• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WTS: HL55vn - Brightest Headlamp

gofastman

Enlightened
The HL55vn is an awesome headlamp and it really doesn't have any real negatives. The only thing I dislike is the turbo mode is only for 30 seconds and then the light turns off instead of dropping down to high. The light will run on high without becoming uncomfortable until the voltage drops.

I might be mistaken, but if the mode is on high and you activate turbo, it drops down to high after 30 seconds.
I wish there was a thermal step down, or a timed step down that is significantly less conservative, I think 2 min would be just fine.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might be mistaken, but if the mode is on high and you activate turbo, it drops down to high after 30 seconds.
I wish there was a thermal step down, or a timed step down that is significantly less conservative, I think 2 min would be just fine.
The turbo mode on mine is exactly 30 seconds long but it does turn off at the end. It's never stepped down. I thought all of them were like this....... just a quirk. Anyone chime in on their headlamps? Step down off of turbo or turn completely off like mine?

gofastman

Enlightened
The turbo mode on mine is exactly 30 seconds long but it does turn off at the end. It's never stepped down. I thought all of them were like this....... just a quirk. Anyone chime in on their headlamps? Step down off of turbo or turn completely off like mine?

My light is in my toolbox at work so I can't test it, it's quite possible I'm wrong.
If you do this does it still turn off?
Turn the light on, set it to high, press and hold button until turbo kicks on (it turns of for a bit while activating turbo) wait 30 seconds.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
My light is in my toolbox at work so I can't test it, it's quite possible I'm wrong.
If you do this does it still turn off?
Turn the light on, set it to high, press and hold button until turbo kicks on (it turns of for a bit while activating turbo) wait 30 seconds.

I am 99% sure that activating turbo from high, that the light still turns off. I will check tomorrow for sure.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I was wrong. If you go into turbo from high it will step down. If you go into turbo from off it will turn off after 30 seconds. Sorry for the misinformation guys. Still the best headlamp Vinh makes.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
After everything I've read and researched, makes the HL55 the way to go. To bad I don't have the extra cash right now, so in a month I'll be purchasing an HL55vn:thumbsup:

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
After everything I've read and researched, makes the HL55 the way to go. To bad I don't have the extra cash right now, so in a month I'll be purchasing an HL55vn:thumbsup:

I ended up getting one, since I didn't realize Vinh was having a Labour Day Sale on his lights, so I'm pretty pumped to get my headlamp and 2 extra batteries lovecpf

I suggest anyone considering a light from Vinh, to get one while the sale is going on. Better hurry up I think it ends at midnight PST :twothumbs:clap:

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
Before I saw that Vinh had a HL55 headlamp for sale, I purchased a factory Fenix HL55 from Amazon 4 months ago.

Since I have both headlamps, I figured I would show the difference between the 2.

Both have had some run time on them, so the batteries weren't a 100%, but they were nowhere close to dead...I'd say they were at 75% if I had to guess.

The distance to the swingset was approx. 25-30 ft.

Here are the photos.
Control
h5ha0ut.jpg

Factory Light Output
Eco
9YgFTRx.jpg

Low
wL19obB.jpg

Med
4nttMXS.jpg

High
zaYXoh7.jpg

Turbo/Boost
5VLLN0r.jpg

As you can see the factory headlamp has good output, but when compared to the Vinh modded light there's no comparison imo :wow:

Here are the photos of the HL55vn headlamp
Eco
J0OFlu4.jpg

Low
97r9kZL.jpg

Med
1AUSoWJ.jpg

High
nbqGwTJ.jpg

Turbo/Boost
PouEtiy.jpg

To show the throw of the light, we put each headlamp on Turbo and directed them to my neighbors house approx 75-85 yards away.

Here are the pictures.
Factory
qpgvVVF.jpg

Modified
jhdkXmu.jpg

As you can see the HL55vn is well worth the money.:twothumbs

Last edited:

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comparison 3L3M3NT. It's not often we get owners to compare factory and V54 lights. It's an awesome headlight for sure.

3L3M3NT

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comparison 3L3M3NT. It's not often we get owners to compare factory and V54 lights. It's an awesome headlight for sure.

I'm glad I can help other people see the difference in performance and why it's money well spent to get a light from Vinh.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I tested the boosted version of this light to only make 850 OTF Lumen max. The stock is dimmer although not measured. This mean stock claim of 900 is too optimistic.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
XML2 U4 -1125 lumens - is that for the 30 second boost mode or high? If boost can you test high please.

Numbers are always for the highest mode possible. I will test the next time I got the light out.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Numbers are always for the highest mode possible. I will test the next time I got the light out.

I figured that so thank you. It doesn't seem to be a large jump from high to boost so I am gonna guess high is around 950 lumens. Thanks gain Vinh.

Mr.PT

Newly Enlightened
How long does this usually run for before needing another battery.

Bigwilly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't recall timing it but somewhere around 30 - 40 minutes on high I would say.