How many Flashaholics in Oz?

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought I'd try to send a feeler out to see how many Aussies there are on CPF and what their favorite lights and suppliers are?

I have just found this wonderful site and I believe it has begun an obsession (much to my other half's excitment Not)

Update

I have now logged 108, 114, 119, NOW 122 (21/01/07) Aussie CPF'ers from this thread and also from the member search area (thanks tazambo).

Sydney = 22
Melbourne = 22
Perth = 8
Brisbane = 6
Adelaide = 4
Canberra = 4
Gippsland = 2
Cairns = 2
Townsville = 1
Launceston = 1
Newcastle = 2
Mackay = 1

The other members are somewhere else in Australia no cities or towns listed.
I am still assuming that this is only a percentage of Aussies out there on CPF!
popcorn.gif

PS: If you put your city along with the country (Australia) I can compile the stats that much faster. Obviously at your discretion of course

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Mate

I wouldn't consider myself a flashaholic just yet, but i found this forum when i was doing a bit of research for a light for work and I am from OZ, the lovely sunny QLD.

After reading some of these posts i am already looking to upgrade lights, much to the dismay of my other half. :whistle:

Delvance

Enlightened
RAWR. Sydney here...i probably would consider myself a flashaholic.

My favourite lights would be my cusom hotwire ROP, 6P with R123x2 and DRB 9V HP, and the Raw on my keychain. As far as suppliers go...hard to nail it down to one - each have their pros and cons but it does seem i mainly buy from either www.lighthound.com, www.opticshq.com and www.qualitychinagoods.com.

keeperSD, welcome to CPF mate :rock:

Pila_Power

Enlightened
I probably would consider myself one too Delv. Perth here.

I'm still stunned from hearing about Steve. I bet he had some cool dive lights.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thats not a bad roll out so far. I guess I wasn't sure what to expect but I was curious.

I have had a lot of trouble finding decent local suppliers. Non of them stock the knid of light which seem to be the mainstay of the CPF world (the quality one's).

I have used Torchworld (http://www.torchworld.com.au/catalog/index.php) and his service has been great so far. He actualy lead me here!

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
KeeperSD said:
Mate

I wouldn't consider myself a flashaholic just yet, but i found this forum when i was doing a bit of research for a light for work and I am from OZ, the lovely sunny QLD.

After reading some of these posts i am already looking to upgrade lights, much to the dismay of my other half. :whistle:

Dont get me started about my other half. She just doesn't understand! I tell her its a bloke thing and that's all she needs to know!

:dedhorse:

Haz

Enlightened
I'm a flashaholic here. My favorite lights are the Streamlight 4AA Propolymer Luxeon, the Surefire A2, and the CR2 ION Titanium. I think Lighthound is a great supplier, as well as Dae from Qualitychinagoods. I also buy from various ebay dealers too.

I've completed a survey of CFPer's recently, and have updated the results. People in OZ make up a significant part of CPF taking into consideration the population numbers. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/1578446#post1578446

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Concept said:
Dont get me started about my other half. She just doesn't understand! I tell her its a bloke thing and that's all she needs to know!

:dedhorse:

I have just told my other half that they are needed for work, she can't really argue with that, especially since they are then a tax deduction. :)

Thanks for the welcome Delvance

My first light i bought about 3 weeks ago is a Inova T3, i bought it from http://www.batteryjunction.com who i found excellent to deal with and a great price too. I sent them a number of emails, all of which were replied to without a problem. I was a little dubious about buying it from overseas, but the cost of freighting still put the price well under anything i could find in Australia and it was delivered within 5 days.

Now that i have started using the T3 at work, i am looking for something with a little more throw. I love the size of the T3 and the run time, but over about 40 metres the light because a little washed out. I have found it really good for back yards and inside houses though.

dangerman

Newly Enlightened
Another Sydney flashaholic here as well. Welcome to the forum.

Favourite light: Surefire A2 Aviator

Mind you I love almost all my lights for many different reasons. Some other great favourites are:
  • The R500 Scorpion which has amazing light and build quality for the price.
  • Arc AAA bullet proof reliability and very unobtrusive on the key ring.
  • Fenix P1 tiny, relatively cheap but very bright.

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeper SD
I told my missus the same thing. Good old Johny Howard will give a discount at tax time.

dangerman

Thanks for the welcome. What is the R500 Scorpian?

segan

Newly Enlightened
Perth member here.

Fav light is probably my HDS EDC U60. Got an ARC AAA on my key ring as well. Also own a couple of Surefire lights (Z2, E1L). I like them all for different reasons. Haven't bought anything for about a year though, looks like another purchase could be in the cards.

Got some of my lights from B/S/T on CPF, the rest from various online suppliers based in USA. I found as a general rule, all the local aussie shops / online retailers charge way too much.

Delvance

Enlightened
R500, there's also a massive thread over in "Incandescent" regarding this light. It's very nice, especially when the price is considered. Poor mans SF M6-R.

segan,
Our local stores definitely charge an arm and a leg for lights huh. I've seen Inova X0s for $120 and the T3 for $200 :eek: . When i bought my first proper light (before i knew of CPF)...i paid $60 for an Inova X1 in a retail store lol.

There are more aussies on the board than most would think. From the first and second sydney CPF meet i've attended, i can think of at least 10 members located around Sydney, and there were a few who couldn't make it too.

Dangerman,
Heh, good call on the SF A2. Another one of my fav's...somehow i totally forgot about it. I thought it was the best EDC ever...till i attached my raw to my keychain. Still, they're both equal to me.

Pila Power,
900+ posts, sep 2004 join date...yep you're a flashaholic alright :goodjob: . Nice sigline btw!

Last edited:

Concept

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far it has only been capital cities that I have noticed posting to this thread I guess it makes sense but I did expect one or two from regional centers!

My collection is in the feotal stage at the moment with an Ultra bright 3 Led clip light (first Led light), Led Lenser David 15, Fenix L2T and a Fenix P1 on the way. I'm not counting my incandesants (Duracell and Energizer) not what interests me.

PS: I wish I had found 4 sevens earlier!

Do any of the guys from the capital cities ever meet for a bit of a light up!