Why you no longer own an HDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP:
"Looking to see why people might no longer own an HDS light. Basically I'm trying to talk myself out of trying one because they're pricey and they don't run off my preferred power source which is Eneloops. So any of you ex-HDS owners, why don't you own one anymore?"

Is that unclear in some way?
:candle:

Oh so you have owned one. Carry on then.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some flashlights that are pocket sized are over $2000 "Larrylight?", "Cool Fall?". I dont own one but I am sure they holding a Sig Sauer pistol "feels like butter":) (I dont own a Sig either :broke:). The HDS light is worth the money... if you have it. I was lucky enough to get a limited run zombie green, high CRI, CR123 powered light ($300?!):twothumbs I admire it all day long on the shelf behind my desk . I also have some neutral 18650 versions that I use as decorative shelf illuminating lights, one illuminates a small ( 3 inch diameter) glass globe truly beautiful. While you dont have to spend $300 you can get one for about a third of that price. If you are a 'collector' you should own one. Sure other lights are brighter, but like other things like a guitar amplifier, louder, more power is not always better compared with a warm beautiful tone.
I have always had good dealings with Henry at HDS and would HIGHLY recommend this USA made brand.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on some folks' opinions stated in the last page or so, my input here may not be warranted or even desired. But for what its worth, if anything at all, count me among those who have zero problems with the high price, or the "low" output. And I definitely don't find these lights ordinary or outdated in any way. The ergonomics are perfect for me (although I also have witnessed the polarizing effects some folks mentioned already), the quality/construction is literally second-to-none, the beam shape/quality is great for a wide range of tasks, and the UI (especially the Rotary) is quite simply the best way I've found to control and interact with a flashlight. Just can't beat it, in my opinion. And no, I'm not just trying to justify my purchases. I honestly think that HDS lights are good value. I have lights that cost several times as much money but offer even less in functionality.

Yes, I own lots of other lights. Zebralights have been brought up here a few times -- I own 15 of them. They're great lights and I'll probably buy more of them too, but I don't carry them nearly as often as my HDSs. Really its the UI. That Rotary UI is something I miss much more than the extra lumens I give up by carrying it. However, notice I never said I think HDS lights are perfect for everyone. I'm sure that's not true and some of you guys with differing opinions probably have valid reasons for holding them. Nothing wrong with that. Personally I'm glad we have a thriving market with lots of choices now-a-days. Choice is a good thing and I hope everyone can find flashlights that suit their purposes. But for me, I'm really glad HDS is an option.

This thread needs more pics. This one's slightly outdated but only by one light, so here you go:

s2rAEMv.jpg

PS: I ordered another Rotary yesterday. I've somehow managed to find myself without a flush-button black-ano Rotary, and there's new firmware! :rock:

Last edited:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that pic! that zombie green version is beautiful WTG. Henry only made a 'few' he said it was a lot of difficult work

s2rAEMv.jpg

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that pic! that zombie green version is beautiful WTG. Henry only made a 'few' he said it was a lot of difficult work

Thanks, yeah its really unfortunate that the cerakote lights are no more. I have a real weakness for them. I also love the green, and that orange, and this crimson red I just picked up (missing from the pic above)...

wGyUrxB.jpg

...and the others in my pic above too of course. Now if only someone would part with that rare NRA Blue for me! But that's not really the topic of this thread :)

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually in a similar position to the OP. I have an 8-year-old hi-cri HDS clicky so I'm not an ex-HDS owner, but I have been resisting the urge to purchase the hi-cri HDS rotary for a while now.

A new rotary would have twice the max output as my clicky, but I don't need that. My current clicky can produce 100L, but the only time I ever do that is to check if the battery needs charging. 33L is what I use as my "High" level, but my most used level is 3.3L. I've been told that even if I don't use more output, a more efficient LED would let me get more run time on the low levels that I do use, but I've also read that my older HDS driver is more efficient at low levels than the current driver is. But in reality, I get enough run time at the output levels that I use that I don't feel any need to get more.

The rotary UI is the only thing that a new HDS would give me that really matters. And it seems really cool and I'm sure it's a marvel of engineering, but at the end of the day, I don't know if the rotary UI would serve me any better than the clicky UI I already have. My current light has levels spaced exactly where I want them and in the rare case that I need more or less light than my default level provides, I'm so used to my clicky that the desired level gets selected without me even thinking about it, typically before the light is even out of the holster.

The final rational for resisting the rotary is that I tend to fidget with things, so having a moving part on my light for me to fidget with might actually be a bad thing.

Anyways, valid or not, this reasoning is why I have, thus far, resisted the temptation to buy a rotary.

--flatline

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The final rational for resisting the rotary is that I tend to fidget with things, so having a moving part on my light for me to fidget with might actually be a bad thing.

--flatline

For whatever its worth I do this with my Rotaries A LOT. I flipped my knives open a million times (in appropriate surroundings of course...), I've bought several "high-end" fidget spinners, I've clicked my pen over and over and over, but I always go back to that Rotary for fidgeting. Its great. And so far I've never caused an issue by doing that.

If you get ready to upgrade I'll buy your legacy. I don't have one... :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In before close.

The thread made it a good while before personality clashes began. Bravo.

The point is if you no longer own an HDS, how come?
We can debate the merits for or against until the cows come home. Meanwhile the op is probably scratching his head and asking "can't we all just get along?"
Makes me want to buy an HDS, then sell it just so his question can get an answer without turning this thread into another episode of Jerry Springer. Sheesh.

Btt: I generally don't do holster lights. HDS are holster lights. Henry builds great flashlights. But if I ever had owned one my reason for selling it would likely be size related. As a rule I don't sell lights I buy. Instead it would probably get set aside until jacket season.

Yet if the American government meant did a crackdown on owning more than 1 flashlight an HDS rotary would be one I'd truely consider. My max price point for a flashlight is $175. If I ever decide to cross that line an HDS will be the first one on my list.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point is if you no longer own an HDS, how come?
We can debate the merits for or against until the cows come home. Meanwhile the op is probably scratching his head and asking "can't we all just get along?"
Makes me want to buy an HDS, then sell it just so his question can get an answer without turning this thread into another episode of Jerry Springer. Sheesh.

I think most of us know that. The OP asked for "cons", reasons against HDS lights, from folks who have experience. And some of us have come along and provided our idea of "pros" anyway. Maybe that is just clutter, but I know at least in my case, and I believe most others as well, we're all just trying to help. After all, until you actually lay hands on the light all of the "pros" may not be clear either, even if someone thinks they are. As long as we're all being respectful (...most of us are...) I don't really see the harm in chiming in. But maybe the OP disagrees, idk. If my opinions and input aren't welcome here then I apologize to the OP for cluttering his thread...or maybe just think of it as a free "bump" to keep things at the top :)

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
No harsh feelings here people. Didn't know it would get all hairy! I agree that the best way to know is to get your hands on one. Hopefully if this spurs on a pass around then it can help people decide if they'd want one or not.

archimedes

Flashaholic
No harsh feelings here people. Didn't know it would get all hairy! I agree that the best way to know is to get your hands on one. Hopefully if this spurs on a pass around then it can help people decide if they'd want one or not.

And with that note from the OP, I think this thread has now fully run its course (and I mean that in a sincere and positive way) ... so we'll close it now and let gurdy have the last word here, ending on a good note.

Thanks all for (mostly) keeping things nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.