightened
There isn't any reason an updated A2 head couldn't be designed to use dual O-rings to hold the reflector and lense, similar to the design of the LS20 head.

It would be great to see an updated version of the LS20.

It would also be nice to see a three speed using a McR27 reflector. We have the smaller McR17 reflector (Haiku) and larger 38mm reflector (Makai) but nothing in between.

nbp

Flashaholic

I am fine with the CR123 format. I was thinking something along the lines of a 4Sevens Quark Mini123 in size.

I will backtrack, 123 but would have to be a twisty to reduce the length. I would be happy with one level of light too.

I have a couple paid of dress pants where the Haiku sits a bit odd. It's the old "is that a flashlight in your pants?"

I am on the same page with you guys. My Haiku/Mule/HDS which are my main EDC lights get dumped for an Aeon/Ion/BitZ type light when I am in dress pants. Tiny 123 twisties: you can NEVER have enough of that form factor. Something the size of the BitZ would be great. That is a perfect example of a minimalist 123 light with exceptional build quality. Build a lovely tiny Ti light with two or three modes and you have something I am definitely interested in.