You Just Know Your A Flashaholic When......

jwyj

Enlightened
When I go on a business trip across country,
... I spend more time planning my meet with fellow flasholics.
... all the space in my checked luggage is filled with batteries & flashlights instead of business materials.​

LedTed

Enlightened
... when your kitty knocks your EDC light off of your nightstand, and it makes you smirk, because you know that she knows it's the new light you got delivered that afternoon.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
... all the space in my checked luggage is filled with batteries & flashlights instead of business materials.​

I'm guilty of looking for flashaholics where I go. So far I have been much more successful at getting the travelling flashaholics to come to my local GT's, in short:

... When you organise GT's to accomodate flashaholics from the other end of the country visiting your town

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
... a romantic "candlelight dinner" takes on an entirely different meaning, and you've set the table accordingly.
... there's only you at that dinner table.
... you've exclaimed "Golly Gee Whiz" after realizing umbrellas with reflective or lightly colored undersides are being sold out there.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
hahah I like it!
I'm guilty of looking for flashaholics where I go. So far I have been much more successful at getting the travelling flashaholics to come to my local GT's, in short:

... When you organise GT's to accomodate flashaholics from the other end of the country visiting your town

GT = gathering?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by wjv
When the local Search & Rescue team stops at your house to pick up batteries and lights before responding to a call-out. . .

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Monocrom
When it's dark out ... And Search & Rescue teams come to your door to borrow your lights.

You guys must live real near each other! :eek:oo:

LOL

Or when the dispatcher calls you, and tells you to gather up a search team...and you go borrow more lights and cells from Monocrom and wjv to have enough to equip everyone....because you only have enough for the first 50 or so people.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
GT = gathering?

Gathering or Get Together (older chat room term)

Or when the dispatcher calls you, and tells you to gather up a search team...and you go borrow more lights and cells from Monocrom and wjv to have enough to equip everyone....because you only have enough for the first 50 or so people.

Just 50? Do they carry food for a 2 day search?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Gathering or Get Together (older chat room term)

Just 50? Do they carry food for a 2 day search?

It depends on the search....so far, most are 24 hour affairs if its for a missing person, but can be months if a disaster response....for Irene and Sandy for example, I was away from home for months.

For small areas, a half dozen people can sometimes cover areas the choppers can't see, etc.

Night vision and FLIR, etc, can find stuff really well under many conditions...but sometimes you need to beat the bushes...as you need to get a line of sight and in some places, that means you are on the ground.

Drainage ditches are a good example. If there's over head tree/canopy obstructions...anyone in a ditch is invisible even with FLIR, and often the ditches wind about, so you can only see so many yards of a ditch at a time. You end of walking down the ditch, as even shining down the banks means the weeds, etc, can keep you from seeing INTO it, etc.

If you only have a 50 yard line of sight, and need to have men on the ground following trails and ditch runs and so forth, you just can't hand out 50 pieces of $6k - $50k equipment ('cause you don't HAVE it)...you might have one or two of the fancy stuff, and then you use flashlights for the rest.

:D

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmkayyy... So I was wrong in thinking you were underestimating how many lights those 2 flashaholics probably have...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
TEEJ;4288113[B said:
][/B]
LOL

Only 50? I've got more lights than that sitting behind me right now in storage bins.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Only 50? I've got more lights than that sitting behind me right now in storage bins.

I'm only counting the lights typically used in searches TK70/75-ish stuff plus the HIDs and throwers if there's longer sight lines, etc.

And I did say I needed more because I only have enough for the first 50 or so....so you guys would be chipping in the DIFFERENCE.

Do you have 50 lights with either over 2-4k lumens and/or over 200 - 400k cd?

In a bin behind you?

With Hurricane season approaching?

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget EDC sized lights for small breaks during the search... they would need more than just one light per person, not even counting the need for backups...

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Don't forget EDC sized lights for small breaks during the search... they would need more than just one light per person, not even counting the need for backups...

LOL

They should have their own 1 = 0 EDC lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm only counting the lights typically used in searches TK70/75-ish stuff plus the HIDs and throwers if there's longer sight lines, etc.

And I did say I needed more because I only have enough for the first 50 or so....so you guys would be chipping in the DIFFERENCE.

Do you have 50 lights with either over 2-4k lumens and/or over 200 - 400k cd?

In a bin behind you?

With Hurricane season approaching?

Actually, yes ... Yes I do. :wave:

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
hehe ... and what a disappointment this year must have been as far as hurricanes go. Not a single US landfall.

Just goes to show how much of a racket the hurricane prediction industry is.

Latest posts