which flashlight do you use with your gun?

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my night stand is my Hokus Focus modded with an SSC P4 and focused to the tightest spot. That's my "bump in the night" light and what I'd use with my Ruger P89 that is also in my night stand drawer if the need arises.

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I keep a Mag with a Terralux dropin next to me at bedside with my venerable old Model 10 .38. When I carry the Glock, I pick from a slew of Surefires. Depends on the day, mood, what Im wearing . . . :whistle:

TD22057

Newly Enlightened
HK USP .45
+ Surefire Z2 combat light w/ a dealextreme Q5 drop in
= good night sleep

The Z2 was my first serious light (and for quite awhile my brightest) and I still love it's ergonomics when a weapon is involved. I was considering retiring it for something with more output until I found those drop in's. If I was looking for a new tactical light, I think I'd still get the Z2 and put a Q5 in it rather than something like the Fenix T0.

generic808

Enlightened
6P w/Malkoff with my issued S&W 5906 (yes, very crappy pistol which our dept will not get rid of) and 6P with my primary home G19 and back-up G26. The 6P has NEVER failed me in the field and as I said many times before, I truly do believe it is the most reliable light out there.

Brigadier

Enlightened
How do you like the Uniq dropin? I've been thinking about getting one.

I like it alot. I had originally ordered the Lighthound branded Q5 drop in, but they wouldn't fit my first gen 6P and G2, so they sent me the Uniq ones to try. Kudos to John @ LH for how he handled the whole transaction.

They work great - a nice tight hotspot with plenty of throw, but still alot of room filling spill.

USM0083

Enlightened
I like it alot. I had originally ordered the Lighthound branded Q5 drop in, but they wouldn't fit my first gen 6P and G2, so they sent me the Uniq ones to try. Kudos to John @ LH for how he handled the whole transaction.

They work great - a nice tight hotspot with plenty of throw, but still alot of room filling spill.

Thanks, looks like I'll be picking one up!

jufam44

Enlightened
Are you talking about weapon-mounted lights or handheld? I've got a SF M500 for the Carbine, and it works like a charm, definately provoking the "deer in the headlights" reaction. But for a few of our handguns, we've got X-300's from SF and a couple of Insights. My .50 is special though, as I have a Custom-Mount for it underbarrel that holds a 30w HID very nicely. And Bigiron, that was the first thing that came to my mind. :)

diananike

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Surefire G2 on my 14" 870 in a Tacstar UBM-4 barrel mount.
On my SKS I have a Ultrafire 4 cell Cr123 incan.
For use with my Norinco 9mm I grab my Fenix T1.

I'm not a LEO though. Just a Paranoid Gunfreak.

iapyx

Enlightened
Maybe you folks have already seen/heard of this solution?

http://www.techeblog.com/files/shotun_flash.jpg

ARES Defense Systems has developed a Mag-Lite that doubles as a .410 gauge shotgun. No word yet on pricing and availablity.

found this pic on this website: http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/top-10-strangest-spy-gadgets

put the pic in my photobucket folder
shotgun_flashlight_1.jpg

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that shotgun flashlight is going to be legal most places and it's very doubtful it would be legal in the U.S. Not sure I'd like the idea of it firing out the back side either. Can you imagine if someone picked it up and didn't know what it was started playing around with the buttons after pulling the pin. The natural tendency would be to aim it forward (the light end) and the results could be disastrous. I know you'd have to keep something like that under lock and key or someone could easily have a very bad day.

As far as weapon lights I've got a good mount but haven't decided between a SF X300 and a Novatac tactical.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
That would definitly be illegal in the United States, just as cane guns, hat guns, gloveguns, zip guns and other improvised firearms are illegal to even own without special licenses and documentation much less actually carry and use.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will try and find one, I saw the patent of it on a History Channel special on weird firearms Basically it was a Derby hat atached to a framework with a cord arrangement down the sleeve. When you activated it, the hat lifted, and the hidden gun fired. I thought it added a nice addition to weird firearms ;).

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Novatac T both on and off duty. I had previously used an L2 on my belt and kept a Photon Freedom (red LED) in my shirt pocket for paperwork. I had several Surefires from the e1e up to the M6, and occasionally carried the M3. I found some serious advantages to the Novatac.
My department trained in all the flashlight techniques, and I was quite comfortable with the Harries with the L2 and M3. I started practicing with the Thorpe Technique with the Novatac and now that is by far my preferred method. I haven't tried the Surefire Combat Rings, but may give those a try on the Novatac. Looks like Surefire is following Novatac's lead but calling the technique the Graham Method. Whatever you want to call it, the Surefires are just too long and bezel heavy for that technique. Hadn't heard of the Thorpe Technique until the Novatac's came out, and just saw the Combat Rings on Surefires web site.

If you are going to use a flashlight with a handgun, practice it. My department hasn't learned that yet as there are only two night shoots per year. That and they do not allow lights attached to our duty weapons.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, Illum. If you'll check, you'll find Florida is probably the most gun-friendly state after Vermont and Alaska.