Why I hate LED Flashlights and Lights

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
7.) Health. Blue light from LEDS is unseen that can disturb sleep rhythms and possibly increase the risk of serious health conditions, including cancer and cardiovascular disease.

OMG give me a break!!!! I would love to know how many thing in life a person fears if they actually fear #7, wow!

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, incan and LED peacefully coexist. Perhaps unlike many here, I prefer white light for determining color. Somehow, my eyes see colors better in white light (eg I have a very difficult time distinguishing dark navy blue socks and black socks in incan lighting. Switch on the bright white light, whether it be fluorescent or LED, and the socks sort themselves!). When outdoors however, I generally prefer incan lights. LED lights look "flat" to me, and maybe I have the wrong lights, but LEDs just don't seem to have the reach of incan lights. Then again, I have not experimented with warm tint LEDs--if I want warm white light, I just use incan.

Caveat. When I refer to incans, I generally mean Surefire caliber, whose xenon bulbs emit whiter light than some other types of incan lights. Light output that is too yellowy, or the awful green of early LEDs, is a definite no-no.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG give me a break!!!! I would love to know how many thing in life a person fears if they actually fear #7, wow!

I would love to know if it's possible for dissenting opinions to have substance rather than ridicule. I doubt anyone 'fears' anything on the list, as there are few children browsing these forums. Contrary to your beliefs, the disruption of sleep rhythms, by any cause, is a major problem for tens of millions. It is a subtle cause that has major effects, and it is provable science. If you're going to dismiss something, have something to back up your opinion. Do you often have your sleep disrupted? Is this beneficial to you? We want to know.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
I would love to know if it's possible for dissenting opinions to have substance rather than ridicule. I doubt anyone 'fears' anything on the list, as there are few children browsing these forums. Contrary to your beliefs, the disruption of sleep rhythms, by any cause, is a major problem for tens of millions. It is a subtle cause that has major effects, and it is provable science. If you're going to dismiss something, have something to back up your opinion. Do you often have your sleep disrupted? Is this beneficial to you? We want to know.

I can't even remember making my post, fact - 15 beers disrupts both memory and sleep rhythms lol. I'm pretty sure that I probably saw this and thought about an LED flashlight that's only on rarely and also points away from you, a far cry from being underneath LED all day long. Rock on and don't mind the occasional drunk in here haha.

Edit, maybe I'm glad that I made that drunk post, I would have never even given any thought to changing out my LEDs throughout my house and garage, hmm...

Last edited:

ssanasisredna

Enlightened

Opinions are valid when discussing subjective qualities, i.e. what CCT do you prefer. "Opinions" don't really have much validity when discussing objective qualities, i.e. like whether blue light from LED flashlights is a valid health concern. There is an implied social contract when posting something online that one be "reasonable". Reasonable positions are usually met with reasonable responses. A reasonable position would be, "When I have to go to the washroom in the middle of the night, I don't like the high amount of blue in bright high CCT LED flashlights as I find it wakes me up too much." An unreasonable position would be to make the leap that LED flashlights cause cancer given the limited time of exposure, low dosage levels, and relative impact of LED flashlights to other artificial light sources, not to mention implying that excess blue light is unique to LED flashlights and the same for all of them.

Ridiculous positions, i.e. that the earth is flat, are often met with a comedic response as that is often viewed as the only valid response as to respond otherwise would give validity where it is not warranted.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
What a beautiful world: A complaint thread with hate in the title evolves into good times for all. (Still enjoying the 70's Hemi Cuda/burning-filament word picture)

I hate my mother-in-law's porch light; horrible use of white LED's. She knows now to leave it off when I come over, because I'm carrying a flashlight...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
No, it is square idiot. I think you had better quit using those blue LED's they may be disrupting your sleep cycles:D.

Blue LED's are cool.

Yes pun intended.
Meanwhile back at the ranch..
I have a neighbor who has blue LED'd porch lights as a "blue lives matter" gesture. I asked "what's with the porch lights man?". He replied "Dude! I haaaaayte LED's. lol.

Last edited:

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
What a beautiful world: A complaint thread with hate in the title evolves into good times for all. (Still enjoying the 70's Hemi Cuda/burning-filament word picture)

I hate my mother-in-law's porch light; horrible use of white LED's. She knows now to leave it off when I come over
Personally i hate the title of this thread!! And I hate my mother in law even more than you hate yours...come one man you don't just hate her porch lights! Haha, so fun to hate lol

Last edited:

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Let's keep this thread about flashlights and not mothers in law...

Sorry, and only kidding, far from hating my mother in law she is actually smoking hot. Since I'm guilty of the divergence I'll try to throw it back on track, to OP, ok I better understand that constant LED exposure is bad, but I was wondering, as far as flashlights go would you be a lot more excepting of warm LED flashlights? Like 4000K for instance?

wjv

Enlightened
Most of my lights are LEDs. I prefer the neutral and warmer tints. Have a EagleTac with 219 Nichia LED that has a tint like a candle. The only place I really like the pure white lights is in the throwers. At 800 meters, the white adds more illumination and contrast and color isn't as important.

And a Floody LED light @1,000 lumens is nice when you are underground. . .

mQUq9fH.jpg

Last edited:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have a EagleTac with 219 Nichia LED that has a tint like a candle.

FYI Candlelight has a color temperature of about 1500K and is characteristically orange or yellow-orange in tint. You should try lighting a candle in a dark environment and actually comparing it to your 219 Nichia LED. You should then try an incan flashlight under the same circumstances (any old MagLite will do, but a Surefire incan will drive the point home), and compare its light to your 219 Nichia LED. Afterwards, you will never try to make this comparison again... because they don't compare. Nichia's 219b is probably the best LED available to the general consumer regarding tint, temperature and color rendition. But even the light from best LED pales (literally) in comparison to the light from a tungsten lamp driven within its design specifications. The whitest flashlight lamps are around 3500K (maybe some Xenon and HID are hotter and whiter?). They may exist, but I don't know of any manufacturer mass producing LED flashlights with a color temperature below 4000K. It's a good chance your 219 Nichia is a lot whiter and hotter color temperature than you realize. Or you were hyperbolizing, and I didn't catch on... mea culpa, hyperbolize away, I can't live without hyperbole, myself... not for a second, not ever.

Last edited:

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
FYI Candlelight has a color temperature of about 1500K and is characteristically orange or yellow-orange in tint.

Closer to 1800K, but depends on the wax. Beeswax burns a bit hotter.

You should then try an incan flashlight under the same circumstances (any old MagLite will do, but a Surefire incan will drive the point home), and compare its light to your 219 Nichia LED. Afterwards, you will never try to make this comparison again... because they don't compare.

Is that new batteries in the Incan? Old batteries? I have LEDs both cooler and warmer than an incan ran at rated voltage.

But even the light from best LED pales (literally) in comparison to the light from a tungsten lamp driven within its design specifications.

Which "best" LED? Lumileds T(X) at 90+ (typically 95) CRI, 2700/3000K? Yuji high CRI? Osram 90CRI 2200K ... which one?

I will guarantee I could light two rooms, one with incan, one with high CRI LEDs and you will not know which is which. Heck, I will even PWM the LEDs at high frequency.

They may exist, but I don't know of any manufacturer mass producing LED flashlights with a color temperature below 4000K.

Could it be that they are catering to what the market wants?

Armytek and Nitecore come to mind, I am sure others make 3000K lights.

best LED pales (literally) in comparison to the light from a tungsten lamp driven within its design specifications.

... There I go again, wearing dark blue socks with a black suit ...

LEDs got me into the flashlight game. Fenix's in particular. Now the only LED lights I have that I like are my Prometheus Beta with a 219A and my Alpha with the MCE 4500k. Even still, I want an Incan Alpha. I recently picked up a Surefire M6 which is an awesome Incan powerhouse. I also think I want another E1E to go with my E2. With rechargables I just find incan lights 'more better.' LED technology is awesome but I see incandescent lights as the true enthusiast product these days.

Latest posts