• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: HL55vn - Brightest Headlamp

CUL8R

Enlightened
Wow! Received this light much faster than I thought I would:). The 4 main levels are well spaced and burst mode is bright even in daytime. I compared this to the only other 18650 headlamp I have, a Nitecore HC50. The nitecore is much more solid (machined from one block of metal). This means it needs all three of its included straps to hold the head from bouncing when you walk. The Fenix is not one piece and nowhere near as heavy. It feels fine to me without using the top strap - no bouncing or movement. Very light for a high powered 18650 headlamp (comparatively). The reflector is also deeper than the one on my Nitecore. This means that while the light is still hugely floody, it throws better than the nitecore. It definately has a more distinct hot spot, or is more focused than the nitecore. In my opinion, this makes it a much better all around light than my HC50 which is a good all-arounder in it's own light (excuse the pun)! Very good flood with enough throw to see some distance (maybe tonight I can find out how far). Oh, and the 30 second burst mode seems longer than I thought it would - it provides time for a good look around before dropping back to whatever level you started at. And yes you can go directly to burst from off if you want. This is definately my new backpacking headlamp! Great light Vinh(and Fenix)!!!:twothumbs

DSCF1452_2sml-L.jpg

DSCF1453_2sml-L.jpg

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Awsome buddy!

What's it like on high, dose it get hot quickly or how long do you think you can run it on high for?

Can't wait for mine!

CUL8R

Enlightened
Awsome buddy!

What's it like on high, dose it get hot quickly or how long do you think you can run it on high for?

Can't wait for mine!

Charged up a couple of VTC5's. Ran it on high for 10 minutes and there were a couple of warm spots, but nothing hot. Then after a 10 minute cooldown, I put in a new VTC5 and ran 4 cycles (2 minutes) of burst mode. I reentered burst mode as soon as it clicked off each time. This one got a little warmer, but nothing you couldn't hold on too. Not knowing how well this light moves heat away from the electronics, I chose not to push it anymore, but I feel Fenix could have pushed the boost mode to at least 1 minute, and it is probably safe for as long as 3 minutes (even with Vinh's mods).

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Charged up a couple of VTC5's. Ran it on high for 10 minutes and there were a couple of warm spots, but nothing hot. Then after a 10 minute cooldown, I put in a new VTC5 and ran 4 cycles (2 minutes) of burst mode. I reentered burst mode as soon as it clicked off each time. This one got a little warmer, but nothing you couldn't hold on too. Not knowing how well this light moves heat away from the electronics, I chose not to push it anymore, but I feel Fenix could have pushed the boost mode to at least 1 minute, and it is probably safe for as long as 3 minutes (even with Vinh's mods).

Agree. Fenix was conservative with the turbo timer. Heat-sinking design is great.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Awsome then!

Looks like extended runs no issue then just keep checking it.

Yes I to think the burst is a bit short but I think it helps over use of it and draining battery's very quickly.

CUL8R

Enlightened
Vinh, Any chance you can let us know current to LED (or increase over stock) and estimated LED lumens on burst, and maybe high? I've got no stock light to compare to and my el cheapo multimeter does not do current well at all.

I also just read about some flickering issues with the stock lights in the headlamp section when in lowest mode. I hadn't noticed it as I hadn't tried to read with this light yet. But they are correct - mine does it also. If you stand 2 to 3 feet from a wall you can notice very distinct flickering away from the center of the beam. I decided to see if it would be a problem when reading. So I just put in 15 minutes reading on low in the dark and it doesn't bother me at all. Maybe the people that are complaining are just very sensitive to variations, or maybe just in search of perfection. All I know is I like this light and I'm keeping it!

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Will do. Got several pending HL55vn orders. Will try to remember to take measurements.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Great! Cant wait for mine! Gonna end up using this for work now as its dark in the mornings when I am working as stars are still out but its outside work so I need both hands free so this is a great addition to my collection I am sure, will deffo be used a lot!

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Wow, dosent sound a lot but from a headlight that is MAD!

Just today I was thinking I'd used it to out out the bins and also ridding to work this morning in the wee hours, also when I don't want to turn lights on and wake up the whole family low will be nice.

Also doing some night filming and was stuck trying to work out how to light up there subjects then remberd I had this on the way, this will be perfect for filming close action squeances...

Can't wait now!!!

CUL8R

Enlightened
Thank you Vinh!
It looks like right in line with Fenix's figures (stock) 1000 led lumen -10% = 900 OTF which is what fenix claims.
That would make yours around 1300 - 130 = 1170-1200 OTF lumens. Very, very nice for a headlamp! :devil:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Vinh!
It looks like right in line with Fenix's figures (stock) 1000 led lumen -10% = 900 OTF which is what fenix claims.
That would make yours around 1300 - 130 = 1170-1200 OTF lumens. Very, very nice for a headlamp! :devil:

Fenix usually have good claims :)

Gforce

Newly Enlightened
It has just arrived. Visually brighter then my favourite HC90vn. It is also slightly more throwy compared to HC90vn reaching the perfect throw/flood balance to my trail running needs. It also has very nice neutral tint. Thanks Vinh !

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
It has just arrived. Visually brighter then my favourite HC90vn. It is also slightly more throwy compared to HC90vn reaching the perfect throw/flood balance to my trail running needs. It also has very nice neutral tint. Thanks Vinh !

Its more reliable than the HC90vn as well

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its more reliable than the HC90vn as well
Vinh do you still say the hc90vn is the best headlamp? How many lumens is the hc90vn? Why is this headlamp more reliable than hc90vn?

just found the hc90vn thread. You say it's 1250 lumen, so this hl55vn is only 50 lumen brighter?

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Vinh do you still say the hc90vn is the best headlamp? How many lumens is the hc90vn? Why is this headlamp more reliable than hc90vn?

just found the hc90vn thread. You say it's 1250 lumen, so this hl55vn is only 50 lumen brighter?

Yes if you get one that is reliable.
HC90vn slider could be finicky.
Seems more than 50 lumen brighter.