If I Already Own a TM16, is it worth it to Buy a TM26?

GunRaptor

Newly Enlightened
So, today's deal of the day on Andrew-Amanda is the TM26.

Seeing as I already own a TM16 and quite love it, I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to pick up the TM26 for about $200.

As far as my uses, pretty varied, but nothing professional. More just hobby status, and maybe use while camping sometime in the future.

However, I'm just not sure if the two lights are different enough to justify dropping $200 for the TM26. I've tried searching the review threads and youtube videos, and I can't find critical comparisons between the two lights. Yes, you'll see them side by side, but there's nothing directly looking at the utility of one vs the other. You'll see the TM16 compared to the TK75, and the TM26 compared the the Noctigon M43 Meteor.

Thanks, and the advise is much appreciated.

apisano747

Newly Enlightened
It is a different type of flashlight. Much floodier that the TM16(I have both). It is a cool addition. I have the 3800 lumen version. It is rechargeable and has a neat oled display. Worth it for a great light and for your collection. GREAT price.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I see it, the only area where the TM26 excels is that one can get the TM36 extended run time battery for it (at additional cost, of course). I have never been a fan of the TM26 as far as its looks go. If you want a floodier light to go along with your TM16, get a TM06 or an EC4S. Both complement the TM16 without duplicating functions.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The TM26 is a simple twist to (electrical path) lock out the batteries. I think you should try something else. If you were also going to get a TM36, then the battery cases are nice to be able to swap with the 26. The TM16 is a nice light.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
FWIW, the TM26 is a step way down (half) from the output of a TM16. Now a more expensive ($350.00 USD) light, that's a step-up, is the Amazon provided TM36 Lite.

The point, wait and when you can, do. Why step-down when you can step up and why go inferior when you can wait, and go superior? Just asking.

Myself? Among many other lights, I have a TM16 and currently, I'm waiting to go superior. :D..... Well, that was after buying a brother for the EC4; an EC4S. I'm also looking to add a little sister light, an MH20 but I think the TM36 Lite has a higher priority.

I'm so confused. :D

Last edited:

GunRaptor

Newly Enlightened
Welp, I think given the thoughts in this thread, I'll let this one go and save my $$$$s for something new. All things considered, I don't have a specific need for the TM26, nor the TM16 for that matter, and there are many other types of lights to explore...and to build. For now, I think I'll sit tight, and maybe eyeball some soldering irons and other needs.

And I've been following the EC4S very closely...it looks very impressive, and I'll be looking into one eventually, I'm sure. I am having some difficulty understanding all of the excitement over it in comparison to the slightly larger and slightly dimmer P36, however.

Regardless, I'd like to thank all who contributed for their thoughts. The sale ends in 4 hours, and I'll be asleep sooner than that, but hopefully some TM26's found their way to good homes today.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think most of the excitement is coming from the fact that the EC4S and the EA81 are using the XHP50 die rather than the XM-L2. From the numbers, it appears the XHP50 is a lot more efficient than the XM-L2, and the excitement is in seeing what kind of lights they will excel in.

GunRaptor

Newly Enlightened
Yeah....I'm very much enjoying my EA81....8 Eneloops Pros = 2150 lumens, with ability to take alkalines in a pinch with no performance loss....it's quite nice. I'm curious why it wasn't designed to accommodate 14500s, but that's a minor issue.

However, the EC4S is only matching the performance of a similar light by the same company....I'd hope for a bit more in terms of reach or run time, if not lumens, as I really don't see "die cast body" as a great selling point unless it means the light is less expensive than competitive options. At least in order to justify all the hype, that is....but regardless, the P36 and EC4S both look good, with strong overall performance in both camps of LEDs. I just still feel like I'm missing something about it that everyone else is loving.....

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah....I'm very much enjoying my EA81....8 Eneloops Pros = 2150 lumens, with ability to take alkalines in a pinch with no performance loss....it's quite nice. I'm curious why it wasn't designed to accommodate 14500s, but that's a minor issue.

However, the EC4S is only matching the performance of a similar light by the same company....I'd hope for a bit more in terms of reach or run time, if not lumens, as I really don't see "die cast body" as a great selling point unless it means the light is less expensive than competitive options. At least in order to justify all the hype, that is....but regardless, the P36 and EC4S both look good, with strong overall performance in both camps of LEDs. I just still feel like I'm missing something about it that everyone else is loving.....

I like the EC4S due to the compact size, but more output than a 1x18650. I also decided the popcan style lights are too much bulk for me. 3x18650 is my limit (Eagletac MX25L3C has a nice feel in the hand). So the form factor of this EC4S is very appealing.

I think the 1100lm mode running 2:15 is a little weak for 2x18650. Plenty of 1x18650 lights come close to that. I guess it could be closer to 3hr with higher capacity cells. Either way, I can't really complain. I don't see the die cast as being a huge selling point. I'd rather have more weight and a nice anodizing. This die cast and coating feels cheap to me.

For the price, I would definitely pass on the TM26.

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saying; can a single 18650 light do +2k lm?

FWIW, the 2hr15min time is based on a 2600 mAh battery as opposed to what most around here use, a 3400 mAh battery which has some 30% more run time in them.

Just to be clear, I'm a fan of the TM16 and the EC4 that I have. They make a very nice couple. I'm not a fan of the EC4S that I also have.

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illumination Supply has the TM26 listed as a regular price of $199 if you are a registered customer.

The TM26 has imo a very good feel in the hand. I've got large hands and unlike the TM06, the light is easier to orient the light in hand and puts out much more light than the TM06. The LED display works well and the low light setting runs for a claimed 1000 hours. The battery insertion is a breeze with all facing the same direction unlike the newer lights. It is a couple of inches shorter than the TM16 and has the added benefit of being able to charge the batteries inside the light. Also, the light will fit inside a coat pocket. Comes supplied with a holster unlike the TM16.

If you are thinking of purchasing a TM36, I wouldn't suggest getting the LITE version. While it sounds kinda neat to be able to use 4 18650 batteries, the light is very front heavy. I have the TM36 with both the NBP-52 and the LITE version. I also purchased a backup NBP-52 for my lights and no longer use the LITE battery tube. It sits in reserve if needed.

You need to try out one of Nitecore's lights with the display. It will give you a better understanding of the effects of the various lumen levels have on the batteries. I also like the shutter button style switch.

akhyar

Enlightened

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks!

But the point is still the 1100 mode. 2:15 seems low to me.

Just saying, if one were using 3400 mAh 18650s, the time would go up to a hair under three hours. Despite this point, I'm still a fan of the EC4/TM16/MH20/HC90 mix of lights, all using 3400 mAh 18650s. I'm still looking for the money to purchase the MH20. :D

Also, again just saying, the batteries go on the charger, before I need them, and should I need them, I would be carrying spare batteries in little plastic lockout boxes.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Just saying, if one were using 3400 mAh 18650s, the time would go up to a hair under three hours. Despite this point, I'm still a fan of the EC4/TM16/MH20/HC90 mix of lights, all using 3400 mAh 18650s. I still looking for the money to purchase the MH20. :D

I'm using 3500mAh now so I guess I can't complain with 3hr. TK35UE is right around there with a 3400mAh cell. Loving this light!

I had the TM16 and MH20...sold both. 50% of time I regret my sales. Both of those fall into that 50% :( I see a MH20W in my future if the price drops, though. Or if a seller with coupon starts selling it.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
GunRaptor.
Please excuse this divergence.
With a thick, shock-cord lanyard, and holding near the front of the heat-sink fins, the Tm36 'Lite' is comfortably balanced for me. Given that it is a fairly heavy flashlight, I carried it for maybe 2 hours through Carlsbad Caverns; on a guided tour, then we walked up all the way out. It is significantly less weight without the NiteCore NBP-52 Battery pack. I keep that battery pack in reserve. (It helps in this case to have large hands)

Parrot Quack

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's this? I haven't heard of this before. What's the logic behind it?

Among many, these are different lights which I have........well, except for the MH20. When I have the spare change, I will add this light to the mix. Between the many lights, I expect to have my flashlight needs taken care of. For giggles, I also expect to add the TM36.

My apologies for finding my comments confusing. I've read that my writings can be confusing.

Last edited: