Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight with you?

guthrie

Newly Enlightened
Re: Another "Why do you carry a flashlight?" Moment

I used to get comments about wearing my head torch at re-enactment events. They became fewer over the years as people found out how useful they were. One friend borrowed mine to put his tent up in the dark, and found me later in the beer tent exclaiming how it was amazing that you could see what you were doing and have both hands free. Oddly enough after that he got a head torch. It's not just having a torch, but the most appropriate one for the circumstances.

Pilotodude

Newly Enlightened

Brilliant. I actually know someone who, when asked why she left her cell pone at home, replied, "I wasn't expecting any calls."

Hmmmm... :duh2:

Well, up until a few years ago, I used to leave the house without my phone all of the time. I don't anymore, why?

At least in the areas that I frequent, there are no more pay phones. That was my out back in "the day". Since there are no more pay phones, my cell is now considered EDC. What if I need to make an emergency call... What if I break down, get hurt, or end up running late to the point my family might worry? Pay phones used to be on every block. Now there's about one per grid square. Ya know... I can still put the cell phone in airplane mode if I don't want to be bothered, but I've got it if I need it. It's amazing how much I use it for the map-gps functions alone, especially when traveling abroad.

Yes, I'm one of those guys, but without pay phones, I'm OK with it. Oh, and my phone has this cool flashlight function... :sick2: No, I don't use it for a primary light... But it's still ONE MORE light if you need it.

Sidecarist

Newly Enlightened

My answer is simple. It's dark 50% of the time...

I carry a light for a variety of reasons/uses.

1, It serves as my first defensive tool. If I'm approached by a stranger in low light it gives me an edge to deal with them with the end goal of remaining safe/avoiding trouble. This is called negotiating the pre-fight interview.

2, I use a light almost daily to look at something at work, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

3, You simply don't know when the lights will go out, or you will be out after dark.

I never leave the house without at least 1 light, and a good knife/multi tool. Countless times having a light has just been handy.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

My answer is simple. It's dark 50% of the time...

I carry a light for a variety of reasons/uses.

1, It serves as my first defensive tool. If I'm approached by a stranger in low light it gives me an edge to deal with them with the end goal of remaining safe/avoiding trouble. This is called negotiating the pre-fight interview.

2, I use a light almost daily to look at something at work, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

3, You simply don't know when the lights will go out, or you will be out after dark.

I never leave the house without at least 1 light, and a good knife/multi tool. Countless times having a light has just been handy.

Keep in mind that shinning your light in a stranger eyes could escalate a situation or even start one that never would have happened. Its akin to pulling a knife or gun before even knowing what the strangers intentions are but, could be even more dangerous because a flashlight is of little offensive value in comparison.

Sidecarist

Newly Enlightened

I'll disagree with you on comparing shining a light in someone's eyes as being equal to pulling a knife or a gun... the light isn't going to take a life unless used as a contact weapon. Flash & dash techniques are far down the threat scale from knives and guns.

You start with the light shown at their feet, then bring it just high enough to see their hands. It creates a psychological fence and allows you to evaluate the situation and take appropriate action. This doesn't presume that violence is always required in fact it almost never is. Shining a light usually makes you a less desirable target simply because it shows that you are prepared for the dark...

A light can offer considerable defensive value, I would never look at a light as an offensive weapon, or expect it to be one.

In this context my use of a light is primarily to avoid a confrontation not escalate in to one. I am lucky that I have had the opportunity to receive training in techniques like this. I would encourage others to do so as well. I travel a great deal for work to places I've never been to before. A light is a primary defensive tool that doesn't raise fear in others. I can walk down the street with a small powerful light in my hand and not scare anyone, particularly if it's already dark, or nearly so.

Hudson456

Newly Enlightened
Says my friend to me today.

At around 5.45pm today, the building that I work at lost its power. For some reason the generator wasn't kicking in and it was already dark out (New Zealand winter). Everything was pitch black and my buddy and I needed to get down from the 8th floor using the stairs. He goes ahead of me and uses the flashlight app on his phone, but stops after about 30 seconds since at the end of the workday, his phone's battery was at 5% already. Well, we didn't want to feel our way down the pitch black stairwell or wait for the power to come back on.

Out comes my new Prometheus Alpha from my bag and on medium provides enough light to illuminate the entire stairwell, all 8 floors down and 8 floors up. I'm standing on the landing, headed down when I hear him ask 'Wow, why in the world do you carry a flashlight on you?' I literally stop in my tracks and give him the :thinking: face while bouncing the Alpha's beam around the pitch black of the stairwell when all of a sudden he goes 'Oh, right' :eek:. I just :cool: and we get reach the ground floor in one piece just as the lights come back on.

It seems really strange that I can't ever seem to leave the house without a watch, a knife, and a flashlight. When just last year I didn't have any of them. I couldn't imagine going through my day without the convenience of portable illumination now. Anyone else feel the same?

I think every single person who's on this forum feels the same way...:laughing:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll disagree with you on comparing shining a light in someone's eyes as being equal to pulling a knife or a gun... the light isn't going to take a life unless used as a contact weapon. Flash & dash techniques are far down the threat scale from knives and guns.

You start with the light shown at their feet, then bring it just high enough to see their hands. It creates a psychological fence and allows you to evaluate the situation and take appropriate action. This doesn't presume that violence is always required in fact it almost never is. Shining a light usually makes you a less desirable target simply because it shows that you are prepared for the dark...

A light can offer considerable defensive value, I would never look at a light as an offensive weapon, or expect it to be one.

In this context my use of a light is primarily to avoid a confrontation not escalate in to one. I am lucky that I have had the opportunity to receive training in techniques like this. I would encourage others to do so as well. I travel a great deal for work to places I've never been to before. A light is a primary defensive tool that doesn't raise fear in others. I can walk down the street with a small powerful light in my hand and not scare anyone, particularly if it's already dark, or nearly so.

If you re-read my post you will see the comparison was made in the context of escalating a situation, not the lethality of said objects.

I can tell you with certainty that shining a light at someone as they might just be walking past you can/could vary well start a situation when one never would have happened. It could also escalate a situation that might have been diffused with words. I am not saying that using a flashlight as a defensive tool is not a good idea in certain situations but, it could also enrage certain people and create a situation that never would have happened if you just kept walking and went about your business.

I highly suggest you use avoidance and words long before you resort to shinning your light at someone that you dont even know for sure is a threat. Also, not putting yourself in problem areas or especially in problem areas at late hours can go a long way to avoiding a situation.

Sidecarist

Newly Enlightened

We have a difference of opinion on some points, and I can live with that. Others will take what they want from this.

I think there is an assumption here that Is different between us. I haven't and wouldn't shine a light directly at someone just passing by. There is no need. Someone directly approaching me in a way that appears threatening is a different situation. Everyone should use good judgment to avoid problem areas whenever possible. However when despite all of our best efforts to be as safe as possible we are confronted being prepared and trained will certainly be useful...

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

We have a difference of opinion on some points, and I can live with that. Others will take what they want from this.

I think there is an assumption here that Is different between us. I haven't and wouldn't shine a light directly at someone just passing by. There is no need. Someone directly approaching me in a way that appears threatening is a different situation. Everyone should use good judgment to avoid problem areas whenever possible. However when despite all of our best efforts to be as safe as possible we are confronted being prepared and trained will certainly be useful...

Me too, we all have different opinions.

What if the person approaching you was having a really bad day, just got a flat tire, looked really pissed off, and had many tattoos but was just looking to ask you to use your phone to call a friend. So, you blast him in the eyes with your light thinking he's a threat before using your words to feel/figure out his intentions or diffuse the situation. Now you could potentially have a really bad situation on your hands. What if the guy has a really bad temper and is carrying a firearm. You could have created a situation when one didnt even exist. Or, created a situation that your words could have gotten you out of. And, you chose just about the most useless tool(defensive or offensive) that you could have.

I am not trying to undermine your training or suggest that it is not a good idea to be prepared. I am just reminding you to be cautious in how use your flashlight in a defensive role. Depending on the situation, you could get your self into trouble. A flashlight is one of the least effective defensive tools imo.

Stay safe:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic

I think that this particular aspect has been fully explored at this point in time; :poke:
I didn't bump / merge these two monster threads just to have it blow up from a new post this afternoon. :ironic:

Sidecarist

Newly Enlightened

Im good with that, sorry for the thread drift.

I also use my light a lot simply looking for things inside all my tool boxes and bins! I don't know what I'd do without it.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm to the point that I'm dubious of anyone who doesn't know where their light, and their towel are.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
​I too feel naked, if I leave the house with out a knife & flash light.

guthrie

Newly Enlightened

I'm to the point that I'm dubious of anyone who doesn't know where their light, and their towel are.

That depends if they read the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy.

Last edited:

RapidRescueMedical

Newly Enlightened
Why would anyone ask why you carry a flashlight with you??!?
It's nuts, many people just aren't prepared for when things go sideways, even a little bit.
Power goes out at night; or it's dark and you are in the bush away from 'civilization' and you want to put up a tent, rummage in your backpack for something to eat etc etc

I always have at least a mini flashlight or a small headlamp in a jeans or jacket pocket. they are just too damn useful to leave at home. even AT home, I have one in a pocket. :)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why on earth do you carry a phone and a debit/credit card around with you?
Where's your obsidian axe? ...moron.

Last edited:

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was refreshing to see on the overnight, so many police officers carrying decent flashlights- mostly streamlights with a few mag leds in the mix. One officer had 2 lights holstered on his belt- I didn't get a chance to talk to him- nothing like a spare battery holder that lights up!