Where are all the 1AA flashlights these days?

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember when the Fenix L1P came out 1AA flashlights were all the rage for so long, then they just died away. Can someone recommend me a decent 1AA light, preferably with a warm tint and HCRI? I might have to go with Peak, I think they still build one.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dual fuel 1AA/14500
Multi mode McClicky
519a 5700k dedomed

There's a ton of excellent AA/14500 hosts to build. My favorite size by far.

image.jpg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a cheap host with a wonderful reflector. The beam profile is as good as any MCR.

Dual fuel tool AA driver

3478762B-7152-44C8-AE89-8F986693B0B4.jpeg
963C6DB4-904A-46A9-824D-3A7D62A9041C.jpeg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff AA MDC

Peak El Capitan- duel fuel

Zebralight sc53

Reylight pineapple- Duel fuel

McGizmo AA Pak is an awesome host

Malkoff AA MDC host can lego onto a lot of different heads in order to use either VME and drop ins or 3.7v li-ion compatible Surefire, McGizmo, or Malkoff heads.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Most AA size lights have now evolved into 14500 lights, the Lumintop Tool for the price is hard to beat. They just released a few new colors also.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight's i5R has a high CRI LED option. It has a weird USB-C rechargeable 2.4 volt proprietary 14500 included that's needed for max output, but it can also run on a standard AA (but not a standard 14500.) The LED is no Nichia, but is decent enough with a very nice optic. It's a simple 2 mode forward clicky UI, press once for low (12 lumens), press again for high (285 lumens.)

The Skilhunt E3A is another great AA/14500 that's a simple LMH reverse clicky UI with no mode memory and it's 4000K SST-20 is the absolute best SST-20 I've ever seen. It even puts a lot of my Nichias to shame when comparing tints side by side.

Acebeam also has the Pokelit which is also a dual fuel light, but I have no experience with it nor it's 5000K Nichia 219F, so I can't comment much on that. The price is right though at under 20 bucks on Amazon for the green color.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I know its prolly already been mentioned but the streamlight protac 1L-AA uses 1AA battery or 1 CR123A which is nice being duel fuel. I dont know much about them, but I know lumintop makes a small light with a AA that can also run a 14500 battery. (I dont know much about lumintop but their lights look nice)

nightshade

Enlightened
The nicely efficient Skilhunt M150 V3 with 519a and also the Reylight LANapple are two considerations . I still really like the Thrunite TH20 with a emitter swap.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically will take any battery you can fit inside
...except for 4.2V 16340 / 14500 cells. I point that out only because it's a very important point and one that many have historically found confusing, for whatever reason. The higher performance available using CR123A can also be realized by using LFP16340s for a secondary (rechargeable) solution at the expense of some run time. For that reason, this is what I keep in mine most of the time.

Outside the spec, I understand from others that one can finesse a AAA into it (although I haven't bothered to try it), and while that would be sub-optimal from a performance standpoint, it could save the day in a jam, and at lower output levels would probably still be useful.

My favorite is the ProTac 1L AA. It's a very versatile little flashlight.
Same here. It is without question the highest quality / best engineered AA-capable light I own (or know of for that matter), and for me offers the best package of design features and operating scheme. It is unquestionably the 'AA' light I would grab first when it really 'matters'.

Also, don't forget the venerable EagTac D25A. The basic design has been around a long time, but there are very good reasons for that, and in its current (MKII) version, is still a good choice in many respects. It's not 'perfect' (and what is?), but has a feature set / operating characteristics that most find very flexible / usable and easy to adapt to. I have several, and it is the AA light I use most daily 'around the house'. This one can indeed use 'standard' 4.2V 14500s to some advantage (which I do). It's also available from stock from a fine U.S. distributor, and is currently in stock with a choice of several emitters, including SST20 4000K R9080, which is probably my most-used (with a 219C example not far behind), although the latter is not currently in stock.

Last edited: