With a Sunwayman V10R Ti, what would be the practicable reason to keep a McGizmo Ti?

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hey, great link! Thanks. Looks "pretty standard really." I don't see anything to be concerned about (or to get really excited about) in terms of construction. Since the light isn't that powerful I guess heat isn't a real issue. I always love to see the guts!

Norm

Retired Administrator
I don't see how you can argue that they are similar in terms of build quality. See here for detailed photos of what I mean. The V10R Ti has good build quality, but nowhere near a McGizmo.

The pictures are magnified 4 or 5 times, in real life the marks are visible but do not detract from the light in any way, for $150.00 I don't expect every little detail to be perfect. SWM seemed to have gotten the important details right.

Overall I consider the VR10R TI to be one of nicest lights I've ever owned.

Norm

Last edited:

Dadof6

Enlightened
As much as I enjoy the Sunwayman VR10R TI, I do wish the rotating ring was in the tail like the HDS rotary. Sometimes it's difficult to figure out where the ring is without looking at it. I find that I use the clip to orient me on where the rotator ring is on the light.

scout24

Flashaholic
I gave this question a lot of thought, and read the entire thread before posting... I owned an early SWM Ti that went back for flickering, and own a V10A and an R now. Both with McGizmo pocketclips, which make them far more secure for EDC in my opinion. I like the variable control, I like the design and construction, I like the output of the SWM lights, and do carry them occasionally. My Haiku XP-G rules my EDC roost, however, for the following reasons: Beam quality, which is second to none. Build quality, also second to none. Rock solid. The McClicky switch, which is fantastic... Pocketclip, again fantastic. Reliability, not even worth mentioning. Anyone had a problem with one? The biggest reasons, though, are as follows... 1. The entire light can arguably be taken down to component parts in about five minutes, O-rings, boot, switch, LE, reflector and lens separated from the body if there is a difficulty. 2. Parts- availability from several different places, all common items, (O-rings, boot and switch, clip and screws, reflector, lens). 3. Aleph LE, and E-series compatability, perhaps two of the more widely available, moddable, and useful/ reliable platforms out there. God forbid Don is unavailable, there are several fantastic modders here who understand how these work and know them inside and out. E- series? How would you like that, sir? What color and battery configuration? If need be, I have an Aleph CR2 body, stock 1x123, 1x123 and 17670 SF bodies, 2xAA Ti body from Don, and had a 1xAA TB body at one point to run this on. Commonality and compatability are wonderful things. The end-all, however, is that Don is just an Email away, if need be, and is fantastic with communication, not just when you're buying something. I don't need to send my light to someone to have it sent to Don on the off chance there is a problem. Sorry for the long-winded reply, I think that's everything... :)

mostel

Newly Enlightened
McClicky switch and beam of the McGizmo's, at least my Haiku make it easily a better light for me over my Ti V10R. I agree the build quality of the Ti V10R is pretty outstanding esp. for the money you pay to get one but the clicky switch I think kinda sucks and the beam is nowhere near as pleasing and I can't get one in neutral! I also personally believe that Don knows more about building a quality, dependable light more-so than Sunwayman.

I know this is a super old thread, but I have two mcgizmos, and both have reliability problems in a short time of ownership, and VERY soft use... I will be sending both back for fix. Now with that said, I do love these lights like crazy. They are everything people say about them. But two going haywire with just suburban dad type use, nothing extreme whatsoever... Is disappointing. I referred to this thread while reading up on The Sunwayman so... Just wanted to put it out there... Dons lights are superb, but my experience has been surprisingly so so on reliability. In fact the first issue was right out of the box. The second issue resulted after being dropped once on a wood floor. Now... With all the talk about tactical this and that... Well, let's just be real. These are luxury items. And not durable or rugged at all.

easilyled

Flashaholic
I know this is a super old thread, but I have two mcgizmos, and both have reliability problems in a short time of ownership, and VERY soft use... I will be sending both back for fix. Now with that said, I do love these lights like crazy. They are everything people say about them. But two going haywire with just suburban dad type use, nothing extreme whatsoever... Is disappointing. I referred to this thread while reading up on The Sunwayman so... Just wanted to put it out there... Dons lights are superb, but my experience has been surprisingly so so on reliability. In fact the first issue was right out of the box. The second issue resulted after being dropped once on a wood floor. Now... With all the talk about tactical this and that... Well, let's just be real. These are luxury items. And not durable or rugged at all.

It would be good to know what each of the issues were. The only issues I've ever had with McGizmos have been with the McClicky switch.

Also did you receive these lights directly from Don or via the second-hand market?

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Purely functionally, the Sunwayman wins. However, you can service the McGizmo yourself, which will come in handy when Sunwayman is out of business.
3 years later and still around.

Well, let's just be real. These are luxury items. And not durable or rugged at all.
Which, Mcg, SWM or both? My V10r Ti has been beat and works fine, I had a chrome and Ti PD and both were very reliable.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My V10r Ti has been beat and works fine, I had a chrome and Ti PD and both were very reliable.
+1

I've been mostly carrying my V10R Ti for the past couple years, but my main Haiku has likewise been trouble free.

Practicable reason for carrying my Haiku is that it just works, is compact, feels good in the hand, I love the UI and if something horrible were to happen to my light, titanium is much less likely to accept deformation than aluminum.

Still love both lights and they're staying right where they are.

calflash

Enlightened
Wow mostel - I am sorry for your problems. I'm actually kind of bummed this has happened to you because it sounds like this has made you view McGizmo lights as problematic. My own experience is that I have treated my McGizmo lights harder than any of my other lights - I've actually thrown them and they have outlasted every other light I've ever had. So I'd say give them another chance to prove themselves. I'm sure you'll be happy with the result.

nbp

Flashaholic

Indeed, please tell us what went wrong with your McGs.

My personal experience as well as my reading of thousands of posts in Don's subforum has demonstrated that failures in his lights are quite rare.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
mostel- My 007 and V10RTi are solid. While not a McGizmo, I dropped the 007 on bare concrete/asphalt many times unfortunately. Functionally it works great. Cosmetically it still looks awesome. I also dropped my V10RTi, but the issue again is cosmetic. They may be luxury items, but my lights have been as tough as nails.

fyrstormer- Probably tongue in cheek, but I think beamhead was referring to the shelf life of flashlight companies in China. All things considered 3+ years is pretty impressive for a Chinese company. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe Pila is the oldest Chinese flashlight company around. They began around 20+ years ago in British Hong Kong, and even after the handover (officially making it Chinese) it is probably still the oldest company.

Last edited:

Latest posts