Where do "real" Eneloops come from?

Etsu

Enlightened
BTW, for anyone interested, Costco has Eneloops on sale this week. They're listed as the Sanyo Eneloop 1500 variety (2nd gen). I'm hoping that these ones are still made in Japan, so I stocked up on another 32 AA's and 24 AAA's. I'll be disappointed if they're made in China, but I take my chances...

IMO, the 3rd and 4th gen don't offer much extra over the 2nd gen, so I'm okay with these. Listed as good in the cold down to -20C, which is usually good enough for my usage (much better than the 1st gen). And I'll never see 1500 cycles, so 1800 or 2100 doesn't interest me much.

Etsu

Enlightened
BTW, for anyone interested, Costco has Eneloops on sale this week. They're listed as the Sanyo Eneloop 1500 variety (2nd gen). I'm hoping that these ones are still made in Japan, so I stocked up on another 32 AA's and 24 AAA's. I'll be disappointed if they're made in China, but I take my chances...

Received them today. They are indeed printed with "Made In Japan". 2nd gen HG-3UTGA and HR-4UTGA cells. Marked with a date code indicating they were manufactured in March 2013. So, they're older than I expected (over a year old). I wonder if they're still being made in Japan, and these are old stock from last year? Previously, when ordering Eneloops from Costco, they were always within 6 months of the manufactured date (often less). So maybe this indicates that the 2nd generation cells are no longer being made...?

Another thing, while the model number indicates gen 2 cells, the packaging clearly indicates gen 3 cells. 1800x cycles, 5 years to 70% self discharge, etc. So, are these gen 2 or gen 3?

Back of the battery drawer they go! I think I've got enough to last me for 20 years! I wonder if they'll still work after 20 years?

Last edited:

Antares

Newly Enlightened
BTW, for anyone interested, Costco has Eneloops on sale this week.

Is that via the website or only in stores? I keep seeing stuff talking about Costco having them, which would be great because I need some and have a Costco cash card I need to spend down, but I keep checking their website and haven't seen them yet, including right now.

Etsu

Enlightened
They are in the .ca version of their website, apparently not the .com. Looks like they're sold out of the AA, but still have the AAA. I think these are gen 3 (1800x), even though they list them as gen 2 (1500x).

Antares

Newly Enlightened
They are in the .ca version of their website, apparently not the .com. Looks like they're sold out of the AA, but still have the AAA. I think these are gen 3 (1800x), even though they list them as gen 2 (1500x).

Oh, ok, thanks. I wish US Costco would have them on sale, or at least for sale. I haven't checked in-store though.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eneloops come from "Battery Hens" sorry for the joke :) , I buy mine from Amazon as i dont find any real shops sell them.

John.

Really? I heard that right around Easter, the Energizer Bunny lays a batch of Eneloop batteries. He keeps going, and going, and going. Each year they linger/last a little longer. But if you don't get them from Panasonic, they don't come out white. Now just don't ask me where babies come from.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? I heard that right around Easter, the Energizer Bunny lays a batch of Eneloop batteries. He keeps going, and going, and going. Each year they linger/last a little longer. But if you don't get them from Panasonic, they don't come out white. Now just don't ask me where babies come from.

I thought it was the Duracell bunny that laid Eneloops.

melfio

Newly Enlightened
This is off topic, but since I'm not allowed to post personal messages yet I hope it works..

Hello Rosoku Chikara. You seem to be well-versed in the battery market, at least the Japanese one. Do you have any idea if there exists a good USB-charged battery out there? I mean one that attaches directly (or with a small extension cord) to the USB output of a computer or USB charger. Without the need for a separate charger.

The ones I've found (on the western side of the internet) have been subpar, not living up to the stated specifications, according to reviews and my personal experience....

Rick NJ

Newly Enlightened
All these hunt about "Made in Japan" Eneloops... What if they are made in Japan, but by another Panasonic plant other than FDK?

As said earlier in this post, the FDK technology barrier are both patent and process; so legally, no one can make batteries with the FDK-technology whether it is "Made in Japan" or not.

So, for one to find real FDK technology Eneloops, it is not just where it was made but also when.

Sooner or later, all these old stocks are going to be gone. Panasonic is going to have to either come up with a comparable or better technology, or the "Top Dog of NiMH LSD battery" seat will be vacated.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
All these hunt about "Made in Japan" Eneloops... What if they are made in Japan, but by another Panasonic plant other than FDK?

As said earlier in this post, the FDK technology barrier are both patent and process; so legally, no one can make batteries with the FDK-technology whether it is "Made in Japan" or not.

So, for one to find real FDK technology Eneloops, it is not just where it was made but also when.

Sooner or later, all these old stocks are going to be gone. Panasonic is going to have to either come up with a comparable or better technology, or the "Top Dog of NiMH LSD battery" seat will be vacated.

Fujitsu actually owns the plant and technology, Panasonic owns the brand name 'Eneloop.' Unless Fujitsu has opened up other plants in other countries, we're confident that 'made in Japan' LSD batteries are made at the FDK plant.

Now, Panasonic can buy batteries from other makers, say a Chinese maker and place their name on it and a 'made in China, or X, Y Z country' tag, which has happened in/with the Oceania/Asian 'Eneloop' markets.

The question then becomes whether that Chinese plant making batteries for Panasonic in China is using the same technology as Fujitsu uses, or whether that plant is actually run by Fujitsu?

Chris

Benediction

Newly Enlightened
I found this PDF legal document from the US Federal Trade Commission. It appears to be the document related, among other things, to Panasonic being required to sell the FDK factory on acquisition of Sanyo.

I discovered it by googling "sanyo fujitsu takasaki sale"

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only buy Fujitsu branded Eneloops as they have Made in Japan in big letters on the packaging and are cheaper, If i ordered Amazon Eneloops i would not know if i was getting Made in Japan or Made in China till i received them, and Chinese Eneloops are not as good as the ones made in Japan.

John.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this PDF legal document from the US Federal Trade Commission. It appears to be the document related, among other things, to Panasonic being required to sell the FDK factory on acquisition of Sanyo.

I discovered it by googling "sanyo fujitsu takasaki sale"

That's old news.

Panasonic could keep the trade name ENELOOP, or keep the factory, patents and technology. They chose the former.

There's some speculation that Toshiba actually developed the LSD type technology, before selling out to Sanyo.

Either way, Fujitsu owns the FDK plant at Takasaki and all the elves.

Chris

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
what's the latest rumor on the saga of eneloop "generations" and brandname variants that are thought to be the same only rebranded?