ZebraLight H502 XM-L

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Re: ZebraLight H502 X-ML

I wonder what the low will be? 240 lumens on 1XAA? Wow, that's a bunch of light.

tygger

Enlightened

Great Scott! regarding the high end. That's a lot of light. Although I don't care so much about the high as I do about the midrange.

I am just hoping for 30-60 lumens in the midrange with a long runtime.

And no parabolic reflector.

My thoughts exactly.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

The King is building a new castle on Headlamp Hill. It's nice that they are inviting everyone to visit.

:party: :party: :party:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast

H502w is my next headlamp!

I just returned a H51Fw because the beam was sad compared to my H501.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

I speculate closer to 300 Lm. :eek:

- Jas.

edit: oh, and down to around .1 Lm

Wow but we will have to see. That .1 Lm thing looks good. I hope they have a nice med setting that will run long. Too big of a jump between med and high on the H50-H501 but like them a bunch. Then again with settings it is hard to please everyone. The tint on the H501 cool LED was miles better than my H50 so despite my like of the w models if ZL stays picky with their tints aka no **** green or crazy blue a cool would be ok for me. I read these are going to be made in the USA. Is this true? If so a big plus as they could be fixed here should something should go wrong.

Gregozedobe

Enlightened

I hope they bring back the simpler UI of the old models and get rid of flashing modes. I don't like any of this nonsense with mode 1 and mode 2 and mode 55 and click click press hold double click triple click do the chicken dance.

I quite like the choice of 6 output levels you get with the latest (multi-level ie H1/H2, M1/M2 and L1/L2) UIs. You only have to set once and forget. Much better for me than the fixed 3 levels of the early UIs.

Plus you only ever see the dreaded flashing disco-mode when you double-click 6 times, so it is well out of the way of anyone except the compulsive click-artists ;)

JA(me)S

Enlightened

Wow but we will have to see. That .1 Lm thing looks good. I hope they have a nice med setting that will run long. Too big of a jump between med and high on the H50-H501 but like them a bunch. Then again with settings it is hard to please everyone. The tint on the H501 cool LED was miles better than my H50 so despite my like of the w models if ZL stays picky with their tints aka no **** green or crazy blue a cool would be ok for me. I read these are going to be made in the USA. Is this true? If so a big plus as they could be fixed here should something should go wrong.
I agree with the mode spacing concerns - but I like the current (H51 series) spacing Lm percentage options. Hopefully there will be a mode on the H502 at around 60 Lm for 10-12 hours; this would be a quite useful setting.

I believe the H502 will be produced in China...

- Jas.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hopefully there will be a mode on the H502 at around 60 Lm for 10-12 hours; this would be a quite useful setting.

And THAT's the setting that will have me ditching all my previous headlamps to buy the new H502. When working in the dark I "need" 30 lumens minimum and 50 is preferred. Whatever it is, it just needs to last for the 4+ hours from start to lunch, and from lunch to quit; any more is icing on the cake.

I've always wondered why headlamp mfgrs don't grok the need for 4- and 8-hour duration. Just gimme your best for 4 or 8 hours. That's what's asked of me, and that's what I ask of my light.

BTW: 37 lumen for 10 hours is what the H60w put out on an 18650. Would be amazing to see that in a 1xAA format.

Djonah Inc.

Newly Enlightened

Oh boy! I was looking at the 501, but I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger yet...
If they come out, why not organise a group buy? If organised, count me in!!

fnj

Enlightened

Having heard that the SC600 will be all modes current regulated, no PWM, I'm hoping the H502 may be the same. That would rock.

stp

Newly Enlightened

CaseyTan, in another thread (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?314206-Zebralight-Newer-doesn-t-mean-better), posted a spreadsheet from Zebralight listing current and proposed lights. The T5 is listed as 300 lumens, and given that it will share a driver with the H502, the H502 should be similar output.

Yep, but there is still one unknown - the runtime. It's always nice to have option for more lumens but for how long?

If my speculations from here: XM-L-vs.-XP-G-comparision-follow-up-to-discussions-about-XM-L-in-ZL-H51 are correct then it means that XM-L will be used mostly for better (floody) beam pattern (H501 like). The lumens gain is mostly matter of better driver (current one wastes about 45% of power as heat).

Now, I understand that some people were little disappointed with H51 beam so its great news but it would be interesting to see updated driver combined with XP-G (or XM-L but with H51 optics) - H52. It could be very nice edc light with little more throw when needed, about 250-260 lumens (with XP-G) and no visible PWM.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened

I hope the neutral white version won't come out much later...this sound sooo tempting.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yep, but there is still one unknown - the runtime. It's always nice to have option for more lumens but for how long?

If my speculations from here: XM-L-vs.-XP-G-comparision-follow-up-to-discussions-about-XM-L-in-ZL-H51 are correct then it means that XM-L will be used mostly for better (floody) beam pattern (H501 like). The lumens gain is mostly matter of better driver (current one wastes about 45% of power as heat).

Now, I understand that some people were little disappointed with H51 beam so its great news but it would be interesting to see updated driver combined with XP-G (or XM-L but with H51 optics) - H52. It could be very nice edc light with little more throw when needed, about 250-260 lumens (with XP-G) and no visible PWM.

Yes, H52 would be an ideal upgrade for H51 while H502 is the logical upgrade for H501.

Zebralight said earlier that it will take 3-4 months to get NW XM-L for the SC600. I hope they will acquire enough to cover the H502 as well. This way by the time they release the H502, it will come in both cool and NW at the same time. From a business standpoint, it would benefit them to release both the cool and neutral white versions in time for the Christmas shopping spree.

JA(me)S

Enlightened

stp,

I took a look at all the work you did - very impressive first post! It's both a shame and unusual no one responded... Anyway, thanks for the contribution and..

:welcome: - Jas.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast

If they come out, why not organise a group buy? If organised, count me in!!

It's your idea...why don't you organize it? First stop is to see whether Zebralight even gives breaks for group buys. Chances are high us flashoholics will buy at full price anyway...

stp

Newly Enlightened

stp,

I took a look at all the work you did - very impressive first post! It's both a shame and unusual no one responded... Anyway, thanks for the contribution and..

:welcome: - Jas.

:thanks: and don't worry, it's my fault - I should have choosen other subforum.

ZebraLight

Enlightened

Having heard that the SC600 will be all modes current regulated, no PWM, I'm hoping the H502 may be the same. That would rock.

Yes. Starting with the SC600, all future models will be current regulated, no more PWM.