ZebraLight H502 XM-L

riccardo.dv

Newly Enlightened
My zebra arrived today. I was so excited for it that I wanted to put it in my sink. This is what I got, thanks IPX8 :mad:

(sry for the pics, it is my phone)

dsc0567mo.jpg

dsc0565t.jpg

dsc0558p.jpg

I contacted the shop for a rma, hope to get a real waterproof light next time :hairpull:

riccardo.dv

Newly Enlightened
Can you describe what happened? I can't tell anything from your photos, except you have a very green halo on the beam.

exept for the green halo (very noticeable) I have water in the lens! there is a drop on the right side of the lens and the beam is asimmetric. I'm very disappointed with this, it is brand new, and 30 seconds under 10cm of water shouldn't be an issue. Btw I wrote to zebralight and i sent them the light for an RMA, hope to get it back soon. Anyone has experience with zebra rma?

thaugen

Enlightened
Sorry about your H502...I have had positive experiences with ZL in the past regarding returns. You'll have to be patient, but they will eventually get in contact with you and should take good care of you.

riccardo.dv

Newly Enlightened
Sorry about your H502...I have had positive experiences with ZL in the past regarding returns. You'll have to be patient, but they will eventually get in contact with you and should take good care of you.

how much "patience"? 1 month?

thaugen

Enlightened
It only took Lillian a few days to get back to my e-mail. They will take care of you.

I returned my H502 because of a nasty green ring. I was issued a full refund, but I had to pay for return shipping.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
great shots Bolster!
from the comparison pic it looks just a touch rosier than the H501w. are you finding the max mode on the H502c any significant improvement over the max on the H501w? seems like the extra lumens plus wider beam would equal out in terms of effectiveness.

i was getting pretty excited until is saw that big water droplet! what a deal breaker! even if it passes an initial dunk test, what would happen if i dropped the light on concrete? i fear it might not pass after that.:sigh:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using my H502 extensively for a few days and I have been very impressed.

The green halo is a absolutely a NON issue when actually using the light, It only shows up if you look for it on a white wall. The XML tends to be this way with all my XML lights. A very small trade-off for the Brightness / Efficiency of the H502.

In actual use, the flood distribution is perfect, everything within reach is evenly lit.

I for one love the Glow in the Dark "reflector", a quick blast on High charges the GITD and its actually brighter than the .01 Lumen mode, I think this is a very cool feature. Along with the GITD Head band, it helps locating the light in the dark. The GITD material is very bright.

The Cool White tint is perfect for my needs. Pairing this light with my SC600, I have the ultimate EDC combo for work.

And the lowest output, 3 months on one AA? That's outstanding.

Very happy with my purchase!

-Bobby

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Cool White tint is perfect for my needs. Pairing this light with my SC600, I have the ultimate EDC combo for work.

Oh I recognize you Bobby! The electrician who likes cool white. That is so puzzling to me; when I'm working on electrical that's when I want warm high CRI the most. There have been times with cool tints I literally could not tell the color of one wire from another and had to grab an incan. I work with an electrician who also won't touch cool, for that same reason. But I see the cool works just great for you. Interesting!

Have you dunked your H502 yet? I want to get a few more photos before I dunk mine.

marcis

Newly Enlightened
Received my H502 today. unfortunately the green halo is present.. although I would not call it so much a "green halo" to me it looks more like the neutral tint on my Spark SD-52 NW. It's more neutral looking than green to my eyes. One thing I see, that I have not yet read on this forum is that if you hold the light 6 inches away from a "whitish" wall I can clearly see a "hotspot" which to my eyes is just the emitter, but it is brighter than the rest of the beam. Back to the greenish halo, I personally think the GITD ring is causing that. When the GITD is activated, and the light is turned off, I can clearly see a thicker green band at the edge of the light which looks responsible for the "halo". With all that said, so far I love the light. The cool white XML looks better than the cool white XPG in my H51F. To my eyes, and 2 hours of testing, it is no where near as blue as my H51F xpg zebra.

I have not yet tried the dunk test, and I won't until I've had the light for a couple of days. Got to let the excitement of a new light cool down before finding out it does not meet IPX8 standards :)

Last edited:

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
The CW tint of the H502 is perfect. I have never had any trouble telling wire colors apart (While using a flashlight) The colors are usually high contrast to each other (Black/Red/Blue or Brown/Orange/Yellow) and of course Green

Most of the time I'm using a light to work in or trace out gray cables in a dark ceiling. As a comercial electrician I sometimes work in unpainted concrete rooms or warehouse buildings. Conduit, Junction boxes, Jacketed cable ect. is all gray. Ever try using a Warm light In an all gray environment? It turns everything murky brown (In my experience) and gives me a head ache. Cool white doesn't do this at all.

For outdoors use I have started using a Malkoff M61-219 and I am starting to appreciate the High CRI (Can you believe that?:faint:), but for my job I rely on Cool White.

I'm glad we have options!

:poof:

-Bobby

Oh I recognize you Bobby! The electrician who likes cool white. That is so puzzling to me; when I'm working on electrical that's when I want warm high CRI the most. There have been times with cool tints I literally could not tell the color of one wire from another and had to grab an incan. I work with an electrician who also won't touch cool, for that same reason. But I see the cool works just great for you. Interesting!

Have you dunked your H502 yet? I want to get a few more photos before I dunk mine.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Color rendition comparison... top left box is red-orange, top right box is aqua-blue. I uploaded a much larger photo but it must have gotten downsized along the way. To my eye, studying the full size original, H502c does modestly better than the H501w on dark aqua, dark red, and dark purple. Also renders the medium-toned boxes a little better. Both of them blow away the old blue-tint H50.

HONESTLY I'm not too happy with my attempts to show color here, never tried to show color rendition before, and would do a lot of things differently on the next attempt. Color swatches need to be larger, and similar colors need to be adjacent. Maybe these can hold you over until I get a better setup for color.

ZLColorComparisonSm.jpg

Last edited:

ibu

Newly Enlightened
Is it true, that there will be no H502w but only H502, H502c and H502d?

The tint of the H502c is 4000K as ZL writes on their website.
That is almost the same temperature as of the H501w with it's 4300K.

Thanks.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it true, that there will be no H502w but only H502, H502c and H502d?

The tint of the H502c is 4000K as ZL writes on their website.
That is almost the same temperature as of the H501w with it's 4300K.

Thanks.

There will be a H502w, but the release date has not been posted on zebralight's website yet. Zebralight told me recently that they are waiting on "the neutral tint LED's that they like" before releasing this light. The color temp is listed as 4200k on their website. To read up on this info go to zebralight's website & click on the red button that says "compare all models."

ibu

Newly Enlightened
@outdoorsman5

Thanks for the hints.
Do you think it's worth to wait for the 502w, compared to the 502c?

It seems, that the 502w will have a higher maximum output as the 502c, isn't it?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting for the H502w here. It should be next in brightness after the cool version. I have a HCRI Quark Mini AA XPG. While I love the warm tint of that light, it's just not bright enough. A warm version XML should be a good compromise between brightness and tint. Also, keep in mind that, the more floody the light, the more diffused the beam intensity becomes. In other words, I need my flood lights to be as bright as possible to make up for that diffused beam intensity.

Last edited:

ibu

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. So I will wait for the 502w too.
Unfortunately I never get a newsletter from ZL to know when I can preorder a lamp, though I'm registered for it.
They can't find the cause for it.
Of course I checked my spam folder.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm waiting for the H502w as well for the reasons davidt1 listed. I love my H501w, but have on occasion wished it were brighter & had a wider beam. Hopefully the new H502w will be just right & worth the wait. Also, the 4200k color of the LED is great, so I will wait.